Panicked About Build Sheet - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2015, 10:27 PM   #41

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrie View Post
For those looking for portable solar options, here is a great one. We've got the 80 watt and have been extremely happy with it. It has extended our boondocking time (and the stress of being off-grid) considerably. Super easy to use and packs up very nicely in a durable case.

Portable Solar Kits (Folding solar) & Accessories | Go Power!
We bought the same one . Also the 80 watt . Very good Quality . Thinking of getting another . We also have the trailer plug . Was very happy with this purchase . Not heavy and doesn't take up much room under bed storage . Pat

Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 10:32 PM   #42

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
We bought the same one . Also the 80 watt . Very good Quality . Thinking of getting another . We also have the trailer plug . Was very happy with this purchase . Not heavy and doesn't take up much room under bed storage . Pat
What's a trailer plug? Pre-wired solar?

Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 10:42 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesa View Post
What's a trailer plug? Pre-wired solar?
With the included I think they are called Anderson plugs , from Go Power and I think can find other sources , plugs right into your trailer plug . You can see it on the go power site under their accessories. I have the front box with my batteries inside so instead of running with their included battery clips just hook it up to trailer plug with no wiring having to come out of my box from battery hookup . Pat
Old 10-24-2015, 10:46 PM   #44

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
With the included I think they are called Anderson plugs , from Go Power and I think can find other sources , plugs right into your trailer plug . You can see it on the go power site under their accessories. I have the front box with my batteries inside so instead of running with their included battery clips just hook it up to trailer plug with no wiring having to come out of my box from battery hookup . Pat
Cool! Thanks.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 10:52 PM   #45

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Two 40 watt panels for $99 ea. on sale ( every few months ) at Canadian Tire gives me 80 watts for $200 and tax.
I can face them at different angles. I go direct to the battery terminals, which I believe is the most efficient way to charge.
Took my Honda 1000i along just in case, but solar seemed quite capable.
I store the panels in the boxes they came in, on the bed. One day I might get around to thinking about a proper "suitcase" for them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Solar Honda w.jpg (332.9 KB, 21 views)

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 11:15 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Two 40 watt panels for $99 ea. on sale ( every few months ) at Canadian Tire gives me 80 watts for $200 and tax.
I can face them at different angles. I go direct to the battery terminals, which I believe is the most efficient way to charge.
Took my Honda 1000i along just in case, but solar seemed quite capable.
I store the panels in the boxes they came in, on the bed. One day I might get around to thinking about a proper "suitcase" for them.
The Go Power folding panels come with many Anderson connectors ,folding legs on a aluminum frame ,25 year warranty on the panels , heavy duty nylon suitcase all high Quality . Pat
Old 10-25-2015, 03:49 PM   #47

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A - "The Pullman"
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdornbush View Post
We have both opening bathroom and kitchen windows, and love having them. The bathroom window provides ventilation rather than having to pull cool or warm air out of the trailer, depending on how hot it is outside. And my standard use of the stove is to turn on the vent fan and crack the kitchen window when we turn on the stove.

....Also consider the digital thermostat. It works well with the AC and heater
With our 17, we found that we absolutely love the openable kitchen window. If you're running the kitchen hood exhaust fan or the maxx fan, you have to have a source of make-up air, because the trailer is so airtight otherwise. The kitchen window just the ticket, and is an awning window, so you can have it open in the rain.

Digital t-stat is a must have in our opinion. accurate, easy to use (even when eyelids are in sleep mode).

Outside front storage is a must have on a 17.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 06:52 PM   #48

Trailer: Escape 19', 2014
The beauty of the forum, as mentioned earlier, is that you get to hear what people choose and their reasoning behind their decisions. We got almost every option known to ETI; however, there are some I could do without. If we ever order another trailer, these are the options I would choose again ... and those I wouldn't.

Solar. Portable is okay; however, it's just one more thing to carry (and possibly drop). We have yet to be in a position where we're not getting a good charge. Love the solar!!!!

Storage box. Ditto what everyone else says.

A/C and digital thermostat. While we haven't used the A/C much, it's nice to know it's there and the digital thermostat is SO easy to use.

Closet. We didn't put in shelves and I don't miss them. I use a hanging shoe rack on one half of the closet which gives us narrow "shelves" yet allows room for a few hanging items. (Do get the extra drawer underneath the closet if there's room.) For folding items, I got small, fabric bins for the upper cabinets which work great. Pack them in the house, carry them to the trailer and set them in the cabinets.

Thermal windows and spray undercoating. Regulates the temperature and, I think, keeps the floor warmer. (We don't need the heat pads.)

Opening bathroom and kitchen window. It's so nice to be able to open both to get in some air. Yes, the toilet flush-out is one reason, but fresh air is very important to me when camping.

Nixed the microwave as it takes up a lot of space for the amount of use we would get out of it. If you need one, get a small one from Target for $35 and carry it with you.

Get the TV-ready option as it also gives you a cable outlet (good for campgrounds where they have cable TV). Hubby HAD to have a satellite antenna and the only purpose it serves is to look silly. We hardly ever get any reception as we're always under trees.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 06:05 PM   #49

Trailer: 2016 17B
Final Questions On Options For 17B

Storage Box -- how important if I drive a P/U truck?

Spray foam insulation and heat pads for holding tanks -- what if I'm in Yellowstone in September and temps are below freezing? Are both required? Just spray foam? Neither?

Removable power cord?

Hitch? Don't even know where to begin. Can I just use what the trailer comes with?

And perhaps an odd and trivial question...if we put our names on the trailer (Edith and Steve) and then sell it ten years later...is that a problem for the new buyer.

Thank you...have read and reread comments posted on this thread thus far.
Steve R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 06:20 PM   #50

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
Storage Box -- how important if I drive a P/U truck?

Spray foam insulation and heat pads for holding tanks -- what if I'm in Yellowstone in September and temps are below freezing? Are both required? Just spray foam? Neither?

Removable power cord?

Hitch? Don't even know where to begin. Can I just use what the trailer comes with?

And perhaps an odd and trivial question...if we put our names on the trailer (Edith and Steve) and then sell it ten years later...is that a problem for the new buyer.

Thank you...have read and reread comments posted on this thread thus far.
I drive a Nissan Frontier with a Bak-Flip Bed Cover. So myself personally, I don't have any need for the box. I have a giant box in the truck bed with better access to the different compartments.

Didn't get the spray foam or pads, did get the extra insul, thermal windows. I've been down in the 20's and teens in the 17B and didn't freeze the tanks, etc. but wouldn't push that too much. Just depends on how you're going to use the trailer.

I love the removable power cord, some don't. Always have done that modification to every trailer. Good to have it done at build time if you want it.

Hitch depends on your tow vehicle capabilities. I'm sure you'll get a lot of answers on this post.

Name won't matter if your buyers names are Edith and Steve

Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote