Parking on sloped driveway - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-20-2017, 01:07 PM   #41

Trailer: 2014 19'
https://www.lesschwab.com/learn/arti...mmon-questions

Interesting they mention the "flat" near the bottom. I wonder if in the Southern Hemisphere you rotate the other way : )
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 02:17 PM   #42

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
parking on sloped driveway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
I also wouldn't' trust those levels . Check with a torpedo level on the floor at the door . Looking at your picture it looks a little high at the front , So I would check with another level . Also refrigerators can be off in the cabinets . I was always taught to put a little bubble level in your freezer and if the bubble is in the middle circle , doesn't have to be totally in middle you have your refrigerator very good . Pat
Lisa and Pete I am sharing some of our parking situation pictures. All wheels are chocked and wheel speader locking device from the kids . The trailer is rock solid and as someone already mentioned once forgot a chock after hooked up and even with our V8 truck it wasn't"t moving . Pat
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0001 2.jpg   DSC_0002 3.jpg   DSC_0004 3.jpg   DSC_0006 3.jpg  
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 02:23 PM   #43

Quote:
Lisa and Pete I am sharing some of our parking situation pictures. All wheels are chocked and wheel speader locking device from the kids . The trailer is rock solid and as someone already mentioned once forgot a chock after hooked up and even with our V8 truck it wasn't"t moving . Pat
A few pictures of our levels . the side is level with the front jack .The front side is off a little . However the bubble in the refrigerator is good . So we run refrigerator no problem before a trip . Also if concerned carry a torpedo level and check on floor at a campground . Pat
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0003 4.jpg   DSC_0007 2.jpg   DSC_0005 2.jpg  
Old 09-20-2017, 03:16 PM   #44

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 ("Hotel California" -Aug 2017) Tow is 2016 GMC Canyon Duromax Diesel
Thanks Pat,

(And Dave, Ron, Jim, and everyone else that is trying to help).

I took a new picture from the street that might more clearly show our set up from that angle.
Our set up IS chocked with chocks on both sides of the wheels, we have wheel stops in between to stop the movement of wheels, and the ramp that Pete constructed. Should we switch to rubber chocks? An x chock or your thing between the wheels ? remove the ramp? So many ideas, it's a bit confusing...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9704.jpg  
Old 09-20-2017, 03:25 PM   #45

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 ("Hotel California" -Aug 2017) Tow is 2016 GMC Canyon Duromax Diesel
And thanks for the inside level ideas.
We'll put one in the freezer and on the floor tonite to check and post photos.

I'd do it now, but I have a special needs tutoring student coming in a few minutes and Pete's at at work. Only he knows where our other levels are...
Old 09-20-2017, 03:33 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrgtic4 View Post
Thanks Pat,

(And Dave, Ron, Jim, and everyone else that is trying to help).

I took a new picture from the street that might more clearly show our set up from that angle.
Our set up IS chocked with chocks on both sides of the wheels, we have wheel stops in between to stop the movement of wheels, and the ramp that Pete constructed. Should we switch to rubber chocks? An x chock or your thing between the wheels ? remove the ramp? So many ideas, it's a bit confusing...
Lisa you should be fine . I think the most important advice I received from the kids who have always been trailer owners (trailer was new for us in RVing ) always chock your wheels first ,unhitching and hitching . Once you are hooked up now you can remove chocks . Put those chocks down before you unhook . As for what you use between wheels that is your personal preference . We have always just used the plastic chocks . They stop the wheels from moving . Another personal preference . The plastic chocks are lighter weight and don't leave black marks on concrete driveway . You are going to be old hands at this , don't worry . Pat
Old 09-20-2017, 03:39 PM   #47

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
This is the driveway of our new 'project' home. No 5.0TA in the drive yet as I am using both work trailers there. There is over 4' of slope, though when doing a front addition I will lower it a fair bit. Ain't that just three purtiest for you ever seen?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:02 PM   #48
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Ain't that just three purtiest for you ever seen?
Ok, I've been trying to decipher this for awhile now. Purtiest = prettiest, for sure, but after that, I got nothin'. [emoji23]
Old 09-20-2017, 07:21 PM   #49

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21 2002 Tundra 4x4 V-8 tow package.
I don't see any special needs here. The slope appears to be shallow enough to not be a great concern. With all four wheels Sitting on the driveway chalked, that should work just fine. Wood, rubber, plastic they all work fine, I prefere wood. I don't think there is need for ramps and that might require blocking for the tongue. Putting the stabilizers down with slight pressure would also help.
craiginpetaluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:54 PM   #50

Trailer: 2016 21/ '16 Tundra 4.6L Dbl. Cab
Quote:
Lisa you should be fine . I think the most important advice I received from the kids who have always been trailer owners (trailer was new for us in RVing ) always chock your wheels first ,unhitching and hitching . Once you are hooked up now you can remove chocks . Put those chocks down before you unhook . As for what you use between wheels that is your personal preference . We have always just used the plastic chocks . They stop the wheels from moving . Another personal preference . The plastic chocks are lighter weight and don't leave black marks on concrete driveway . You are going to be old hands at this , don't worry . Pat
Good advice from Pat! We have a sloped driveway also. In addition to the sequence Pat gives, after chocking all wheels, I return to our tow vehicle. With my foot on the brake, I let the weight of the trailer slowly creep forward, tightening onto the chocks. The tow vehicle and trailer are now totally locked into the chocks. When you unhitch, the trailer remains stationary and does not budge. The coupler slides straight off with no further adjustments.
After hooking back up, you'll need to cover the brake, and slowly reverse about 1/2 inch. This will free the chocks from the weight of the trailer. Works every time

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:58 PM   #51

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
They do not have the wheels chocked on the ground. The wheels are on ramps and they are at the top of their crank and they still are not level. No one else who has commented is on ramps with their situation.

And everyone is showing nice dry conditions, not the snow and ice of Chicago, not to mention the wind.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 08:55 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
They do not have the wheels chocked on the ground. The wheels are on ramps and they are at the top of their crank and they still are not level. No one else who has commented is on ramps with their situation.

And everyone is showing nice dry conditions, not the snow and ice of Chicago, not to mention the wind.
Cathy last year we received a lot of rain . I would get my trailer off the ramps and put trailer down on the ground . Chock all my wheels and you would be surprised the front jack will bring you closer to front to back level . Being up on the ramps is making front jack having further to go . I would use the front block they made for front jack also . Looking at their picture the slope is not that extreme and their trailer looks a little high in front to back level . Yes it would be much better to have trailer wheels on the ground . Pat
Old 09-20-2017, 09:01 PM   #53

Quote:
Lisa after Cathy's post . She is right about the ramps. I would remove ramps and get trailer wheels down on the ground . Then start your leveling . Use your front jack block for front jack . Use torpedo level on floor inside door . Let us know . Pat
Old 09-20-2017, 09:05 PM   #54

Quote:
Cathy last year we received a lot of rain . I would get my trailer off the ramps and put trailer down on the ground . Chock all my wheels and you would be surprised the front jack will bring you closer to front to back level . Being up on the ramps is making front jack having further to go . I would use the front block they made for front jack also . Looking at their picture the slope is not that extreme and their trailer looks a little high in front to back level . Yes it would be much better to have trailer wheels on the ground . Pat
We were always asking, everyone, from the very beginning, if we should keep, remove or modify the ramps... If the consensus is that the ramps are un needed and are making things worse, level wise, safety wise, etc- instead of better, -we are all for disposing them. We are open to all ideas (other than storing the trailer elsewhere)
Old 09-20-2017, 09:06 PM   #55

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
They do not have the wheels chocked on the ground. .
I see wheels chocks front and rear?? I also see a wheel lock and that thing in between the tires. I don't think that trailer is going anywhere short of a class 5 hurricane.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 09:55 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
I see wheels chocks front and rear?? I also see a wheel lock and that thing in between the tires. I don't think that trailer is going anywhere short of a class 5 hurricane.
They are not chocked on the ground. On the ground is substantially different from on ramps. That is why some have mentioned that above.

The Chicago area is know for being windy not to mention having snow and ice, probably none of which you have at all compared to them. They are also sitting on piles of wood blocks higher than anyone usually has under the stabilizers.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:01 PM   #57

Quote:
Yes, Pat, good idea to get on the ground. You do get some rain!
Old 09-20-2017, 10:06 PM   #58

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
To keep the Chicago sky(and trailer) from falling, perhaps on top of removing the ramp while keeping the standard chocks plus having the between wheel blocks you could also tether the trailer with a chain securely tethered on an eye bolt either anchored in the driveway or fastened to the garage

P.S. Will this thread ever end?
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:07 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrgtic4 View Post
We were always asking, everyone, from the very beginning, if we should keep, remove or modify the ramps... If the consensus is that the ramps are un needed and are making things worse, level wise, safety wise, etc- instead of better, -we are all for disposing them. We are open to all ideas (other than storing the trailer elsewhere)
Don't know what your on-the-ground situation is since we have only seen the ramps. But you must have been in an on-the-ground situation first.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:08 PM   #60

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
you could also tether the trailer with a chain securely tethered on an eye bolt either anchored in the driveway or fastened to the garage

P.S. Will this thread ever end?
What padlock would you use to secure the chain?