Patio Screen room - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2018, 07:36 AM   #41

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: paulw... I'm surprized that with both of you and the dogs there's any room left for "Paddy O's stuff"!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:15 AM   #42

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Years ago we had a screen room for our Aerolite. We put it up perhaps twice. It took too long to setup and the mosquitoes still got in. Minnesota mosquitoes are relentless!

We went without a screen room for ten years with our Scamp and Casita. The last year with the Casita we had the large Clam. We went to the Clam headquarters and looked at their two offerings. The smaller Clam was square and only for two people. While the six-sided Clam worked great it was a beast to haul/carry and we started leaving it home. A couple of years ago, at the Winter Camper Show in Minneapolis, and purchased the five-sided Gazelle. It has plenty of room for 4-6 people, is much lighter, and shorter so it stores in half the space the Clam needs.

I understand Clam makes a five-sided the same size as the Gazelle now.

Once a year, at the family campout, we carry the Clam. Otherwise, when Terry and I go camping, we take the Gazelle. Both seem to be quality construction and the Gazelle has held up well.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 10-17-2018, 10:18 AM   #43

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Perry, Thanks for the update on the smaller Gazelle, it seems a much more manageable size than the 6 sided. I had found it earlier and am glad to see a review comparing the quality to the Clam. Ronn
Ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 12:21 PM   #44

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
How does the Gazelle work in the rain?? Their website says the roof is "water resistant", so I'm curious if you have had it out in the rain and if so, how dry you were able to stay. Also how does it do in a stiff breeze, looks like it will move around in place but staked out should be OK. My 2018 19' has the power awning, so the screen room is not an option, and we are looking at alternatives such as a Clam or Gazelle. Thanks for any info!
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 01:48 PM   #45

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by salmo7000 View Post
How does the Gazelle work in the rain?? Their website says the roof is "water resistant", so I'm curious if you have had it out in the rain and if so, how dry you were able to stay. Also how does it do in a stiff breeze, looks like it will move around in place but staked out should be OK. My 2018 19' has the power awning, so the screen room is not an option, and we are looking at alternatives such as a Clam or Gazelle. Thanks for any info!
The first time in the rain it would slowly drip in the Gazelle. I purchased a can of Scotchguard to waterproof the roof and no more dripping.

We originally purchased the Clam/Gazelle to have a sun/shade? room and both do their jobs. We had no awning on our Casita, so we wanted somewhere to be in the rain too. We are getting an awning on our new 5.0 TA so that's what we will be under in the rain now.

We've also been using Thermacell Mosquito Repellers for the past six or seven years and don't worry about mosquitos anymore. We're probably responsible for at least 30 or more of these devices being sold/used

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 10-17-2018, 02:30 PM   #46

Trailer: 2014 5.0TA "The HAB"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
The first time in the rain it would slowly drip in the Gazelle. I purchased a can of Scotchguard to waterproof the roof and no more dripping.

We originally purchased the Clam/Gazelle to have a sun/shade? room and both do their jobs. We had no awning on our Casita, so we wanted somewhere to be in the rain too. We are getting an awning on our new 5.0 TA so that's what we will be under in the rain now.
Would the 5 sided clam or gazelle fit under the awning...best of both worlds?
Tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 02:56 PM   #47

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Yes, it is the Venture model. Almost identical size (both erected and collapsed in bag) and weight to the Gazelle.

Venture - Screens - Quick Set

www.amazon.com/Quick-set-12875-Venture-Screen-Shelter/dp/B07F2S5YCD
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 04:16 PM   #48

Trailer: 2016 21/ '16 Tundra 4.6L Dbl. Cab
This past July we took our large Clam to Sequoia NP, as the forecast was for lots of mosquitoes. We were pleasantly surprised to have no mosquitoes. On Day-6 however, it rained ALL DAY! We pulled out the Clam and comfortably seated our family of seven. We rolled down the window coverings and stayed dry.
I will say the large Clam is big (almost 7 ft. when stowed) and heavy (40+ lbs.); even heavier when wet! We only take it when anticipating rain or lots of mosquitoes.

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:22 PM   #49

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Years ago we had a screen room for our Aerolite. We put it up perhaps twice. It took too long to setup and the mosquitoes still got in. Minnesota mosquitoes are relentless!

We went without a screen room for ten years with our Scamp and Casita. The last year with the Casita we had the large Clam. We went to the Clam headquarters and looked at their two offerings. The smaller Clam was square and only for two people. While the six-sided Clam worked great it was a beast to haul/carry and we started leaving it home. A couple of years ago, at the Winter Camper Show in Minneapolis, and purchased the five-sided Gazelle. It has plenty of room for 4-6 people, is much lighter, and shorter so it stores in half the space the Clam needs.

Once a year, at the family campout, we carry the Clam. Otherwise, when Terry and I go camping, we take the Gazelle. Both seem to be quality construction and the Gazelle has held up well.

Enjoy,

Perry
We recently got the small Gazelle,so far only used twice, but think it’ll get a real test when we head south. It’s easy store and easy setup/takedown.
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 11:34 PM   #50

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulw View Post
Here are a couple pics of our Patty O' Screen room. I had to alter the end panels to match the extension of our Escape's awning.

What size (length) did you get for your 21'?

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
patio screen room, screen room