Pancake story - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2016, 11:31 AM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Pancake story

On a whim when stocking food before departure for a recent trip I was in the pancake mix aisle and bought a box of ready pancake mix. My usual camping breakfast has been a buttered toasted roll, or cold cereal, rarely bacon and eggs. We keep it simple. It is entirely possible I have been harboring subconscious fears about depending upon refrigerator food.

A recent Dometic RM 8551 on propane total failure might have been on my mind but in any case we always bring our back-up ice chest. The fridge was primed a day early as usual, on shore power in the yard. Loaded with a gallon of cold water, a pack of frozen chicken, margarine, cheese and beer. Was a lovely 29°F when I switched it to propane 4 dots, and we were off.

I do not believe enough tribute has been paid on this forum to the pancake. The recent weekend trip
confirms that feeling. Which box to buy? Settled on the old favorite in the picture. Just add water, has lower sodium and sugar. Also grabbed two containers of blueberries.

Two hours later we stopped to stretch and I checked the fridge. It was 48 degrees F! Bumped it up to 5 dots propane, checked my tanks, and continued the march up into the mountains. Arrived at our campsite an hour later. Was clear the fridge was not working on propane and now at 51°F. This after only days after I had the same trouble and thought it was fixed when I cleared out the flue.

We’re home now, but before I go out there to tear things apart thought I would tell you all how much I enjoyed them pancakes. Oh, I should mention that opening flap on the box doesn't seal so good. Best to tape it shut with duct tape.
Attached Thumbnails
Pancake1.jpg   Pancake2.jpg  
Old 08-07-2016, 12:38 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 17B "Tamago", 2019 GMC Canyon Denali Duramax Diesel
Easy pancake recipe!

I used to use pancake mix when travelling, but figured out a great recipe and blending manner for camping.

Mix dry ingredients in a sandwich bag for easy storage:
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1-2 tbsp. sugar

To prepare, use a Blender Bottle. Put in the dry ingredients, 1 egg, 2 tbsp oil, and 1 1/2 cups milk. Shake!!! Makes it easy to pour when cooking them. And easier to clean

I make ours on a cast iron grill that fits perfectly on a Weber BabyQ!

Even add berries when the season is right.

Yumm!
Old 08-07-2016, 02:29 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
There is a campground about 2 hours from us here in Pennsylvania where the owners operate a grist mill for the local farmers. A true, water operated grist mill with tours of the mill. The campground has both water/electric as well as full hookups and is a Good Sam/Passport America member. There is a little store on the site that makes fresh home made sandwiches as well as sells various flour mixes that is ground there. We try to go there at least 2-3 times a year, especially Halloween when the town kids attend a party and they come to your trailer for candy. We purchase their flour and the pumpkin pancakes are to die for- see here
Burnt Cabins Grist Mill
Attached Thumbnails
13934857_10154475612888623_306858228892973874_n.jpg  
Old 08-07-2016, 03:29 PM   #4

Could use powdered milk, and eggs don't need refrigeration.
Old 08-07-2016, 03:38 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
On a whim when stocking food before departure for a recent trip I was in the pancake mix aisle and bought a box of ready pancake mix. My usual camping breakfast has been a buttered toasted roll, or cold cereal, rarely bacon and eggs. We keep it simple. It is entirely possible I have been harboring subconscious fears about depending upon refrigerator food.

A recent Dometic RM 8551 on propane total failure might have been on my mind but in any case we always bring our back-up ice chest. The fridge was primed a day early as usual, on shore power in the yard. Loaded with a gallon of cold water, a pack of frozen chicken, margarine, cheese and beer. Was a lovely 29°F when I switched it to propane 4 dots, and we were off.

I do not believe enough tribute has been paid on this forum to the pancake. The recent weekend trip
confirms that feeling. Which box to buy? Settled on the old favorite in the picture. Just add water, has lower sodium and sugar. Also grabbed two containers of blueberries.

Two hours later we stopped to stretch and I checked the fridge. It was 48 degrees F! Bumped it up to 5 dots propane, checked my tanks, and continued the march up into the mountains. Arrived at our campsite an hour later. Was clear the fridge was not working on propane and now at 51°F. This after only days after I had the same trouble and thought it was fixed when I cleared out the flue.

We’re home now, but before I go out there to tear things apart thought I would tell you all how much I enjoyed them pancakes. Oh, I should mention that opening flap on the box doesn't seal so good. Best to tape it shut with duct tape.
Hi: MyronL... Next time use Club Soda to make the pancakes. They'll be light and fluffy. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 04:27 PM   #6

Now this is interesting. At 12 noon today I turned the fridge on, to 5 dots propane. Only other thing I did was remove the vent cover and remove the shield protecting the flame at the Piezo. Pilot was lit but looking pukey so, to confirm the flame really was there... I inserted a match, which flared on immediately. At 1:40 pm the fridge temp dropped from a start of 66° down to 57°F, (trailer at 82°) and, to 53°F at 2:50 PM (trailer temp at 84°).

So the bloody thing is working!!!! My best guess at the moment is the current robust pilot flame is happy with the extra air it's getting because them shields are still removed.

Before we pulled out Friday I did not look at the pilot light. Fridge was kept strapped shut for travel and was never opened until we made camp. Once camped, stove flame and hot water, furnace, were checked, all normal, good. I did consider adjusting the regulator but did not touch it. Hey maybe sometime in the last few days before Friday something crawled up the flue?? Beats me.

Water spigot for extra pancakes a few yards away. No hookups, $10.
Attached Thumbnails
CimCanyn.jpg  
Old 08-07-2016, 08:20 PM   #7

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
Norma's homemade pancakes are popular at our campsite...
Attached Thumbnails
hotcakes.jpg  
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Could use powdered milk, and eggs don't need refrigeration.
Hi: MyronL... That sounds like Army speak!!! Alf
Old 08-08-2016, 08:22 AM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Hey, Myron. Nice pic of Cimarron. We considered passing through that way, but camped south of Santa Fe instead. This would've been Wednesday last week... Home now, to the hellish heat of August in central Texas. (Our dogs, especially, are wondering why we didn't stay in the mountains.) Pancake mix is a great way to minimize things needing refrigeration.
Old 08-08-2016, 10:05 AM   #10

Yes, it is a real nice drive in from I-25. Scenic for sure, certainly not your typical New Mexico geology, Alf. Was cool enough in the rain for me to wish I hadn't forgot to bring a sweatshirt.

Babbling fly fishing streams everywhere along Route 64 including right upside the campground. Not a big campground and sites were a tad tight, but all had paved ground for a level set up, clean restrooms, potable water. This for sure is the place for the Life Outdoor. Drove out through Eagle Nest and down to Angel Fire, then Taos.
Attached Thumbnails
EaglNest.jpg   AngelFire2.jpg   Taos1.jpg  
Old 08-08-2016, 01:43 PM   #11

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Could use powdered milk...
You could also used UHT (sterilized, rather than just pasteurized) milk in small aseptic containers (Tetra Paks like juice boxes) - it doesn't require refrigeration until opened, so it could work well for a batch of pancakes... if you can stand the flavour.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:18 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Quote:
Yes, it is a real nice drive in from I-25. Scenic for sure, certainly not your typical New Mexico geology, Alf. Was cool enough in the rain for me to wish I hadn't forgot to bring a sweatshirt.

Babbling fly fishing streams everywhere along Route 64 including right upside the campground. Not a big campground and sites were a tad tight, but all had paved ground for a level set up, clean restrooms, potable water. This for sure is the place for the Life Outdoor. Drove out through Eagle Nest and down to Angel Fire, then Taos.
We were there in 2013, camping in our Casita. The bear pic was taken from our window. I think he was looking for pancakes.
Attached Thumbnails
04_IMG_2030sm.jpg   02_MJF_9107fxsm.jpg   04_IMG_2024sm.jpg  
Old 08-08-2016, 06:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
We were there in 2013, camping in our Casita. The bear pic was taken from our window. I think he was looking for pancakes.
Hi: Mary F... Probably because someone picked his blueberries!!! Alf