Oxidized GelCoat: 3M Perfect It Compound? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2019, 11:37 AM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Best results are obtained by using appropriate products on the right finish. 'Best' products to use on automotive paint and clear coat is 'clay bar' in increasing finer grits. Clay bar does next to nothing on gelcoat. Vice versa gelcoat compound is nearly worthless on automotive paint. I have no opinion on orbital polishers because my ever decreasing shoulder strength is almost preventing me from using one except on flat surfaces. Dang aging anyway
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 05:11 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
For yellowing of the plastic fixtures I have found paint to be one solution. Masking the area and brush painting works on some areas. Specifically the plastic hub caps (spray) and stove fan outlet look good in black. I have black graphics and with a black belly band and black tires, it is a good blend. Your color choice maybe different, depending. Something to evaluate.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 10:39 AM   #23
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I just ordered this on Amazon. It will be here Saturday. I need to do something and it has to be completely usable for me one handed, so that means 'light weight.' This is a link to Home Depot, same price as Amazon Prime, I just have other reasons for not wanting to shop Home Depot. I'll let everyone know how it works out. Fingers crossed!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/WEN-120-...6010/203585856
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 10:52 AM   #24

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Agree that for wax hand application is good. For oxidation you do need the right tool to cut with and even orbital polishers generally won't "cut it".

I tried the DeWalt polisher(which is rotary-not orbital)and it was a beast(6.7 lbs.) and sent it back. With the Chicago Electric @ Harbor Freight(5.5 lbs. and smaller) I can use it one-handed on the roof. The pros like the DeWalt as it has a soft start feature which is a good thing with clear coats on autos. The gel coats are much tougher and harder to damage- not that you can't do it. Also, a pro grade wool pad works better for medium-heavy oxidation than any foam pad.
I've used several different brand polishers. The Porter Cable random orbit is by far the best one I've used when it comes to getting a swirl free finish.
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 04:08 PM   #25

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
I would think a number of you also belong to the FiberglassRV.com. Grab youself a case of beer and start reading this ongoing thread: Check this out NOT Poliglow...Time will tell.. It's been going on since June 24, 2010 and the last post (#909) was on June 20, 2019. The thread went from Poliglow to Zep products.

Two of our previous trailers were a 2000 (?) Scamp 16' Side Bath (6 years), and a 2007 Casita Spirit (5 years). I detested the cleaning, waxing, and buffing, especially with those rivet buttons. Two years ago we purchased a 2003 25' Bigfoot that was badly oxidized. By that time I'd ready read the "NOT Poliglow" thread and thought why not.

First I purchased the Zep stripper and sealer, plus bought a pack of microfiber towels, two glove/sponges and two simple spray bottles at Lowes in Rochester, MN. I cleaned the Bigfoot at a decent car wash and brought it back to our campsite .8 mile from our condo. I used the stripper to clean/strip the badly oxidated gelcoat on the Bigfoot. I applied the stripper with one of the spray bottles, being careful to avoid the windows. This took perhaps 2 hours on that 25' Bigfoot. I rinsed the camper with water, dried it with microfiber cloths, and let the camper finish drying overnight.

The next day I wiped the Bigfoot down again with microfiber cloths (perhaps 15 minutes). After wiping the trailer down I put the Zep Floor Sealer in a spray bottle and applied the sealer using the sponge glove. Took about 15-20 minutes to apply to the entire camper. An hour later I applied the second coat, waited and hour, and applied the final coat.

In all, the stripping/sealer applications took about perhaps 4 working hours. I'll do it in half the time when our 5.0 TA needs to be spruced up.

We sold the camper last year. This spring the owner informed me that her husband died in February. She asked me to help her sell the Bigfoot. It was 150 miles away, but sold withing a week of putting the ad on FiberglassRV.com. When I went to her place to finalize the sale to a couple from Tennessee (?) the Bigfoot still shined like a new camper, despite sitting outside all winter!

Please read Check this out NOT Poliglow...Time will tell... No more will I ever apply wax and use buffers!
Old 02-27-2022, 06:25 PM   #26

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by marant View Post
Just ordered 3M Perfect It #2. Will report back after I use it. Even remembered to take 'before' pictures!
Marant - anything to report? My research is suggesting 3M perfect it, but I would really appreciate some beta before purchasing.
Davin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 08:01 PM   #27

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Poli-Glo

Do as you please, but I've had very good and long lasting results using Poli-Glo on a 20 year old sailboat and a +15 year old, sun bleached, oxidized Colorado Casita. The stuff held up perfectly well for me, for years, with no apparent yellowing and great gloss.

Save a few bucks and try the floor wax. There are few, IF any, miracles in a can, in my experience.
Results are often based on prep work and .....and....following instructions on the can.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 12:01 AM   #28

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Here’s my wife Rita’s description of her process for shining up the Escape. Note the reflection on the side of our 19 before we sold it in 2017. It was a 2010 and looked great. The 21 has had the same treatment and looks great with just a few little wash jobs through each season. Did I mention I married up, way up? Put another log on the fire, cook me up some bacon and some beans…….
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
459E3C71-29C1-44A1-BF0A-B086B3E2735D.jpeg   3849A1F9-AB2B-4415-A2D0-B01075264661.jpeg   DAEAFEBA-C5FD-4546-9BC2-DC3C5A4BFCF3.jpg  
Old 03-01-2022, 08:21 AM   #29

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
I've had good success with Collinite 920 Fiberglass Boat Cleaner and 925 Fiberglass Boat Wax. The carnuba wax still beads after 6 months in the Texas sun and using a Porter Cable 7424xp to apply, it's fairly easy to do.

303 on the rubber parts and krylon fusion for plastic dover white on the plastic ones.
I'm going to pick up a Porter Cable 7424xp based on your recommendation. Any suggestions on brand and type accessories (extra polishing pads, lambs wool, hook loop backing and pads, etc). In addition to my new Escape, I have a 20+ year old Corsair 24 Mk II that needs some TLC.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 09:45 AM   #30

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
I'm going to pick up a Porter Cable 7424xp based on your recommendation. Any suggestions on brand and type accessories (extra polishing pads, lambs wool, hook loop backing and pads, etc). In addition to my new Escape, I have a 20+ year old Corsair 24 Mk II that needs some TLC.
It’s all about the pad you use and make sure your polisher comes with variable speeds. Spend some time watching some videos of people using them on cars. The wrong pad used can harm the finish, start out with a lighter pad, test it out on the top before hitting the sides.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 05:51 PM   #31

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
what attachment pads should i buy for the porter to remove oxidation and buff wax out?
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 01:45 AM   #32

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
When we bought the 2007 17B in about 2016, it had been sitting and had moss growing on the roof. It needed the full detail. First, I scrapped off the moss, washed it really well with Meguires car wash then used their 3 part boat polish kit. When I was done, it looked brand new.

https://www.amazon.ca/Meguiars-Marin...12511173&psc=1
Old 03-02-2022, 10:24 AM   #33

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA The Glass Inn
This is What I use.
Attached Thumbnails
20210506_121914.jpg  
rmitch is offline   Reply With Quote