Options list narrowing down...Touch Radio - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2013, 12:01 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Options list narrowing down...Touch Radio

While waiting for Reace and Tammy to return next Monday from their holiday, I have been trying to resolve a couple of options. One is the radio situation. Although the "Touch" radio Escape installs has gotten bad reviews, I'm wondering what alternative I have. Does it play dvd's for the television and does the tv sound come thru the cabinet mounted speakers. Looks like there are 2 large rear and 2 small front speakers. I'm a little hard of hearing (and hard headed) so 4 speakers may make it more enjoyable. Is there a separate external antenna? I like the weather channel option also.
What about the speakers, do the big ones take away a lot of cabinet space, where is the radio mounted, can it be put anywhere? Thanks for any help on this option.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:51 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
I can't speak about the Touch radio specifically, but the points I considered in answering this question for myself were:
- Touch system had bad reviews on the user interface.
- reviews are irrelevant regarding sound quality -- it's subjective so you have to hear it yourself.
- audio equipment is easy to install after the fact.
- video equipment is irrelevant to me. If my wife wants her news or TV fix, she can use her laptop.

I decided I'd look into an aftermarket car stereo for the trailer.

I never got that far, though. I ran across a review for an inexpensive but very good sounding amplifier which runs off 12v. I ordered it and am playing with it now. My intention is to mount it under the overhead shelf at the front of the trailer, with a small bookshelf-style speaker mounted under the shelf in each corner. I'll feed the amplifier with a small mp3 player (which includes a radio).

Jim: this doesn't help you with your weather channel, or your requirement to play dvds. It might help with your hearing, since it's easier to make out the audio when it's a quality sound.

For myself, it doesn't solve the problem of outdoor music. I don't (yet) have a satisfactory solution for that one.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:56 PM   #3

Doug,
Any pictures of your set up. For outside I use a bluetooth speaker for my iPhone music.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:40 PM   #4

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
I've always liked the DeWalt job site radio. AM, FM, and Aux for iPod tunes etc. when plugged in to shore power or my inverter it also charges the battery I use in my DeWalt drill for raising and lowering the levelling jacks. It works inside and outside and also provides 3 additional electrical sockets. Once it's charged, it can go with you to the lake!
About $150.00.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:29 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Is there a separate external antenna? What about the speakers, do the big ones take away a lot of cabinet space...
My external AM antenna is mounted somewhere inside the cabinet by the radio itself--I can't see it. I have Kenwood 6.75" speakers mounted in the back. Quite frankly, I haven't even noticed them behind the cabinet facing and I have stuff stored all along that shelf. The days of bigger speakers making for better sound are long gone.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:16 PM   #6

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Quote:
While waiting for Reace and Tammy to return next Monday from their holiday, I have been trying to resolve a couple of options. One is the radio situation. Although the "Touch" radio Escape installs has gotten bad reviews, I'm wondering what alternative I have. Does it play dvd's for the television and does the tv sound come thru the cabinet mounted speakers. Looks like there are 2 large rear and 2 small front speakers. I'm a little hard of hearing (and hard headed) so 4 speakers may make it more enjoyable. Is there a separate external antenna? I like the weather channel option also.
What about the speakers, do the big ones take away a lot of cabinet space, where is the radio mounted, can it be put anywhere? Thanks for any help on this option.
Jim, I think you are better off putting in your own stereo but I suggest that you have Reace mount the speakers and run your wiring. That is a lot of work. I mounted the four that I put in (each corner of the trailer) facing downward in each corner. It used no storage space and the sound is great. Here are a few pics...

Here is the location of the stereo over the dinette entrance. This is when you want to be able to reach the volume control....

It's mounted in a surface mounted enclosure....really nice! I also added an AM/FM Sherwood marine antenna mounted horizontally above the entrance door.

Steve
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:27 PM   #7

I like those speakers, surface mounted? No holes correct? Please post where you got them and your radio info, I may just do that in the rear dinette area. Thanks, Steve.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:30 PM   #8

Quote:
I like those speakers, surface mounted? No holes correct? Please post where you got them and your radio info, I may just do that in the rear dinette area. Thanks, Steve.
There are a few small holes for the speaker wiring and the 4 mounting screw holes. I'll get the list together for you...
Old 07-28-2013, 04:30 PM   #9

I just noticed your corner, this is a 2012 19' correct? Why are the front corners concave and have a bump out, but the rear appear to be convex with a bump in? Maybe it is just the photo angle?
Old 07-28-2013, 04:40 PM   #10

Quote:
I just noticed your corner, this is a 2012 19' correct? Why are the front corners concave and have a bump out, but the rear appear to be convex with a bump in? Maybe it is just the photo angle?
It's an illusion...they are the same front and back...

My stereo is a KDC-BT952HD Kenwood stereo that has several input options such as Aux, XM, USB, etc. and Blue Tooth wireless and a CD player and HD Radio Reception + remote control. The operating colors are even programmable. In each corner of the trailer I mounted one 6 1/2" Polk Audio Coaxial speaker (4) in a pod (surface-mounted) facing downward. If you Google speaker pod you will see the same style. Most of the time I use the Zumo 550 GPS Unit from my motorcycle for the XM stereo plugged into the AUX input. I also horizontally mounted a Marine AM/FM antenna over the inside of the doorway that has great reception.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:44 PM   #11

Rhino Speaker Pods
$44.95
Free Shipping to U.S. and Canada!

Old 07-28-2013, 04:47 PM   #12

Thanks, back to Google........
Old 07-28-2013, 11:15 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Quote:
Doug,
Any pictures of your set up. For outside I use a bluetooth speaker for my iPhone music.
My "setup" is various scattered pieces right now -- the amplifier, a pair of Koss M60 speakers I had kicking around (excellent sound for small speakers), a 12v plug that I cut off something else twist-connected (not even taped) to a plug I found in my spare parts bin that fit the amplifier.

Here's the article that led me to the amplifier: Low-cost hi-fi: the amazing world of cheapo mini-amps - Boing Boing

The amplifier is best described as "cute" -- all of about 5" wide, volume/bass/treble/power, and that's about it:

I'm not an audiophile, but I do like good quality sound. For a $25 amp, using speakers I had gathering dust in the basement, the sound is fantastic.

My intention is to build a wide narrow box that will hold the amp, house a couple of spare 12v outlets (for charging phones and such), and provide a place to attach and plug in an MP3 player. But, I have other priorities (put a 2nd coat of finish on a bed-side shelf earlier tonight). It'll likely be August before I get the music installed.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:14 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
I replaced my TouchAudo with a Concertone from Crutchfield. I had to enlarge the hole slightly, but it basically fits the same space. Much better reception, and none of the control problems I was having with the other unit.
Dick
Old 12-11-2013, 07:37 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 19. Birthing date June 23
Radio DVD option

IN my build I have ordered from Escape the Jensen DV2011. Any experience with this model?
PAB4 is offline   Reply With Quote