Outdoor rug storage - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2017, 08:23 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Outdoor rug storage

We have a 5.0TA on order and we have ordered an extra sewer storage tube. Has anyone stored a 6X9' outdoor rug in the tube? If so how easily does it fit?
Old 08-14-2017, 08:35 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
My mat is 7x12. I fold it up and put it on top of the BBQ in the front storage compartment.

I would think it might be a challenge to roll up a mat tightly and feed it into the tube, but if it works, it would be a great solution, though you would need to be certain it was very dry. Ours often gets put away damp.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:02 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
If it does fit I'd drill some holes in the bottom to allow some air, otherwise you can have a mold issue. I drill the holes in my sewerage tubes also to allow air.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:15 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape 21 - Nov 2017 "Harvey"
I do not yet own an Escape, so my plan is only a plan. I have examined a new Escape 21 pretty closely, though. My intention is to roll up my mat and store it on the back bumper. It looks like it will slide between the tire carrier and rear wall. On the outer ends, I will likely glue some zip tie anchor points and then use paracord to fasten the rolled up ends.

So, no tube as there is not enough room. Just the naked mat rolled up/tied up. But then it can dry/drain and it does not take room or bring water/mud into storage areas. It will likely block the license plate, but below the tail lights.

In the past, with other trailers I have owned, I used a PVC pipe as a holder. I think it was 6 inch or even 8 inch diameter. I think the sewer tube holders are too small, getting the mat in there would require the mat to be very tightly rolled, which is difficult by one person and messy when the mat is wet and muddy.
jking1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:34 AM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
My mat is 7x12. I fold it up and put it on top of the BBQ in the front storage compartment.

I would think it might be a challenge to roll up a mat tightly and feed it into the tube, but if it works, it would be a great solution, though you would need to be certain it was very dry. Ours often gets put away damp.
Jim, are you still carrying the Dickinson Marine BBQ? Mine (with handle) pretty much fills up the front storage compartment.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 01:55 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
I'm guessing (based on years of experience acquired by making a plethora of mistakes!) that anything rolled tightly to insert in the tube, will, after the vibration of many miles on the road, will be near impossible to get back out.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 02:25 PM   #7

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I have a 6x9 mat as opposed to a rug, it fit in its bag that's about 8". If I did not have to fold it width wise and could leave it at 6' long it might well go in a 6" tube. No idea if it'd come back out as Don mentioned, but I wouldn't mind trying. If I remember, I'll try it tomorrow.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:38 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I think that it's quite feasible to do.

I added a storage tube for my misc. aluminum poles for my wi-fi antenna and TV antenna etc. to that area.

My tube measures 4 3/8" o.d. I used white PVC, installed an end cap on one end and put a handle on the other cap. I sprayed it with black krylon plastic paint to match the black bumper etc.

My mat, loosely rolled up is barely over 5" in diameter. On my 19 it appears that a 5" diameter tube would easily fit. Worse case if using something like a 6" tube, the bolt holes in the spare tire holder would need slotted to allow the vertical part to move slightly more away from the trailer shell.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0035_resize.JPG   IMGP0043_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 04:21 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
I'm guessing (based on years of experience acquired by making a plethora of mistakes!) that anything rolled tightly to insert in the tube, will, after the vibration of many miles on the road, will be near impossible to get back out.
If this is a concern, why not use a couple of small bungees to prevent it from happening?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:21 AM   #10

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
rug "case"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jking1224 View Post
I do not yet own an Escape, so my plan is only a plan. I have examined a new Escape 21 pretty closely, though. My intention is to roll up my mat and store it on the back bumper. It looks like it will slide between the tire carrier and rear wall. On the outer ends, I will likely glue some zip tie anchor points and then use paracord to fasten the rolled up ends.

So, no tube as there is not enough room. Just the naked mat rolled up/tied up. But then it can dry/drain and it does not take room or bring water/mud into storage areas. It will likely block the license plate, but below the tail lights.

In the past, with other trailers I have owned, I used a PVC pipe as a holder. I think it was 6 inch or even 8 inch diameter. I think the sewer tube holders are too small, getting the mat in there would require the mat to be very tightly rolled, which is difficult by one person and messy when the mat is wet and muddy.
My outdoor carpet came in a nice canvas duffle type bag. When stowed it's about a 10" wide roll. Fits under the bed.
gwolfe@wvi.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:20 AM   #11

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwolfe@wvi.com View Post
My outdoor carpet came in a nice canvas duffle type bag. When stowed it's about a 10" wide roll. Fits under the bed.
My outdoor mat also came with its own bag. Folds up to about the size of a folding chair and fits nicely in the rear hatch. To keep the mat and storage area clean, I almost always brush any leaves or dirt off of it before folding and stowing it. If it is folded and stowed away when wet, it will need to be spread out and dried in the sun shortly after, before putting it away for any longer term storage.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:51 AM   #12

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
We store ours in the optional front storage box, along with other trailering and camping equipment that may be a bit dirty. The storage bin is one of our favorite options.
Bob K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:48 AM   #13

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
I have a tonneau cover on the back of my truck that is a perfect place to sweep my mat clean and let it dry a bit before rolling up. (depending on weather of course) I collapse the dinette flat for travel, store my folding chairs, etc on the flat "bed". The rolled up mat goes in last and fits across the length of the bed behind the bathroom wall and the door. This keeps everything in place from sliding off the bed while under way. If the mat is wet, it gets wrapped first in plastic so as to protect the cushions.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote