Our Visit to Chilliwack - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-31-2015, 07:16 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Our Visit to Chilliwack

After placing the order for our Escape 21 last month we continued to work on the build sheet. After all it is due at ETI in only 6 1/2 months! Not that we are counting.

However, since it had been 5 months since we had actually been in an Escape 21, we weren’t quite sure we remembered the exact layout. Dave & Kathie and tractors1 both in the Portland area offered to let us tour their 21s to reacquaint ourselves with the 21 floor plan.

Sounded like a great idea to us, we would watch the weather for a couple of nice days in the forecast and then go to Portland. Then the weather here in the Pacific Northwest turn incredibly nice and forecast to stay that way for at least another 10 days. Time to plan that trip to Portland. Then it occurred to us that from Bandon, Portland is half way to Chilliwack and at some point we would have to go to Chilliwack any way. Our new plan was to take advantage of the weather and have leisurely drive to and from Chilliwack.

The day we arrived in Chilliwack was so unseasonably warm for January that it was T-shirt weather by noon.

I read many times here on the forum “If there is anyway you can possibility get to Chilliwack go to see the tour of how an Escape is made”. All I can add is “Yes, do it!”

It is an amazing process how an empty mold becomes a trailer. The time and work involved is incredible. I guess I never thought about it but, every step of this process is done by hand. The tour is a chance to see how much care goes into building a trailer and the care that ETI puts into even the parts of the trailer that you will never see.

Over the past few months I have requested and received build sheets from several forum members. I have had many private message questions asked and answered about why people had made specific build sheet choices. I thought that I had come up with the perfect build sheet for us. I arrived at ETI with only a hand full of questions.

Once we were sitting inside the demo model of the 21 we realized that it wasn't quite as we had remembered. We wouldn't really need all of the extra power outlets we had planned on and that the the additional power outlets we did want needed to be moved to new locations. We also found a few things that were standard that we hadn't remembered or didn't know about.

One of the best things that happened was, as we were sitting at the dinette we were talking that this arrangement seemed fine, but we both remembered that at the Fiberglass Trailer Rally at Bullards Beach we really liked the U-shaped dinette.

However, it had been so long since we had seen the U-shaped dinette we no longer remembered why we had liked it. Crystal said that wouldn’t be a problem because they had a finished 21 waiting to be picked up and we could see it. They brought the trailer up from storage and as soon as we walked in our reaction was YES, we wanted the U-shape dinette. Now that we were inside of the newly built 21 we noticed options that we never thought of and options that we were sure we wouldn’t need but, as soon as we saw them actually on the trailer we added them to our build sheet. We also got to see how much counter space was added by turning the 2 burner stove sideways. All of these additions will make our new trailer perfect for us and if we hadn’t gone to Chilliwack we would have missed them.

Through all of this Crystal was so patient, answering our many questions and never seemed to be trying to hurry us up. Reace took time to answer any questions that Crystal wasn’t sure of or felt needed a more detailed explanation.

We were sold on the trailer before we went to Chilliwack but the visit gave us an appreciation of the people that work at ETI, a better appreciation for the craftsmanship of the trailer, and a much better understanding of what a great company ETI really is.

After our visit to Chilliwack we decided to avoid the traffic of the Seattle Metroplex and Portland. We took the ferry from Whidbey Island to Port Townsend and followed US 101 all they way home to Bandon. Of course on our way home most of our discussions were about the trailer or where we should take it. We past a lot of campgrounds on our way home and frequently said “maybe we can stop here on our way home with the trailer”. Once we got to Oregon we started detouring into State Parks that we hadn’t been to before drive through the now deserted campgrounds to pick sites for a time when we can return with the trailer.

Okay, I guess you can tell we are really excited about our visit to Chilliwack!

Now, only 4 months to pick the upholstery and the flooring.

Grant
Grant & Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 07:21 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
What a nice write up. Congratulations on your 21!
Old 01-31-2015, 08:19 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Grant- you're narrative reminds me that our instincts are to be trusted. You somehow felt you needed to go up there and it was time well spent. It's interesting how one can look at something in two dimension trying to plan then when you are able to get into the real world it can be so different. Some people have a good mind's eye and can visualize well, however think most don't. That's why people hire interior or kitchen designers. Now hopefully there will be an opportunity for an earlier delivery.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 09:11 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Good for you Grant! I too took a tour of ETI before I handed over my build sheet. Okay, it was the same day, but still I was able to visually see what I wanted and change my mind or added to the build sheet. I'm 100% happy with my decisions.

If you need a last taste, there's always Spring NOG. I think it's happening before your build sheet is due. If you have a need, I have an industrial size bottle of Tums in Ten Forward.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 07:26 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I never did make it to Chilliwack, but did purchase 2 new Escapes, sight unseen. I figure if there were any issues I could always refuse delivery! But that is me and not what others may think. After dealing on the phone and meeting Reace and Tammy in person I can understand how Escape has become a desired product.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:46 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
I'm glad you could time it for the bouts of nice weather we have been having.

I am planning on being down your way mid-May before heading to Osoyoos. If you want to see my 21 to refresh memory, let me know.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:49 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Your excitement and experience of the trip to Chilliwack sounds familiar! Holly and I made the trip from Texas (flight to Seattle and then a drive up to Chilliwack) over a four day period of time. Yes, it was well worth it.
Does anyone have a picture of the stove turned 90 degrees to make extra room? Would really appreciate it.
Also, one thing we added for my fishing rods is another cylinder next to the grey hose cylinder under the trailer in the back. In fact, I asked Reece to add two more cylinders if possible. Storage, storage, storage.
MacMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:57 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan View Post
Does anyone have a picture of the stove turned 90 degrees to make extra room? Would really appreciate it.
Tom, you're getting a 19' ? You'll want every inch you can get back. I had the stove turned in Ten Forward and have zero regrets.
Attached Thumbnails
FirstMeal.jpg  
Old 02-02-2015, 09:05 AM   #9

Actually, I am getting 5.0TA. Thanks for the pic. I believe my wife picked out a 3 burner. Is it still possible to reposition a three burner to get more room?
Old 02-02-2015, 09:35 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Actually, I am getting 5.0TA. Thanks for the pic. I believe my wife picked out a 3 burner. Is it still possible to reposition a three burner to get more room?
No, at least I don't think so. The cooktop for the 3 burner is nearly square.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:40 AM   #11

Thank. I will get with Crystal and see if anything can be done.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:56 AM   #12

I got the oven and 3 burner stove and skipped the microwave, very happy with it's use.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:17 AM   #13

.....and what did you put in the place of the micro? Shelving space?
Old 02-02-2015, 11:53 AM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
For us, the cupboard where the microwave would be is our pantry. Way more valuable for that use than a seldom used microwave would be.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 11:59 AM   #15

Good thought. However, I will let Holly make that call since she is the "Chief Chef" in our humble abode. Thanks.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:55 PM   #16

Yes, a very nice pantry with a nice plug inside.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:13 PM   #17

You two have convinced me. I am trying to convince Holly. Also trying to tell her she doesn't need a three burner stove. Two is just fine.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:27 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
You two have convinced me. I am trying to convince Holly. Also trying to tell her she doesn't need a three burner stove. Two is just fine.
I very much agree with you. We have three burners, have never used more than two, and most times it is just one. Well, actually it is usually on the two burner stove on the table outside.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 02:33 PM   #19

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
We also have a 3-burner.
Use one burner in the morning to make coffee.
Have used one burner to make a simple dinner when it's pouring rain outside.
Have two one-burner butane stoves ( about $30 each ) and a BBQ outside on the picnic table.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:34 PM   #20

I/we like to grill and I am getting a Weber Q1200 and plan to cook most meals on that. We will see how good a negotiator I am when we "discuss" the matter this evening!