Panicked About Build Sheet - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-24-2015, 09:27 PM   #41

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrie View Post
For those looking for portable solar options, here is a great one. We've got the 80 watt and have been extremely happy with it. It has extended our boondocking time (and the stress of being off-grid) considerably. Super easy to use and packs up very nicely in a durable case.

Portable Solar Kits (Folding solar) & Accessories | Go Power!
We bought the same one . Also the 80 watt . Very good Quality . Thinking of getting another . We also have the trailer plug . Was very happy with this purchase . Not heavy and doesn't take up much room under bed storage . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 09:32 PM   #42

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
We bought the same one . Also the 80 watt . Very good Quality . Thinking of getting another . We also have the trailer plug . Was very happy with this purchase . Not heavy and doesn't take up much room under bed storage . Pat
What's a trailer plug? Pre-wired solar?
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 09:42 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesa View Post
What's a trailer plug? Pre-wired solar?
With the included I think they are called Anderson plugs , from Go Power and I think can find other sources , plugs right into your trailer plug . You can see it on the go power site under their accessories. I have the front box with my batteries inside so instead of running with their included battery clips just hook it up to trailer plug with no wiring having to come out of my box from battery hookup . Pat
Old 10-24-2015, 09:46 PM   #44

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
With the included I think they are called Anderson plugs , from Go Power and I think can find other sources , plugs right into your trailer plug . You can see it on the go power site under their accessories. I have the front box with my batteries inside so instead of running with their included battery clips just hook it up to trailer plug with no wiring having to come out of my box from battery hookup . Pat
Cool! Thanks.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 09:52 PM   #45

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Two 40 watt panels for $99 ea. on sale ( every few months ) at Canadian Tire gives me 80 watts for $200 and tax.
I can face them at different angles. I go direct to the battery terminals, which I believe is the most efficient way to charge.
Took my Honda 1000i along just in case, but solar seemed quite capable.
I store the panels in the boxes they came in, on the bed. One day I might get around to thinking about a proper "suitcase" for them.
Attached Thumbnails
Solar Honda w.jpg  
Old 10-24-2015, 10:15 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Two 40 watt panels for $99 ea. on sale ( every few months ) at Canadian Tire gives me 80 watts for $200 and tax.
I can face them at different angles. I go direct to the battery terminals, which I believe is the most efficient way to charge.
Took my Honda 1000i along just in case, but solar seemed quite capable.
I store the panels in the boxes they came in, on the bed. One day I might get around to thinking about a proper "suitcase" for them.
The Go Power folding panels come with many Anderson connectors ,folding legs on a aluminum frame ,25 year warranty on the panels , heavy duty nylon suitcase all high Quality . Pat
Old 10-25-2015, 02:49 PM   #47

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdornbush View Post
We have both opening bathroom and kitchen windows, and love having them. The bathroom window provides ventilation rather than having to pull cool or warm air out of the trailer, depending on how hot it is outside. And my standard use of the stove is to turn on the vent fan and crack the kitchen window when we turn on the stove.

....Also consider the digital thermostat. It works well with the AC and heater
With our 17, we found that we absolutely love the openable kitchen window. If you're running the kitchen hood exhaust fan or the maxx fan, you have to have a source of make-up air, because the trailer is so airtight otherwise. The kitchen window just the ticket, and is an awning window, so you can have it open in the rain.

Digital t-stat is a must have in our opinion. accurate, easy to use (even when eyelids are in sleep mode).

Outside front storage is a must have on a 17.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 05:52 PM   #48

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
The beauty of the forum, as mentioned earlier, is that you get to hear what people choose and their reasoning behind their decisions. We got almost every option known to ETI; however, there are some I could do without. If we ever order another trailer, these are the options I would choose again ... and those I wouldn't.

Solar. Portable is okay; however, it's just one more thing to carry (and possibly drop). We have yet to be in a position where we're not getting a good charge. Love the solar!!!!

Storage box. Ditto what everyone else says.

A/C and digital thermostat. While we haven't used the A/C much, it's nice to know it's there and the digital thermostat is SO easy to use.

Closet. We didn't put in shelves and I don't miss them. I use a hanging shoe rack on one half of the closet which gives us narrow "shelves" yet allows room for a few hanging items. (Do get the extra drawer underneath the closet if there's room.) For folding items, I got small, fabric bins for the upper cabinets which work great. Pack them in the house, carry them to the trailer and set them in the cabinets.

Thermal windows and spray undercoating. Regulates the temperature and, I think, keeps the floor warmer. (We don't need the heat pads.)

Opening bathroom and kitchen window. It's so nice to be able to open both to get in some air. Yes, the toilet flush-out is one reason, but fresh air is very important to me when camping.

Nixed the microwave as it takes up a lot of space for the amount of use we would get out of it. If you need one, get a small one from Target for $35 and carry it with you.

Get the TV-ready option as it also gives you a cable outlet (good for campgrounds where they have cable TV). Hubby HAD to have a satellite antenna and the only purpose it serves is to look silly. We hardly ever get any reception as we're always under trees.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 05:05 PM   #49

Trailer: 2016 17B
Final Questions On Options For 17B

Storage Box -- how important if I drive a P/U truck?

Spray foam insulation and heat pads for holding tanks -- what if I'm in Yellowstone in September and temps are below freezing? Are both required? Just spray foam? Neither?

Removable power cord?

Hitch? Don't even know where to begin. Can I just use what the trailer comes with?

And perhaps an odd and trivial question...if we put our names on the trailer (Edith and Steve) and then sell it ten years later...is that a problem for the new buyer.

Thank you...have read and reread comments posted on this thread thus far.
Steve R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 05:20 PM   #50

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve R View Post

Spray foam insulation and heat pads for holding tanks -- what if I'm in Yellowstone in September and temps are below freezing? Are both required? Just spray foam? Neither?

Removable power cord?

Hitch? Don't even know where to begin. Can I just use what the trailer comes with?

And perhaps an odd and trivial question...if we put our names on the trailer (Edith and Steve) and then sell it ten years later...is that a problem for the new buyer.

I drive a Nissan Frontier with a Bak-Flip Bed Cover. So myself personally, I don't have any need for the box. I have a giant box in the truck bed with better access to the different compartments.

Didn't get the spray foam or pads, did get the extra insul, thermal windows. I've been down in the 20's and teens in the 17B and didn't freeze the tanks, etc. but wouldn't push that too much. Just depends on how you're going to use the trailer.

I love the removable power cord, some don't. Always have done that modification to every trailer. Good to have it done at build time if you want it.

Hitch depends on your tow vehicle capabilities. I'm sure you'll get a lot of answers on this post.

Name won't matter if your buyers names are Edith and Steve
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 05:35 PM   #51

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
If ETI is putting your names on, it is done with removable vinyl letters. So it really should be no problem at all.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:38 PM   #52

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I called my fishing boat 'Sam 'n' Ella'

As for hitch, you need the proper terms to discuss.
There will be a hitch receiver attached to your vehicle. The hitch ( either a regular ball hitch or a weight distribution hitch ) goes into the hitch receiver. Then the coupler ( which is part of the trailer ) goes on the ball.

Recommend you go to etrailer.com where you will find instruction videos on the topic.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:45 PM   #53

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:

Removable power cord?

I have a P/U truck but I still want the box. Kind of like "keep trailer stuff in the trailer box" Stuff you use every day like chocks and blocks etc.

You'll have to be the judge about how much cold weather stuff you add. Many get by using the trailer "dry" and there is a lower limit to how cold you can use the trailer in extreme cold. Those items help in cold weather but they're not a magic bullet for cold.

Removable power cord, I'm in the yes camp.

If you mean what type of WDH etc. then, probably, you can try it without a WDH, depending on the vehicle and see if you end up nose high. Lots of people tow that size trailer without one.

Vinyl graphics come off easily enough, but, depending on how long they've been on, will leave a brighter and whiter imprint of the names. The ghost image may be able to be buffed out if desired.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 06:09 PM   #54

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:

Removable power cord?

I never had a storage box with my 19, and never missed it, and had plenty of storage without it. However, I had the underside of a full queen bed to store stuff in, so much space in there. I carried very little in the tow vehicle. With the 17 you will have a lot less storage in the trailer, and might make good use of the front storage box. I don't like to put anything in the tow vehicle that is meant for the campsite.

I switched myself from a retractable cord to a removable one. I would do it again in a heartbeat. Having used both now, I much prefer the removable one, much easier to deal with.

Towing with a pickup, if it is a 1/2 ton or bigger, you will not need a weight distribution hitch, and will be fine with the appropriate ball mount in your receiver.

Yeppers, as others said, it is real easy to get the vinyl names off. A bit of heat from a steamer or hair dryer (be careful with the high heat of heat guns), and it will peel off easy peasy.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 06:38 PM   #55
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
The big difference between the box and the pickup bed, is items are permanently stored in the box and you have schleep totes back and forth to the pickup. I really, really dislike totes!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 07:40 PM   #56

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:

Removable power cord?

Most people use trailer names, not their own, which might be less objectionable to new owners. Even in only a year, if you remove names, you will still see them if only lightly because the trailer will have changed color around them. The names will still be there with the vinyl removed but it partly depends on where they are put as to how obvious they would be. We did our graphics over at a year and had to go exactly over what had been on the door. Elsewhere did not seem to be a problem that early.

If you are well below freezing at night, then you would likely want to use the heat pads, especially if you do not have temps a good deal above freezing in the day. If just a little below freezing, pads should not be needed but shouldn't hurt, assuming you have electric hook-up. Should not use without electric hookup.

We have the standard electrical cord and use a pliable rope caulk around the opening to seal it while in use. Very easy to put away in one minute, toweling it off while feeding in. Some people have other uses for a removeable cord. Also, a point someone else had made is that you do not need to necessarily get the standard cord on the ground at all if it is bad weather. It may stretch to the post off of the ground.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 12:17 AM   #57
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Easy to toss the detachable cord in the bed of a pickup = more storage room under the dinette.

Storage box is superb for messy stuff, setup stuff, chocks, levelers, etc. More importantly it is a superb rock deflector to protect the front of the trailer.

We stopped short of the foam and heaters as if the temp is under freezing for more than a couple of days we'd just move.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:35 AM   #58

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Remember you will probably have 2-3 tow vehicles with your life long Escape, so get the storage box, particularly if you plan on to keeping it. As far as the name, Steve and Edy Gorme are still singing, are they not?
Old 10-29-2015, 10:32 AM   #59

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Dual 6V batteries YES
Solar Panel DEPENDS ON WHERE YOU CAMP
Surge Protector YES (WE HAD DAMAGE FROM SHORE POWER IN PREVIOUS TRAILER)
Window in bathroom YES
Thermal windows and extra insulation YES (ADDED BONUS=QUIETER)
Air Conditioning DEPENDS ON WHERE AND HOW YOU CAMP
Microwave NO
Shelves in closet WE HANG OUT JACKETS AND SHIRTS HERE
DIGITAL THERMOSTAT - WISH WE HAD GOTTEN THIS. VERY DIFFICULT GETTING THE TEMP RIGHT WITH THE MANUAL CONTROL
STORAGE BOX - ABSOLUTELY YES (AND WE DO HAVE ROOM IN OUR PICKUP, BUT THE CONVENIENCE PLUS ROCK PROTECTION MAKE IT WORTHWHILE)
HEAT PADS - NO

Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 03:18 PM   #60

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19

I love the storage box to keep all the messy, muddy, outside gear in. Things like the outside mat, chocks, hose, etc.

An onboard electric heater is adequate for the conditions we camp in. If you are doing serious cold weather camping, then go for the foam and pads.

Removable power cord?
I prefer the retractable cord. Why have the whole 20 feet out and exposed if 6 feet is enough to reach the box?

I have camped for years in fiberglass trailers and never needed anything fancy. It all depends upon the weight of the tow vehicle and it's wheelbase. With a full sized pick up truck you should be fine. The Escape tows like a dream without any special hitches.

Get a custom spare wheel cover with your names on it.
Ellentob is offline   Reply With Quote