photos of old Cabinets vrs. new on the 21' 2017??? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2017, 11:07 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
photos of old Cabinets vrs. new on the 21' 2017???

Does anyone have photos comparing the old cabinets to the new. Or even photos of the new cabinets. I was told you have to pay 200.00 if you prefer the old. That the New ones have the microwave up higher. Wonder how high?
Nancy
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 02:02 PM   #2

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Seriously, you now have to pay extra for what they used to do? Major bummer! They were switching over to the new style just before ours was built. They sent me a photo of a trailer with the new arrangement and I complained (okay, bitched!) up a storm as they weren't evenly spaced and looked horrible. Plus, I knew I'd want to use the top cabinet. I'm tall enough it's not a problem using it.

They wrote back and said I could get the old style and that others didn't like the new style either, so they were also getting the old style.

I know I've seen photos of the new arrangement - most likely in the "2017 and beyond" thread. I remember commenting on it once by saying they had changed the spacing between the cabinet so they didn't look so cattywampus any longer. So, you might want to look through that thread.

I don't remember if Red Dog's trailer has the old or new style arrangement. He's done a few threads of his new trailer, so you might want to look through those.

And yeah, the microwave cabinet is higher, which I would think would make it more awkward for those that are vertically challenged.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 02:09 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Any deviation from the "standard" will cost the manufacturer money. There is no reason why ETI should not charge a customer for making modifications. If someone is not wanting to pay for a factory change, they could elect to stay with the stock configuration and do the mod themselves.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 02:38 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Seriously, you now have to pay extra for what they used to do? Major bummer! They were switching over to the new style just before ours was built. They sent me a photo of a trailer with the new arrangement and I complained (okay, bitched!) up a storm as they weren't evenly spaced and looked horrible. Plus, I knew I'd want to use the top cabinet. I'm tall enough it's not a problem using it.

They wrote back and said I could get the old style and that others didn't like the new style either, so they were also getting the old style.

I know I've seen photos of the new arrangement - most likely in the "2017 and beyond" thread. I remember commenting on it once by saying they had changed the spacing between the cabinet so they didn't look so cattywampus any longer. So, you might want to look through that thread.

I don't remember if Red Dog's trailer has the old or new style arrangement. He's done a few threads of his new trailer, so you might want to look through those.

And yeah, the microwave cabinet is higher, which I would think would make it more awkward for those that are vertically challenged.
Yeah, I really like the old style the best too. I would use that top cabinet for cookies sheets, cutting boards and baking sheets. I find the bottom shelf under the wardrobe more useless. You have to get down on hands and knees, almost lay on the floor to use it.

Today I am signing my build sheet and just learned that there was a new cabinet just a few days ago, all the pictures on Escapes site show the old one. I will go with the new just because I don't want to pay more.
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 03:34 PM   #5

Trailer: A lovely 2017 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quilting Lady View Post
Does anyone have photos comparing the old cabinets to the new. Or even photos of the new cabinets. I was told you have to pay 200.00 if you prefer the old. That the New ones have the microwave up higher. Wonder how high?
Nancy
Quick and easy answer to your question on paying more is YES. Asked ETI if it was possible to get the old style so the microwave was easier to access and was told 'Why yes you can cost $200 CDN', we opted to go ahead and get it. The pictures of our install are somewhere in the It's Friday thread as are some pictures of the new installation. Hope that answers your question.
Old 02-03-2017, 04:01 PM   #6

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Does anyone recall why ETI did away with the "old style" little cabinet above the microwave? Was it just for "cleaner lines." From recent comments, it seems like many recent and future owners actually favor the old style over the new but would now have to pay a premium for it. So what prompted the re-design that deleted the cabinet above the microwave? Just curious...
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 04:35 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
I have the "new style" cabinets and prefer them that way. I installed a Panasonic inverter microwave and the extra space above the microwave opening aids in cooling. Also, the microwave and the fridge now visually line up better.
tdf-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 06:36 PM   #8

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
I installed a Panasonic inverter microwave and the extra space above the microwave opening aids in cooling.

Tom,

I didn't know there was a Panasonic inverter microwave that fit. I love the one we have at home and want one in my 5er. Please tell me the model number and where t you got it.

Thanks,

Rich
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 06:45 PM   #9

I installed a Panasonic NN-SD372S.
https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-NN-...onic+microwave

I had to open up the microwave cabinet about 3/8" on one side and a little on the other to get it to fit. In the first pic, the blue tape shows where I had to cut. I also centered the opening to the closet door as it was a little off center. Still deciding what trim I want to use.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20170121_131602.jpg   Microwave.jpg  
Old 02-03-2017, 08:24 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Looks wonderful. This could become the newest Texas thing in Escapes.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 08:32 PM   #11

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Does anyone recall why ETI did away with the "old style" little cabinet above the microwave? Was it just for "cleaner lines." From recent comments, it seems like many recent and future owners actually favor the old style over the new but would now have to pay a premium for it. So what prompted the re-design that deleted the cabinet above the microwave? Just curious...

Oooo, just looked through my emails and I actually saved it, so here's exactly what Krista said on August 25th:

"I am writing today to inform you of a slight change in the cabinetry in the 2017 model 21’ Escape Trailer. There previously was a little cabinet to the right of the fridge at the very top. This little cabinet was very small, high up, and difficult to use, so in our efforts to make the cabinets more functional, we removed the small cabinet."

I told them I would definitely be using that cabinet and I've already wadded stuff up there, so it's gonna get used by this owner!
Old 02-03-2017, 08:44 PM   #12
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
We use the now discontinued little upper cabinet for our board games and trailer logs/manuals. Wonder if part of the ETI decision was folks complaining about the lack of a factory door-holder-upper device. Reace told me the ones used on the other cabinets didn't come that small.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 10:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
We use the now discontinued little upper cabinet for our board games and trailer logs/manuals. Wonder if part of the ETI decision was folks complaining about the lack of a factory door-holder-upper device. Reace told me the ones used on the other cabinets didn't come that small.
Maybe. I did tell him about the ones we ordered off ebay but he didn't seem interested in finding out more about them. This was before they decided to remove that cabinet. BTW, Dirk installed them, which weren't the easiest things to install, but they work wonderfully. I'm so thrilled with 'em. The cabinet door now stays open. Yay!

This is what I got for it from ebay (and many thanks to the person that posted about this last year!):

2Pcs 90 Degree Concealed Kitchen Cabinet Cupboard Spring Door Hinges w/ Screws ( 331732511931 )

And this might be the same item currently listed on ebay:

90 Degree Easy Mount Concealed Kitchen Cabinet Cupboard Spring Door Hinges Yjlb | eBay
Old 02-03-2017, 11:09 PM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Casita (Sold) 2017 Escape 21
We paid the extra for the "old" stack but since our microwave is on the kitchen side we had them move the microwave cabinet below the closet. Then we had them put a mirror as the front panel of the closet door. Without swapping the closet and microwave the mirror would have been too low.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0855.jpg  

Never underestimate a man with a Degree in Physical Education.
H46Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 07:00 AM   #15

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
I installed a Panasonic NN-SD372S.
https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-NN-...onic+microwave

I had to open up the microwave cabinet about 3/8" on one side and a little on the other to get it to fit. In the first pic, the blue tape shows where I had to cut. I also centered the opening to the closet door as it was a little off center. Still deciding what trim I want to use.

Tom, this looks super! And you have a microwave that works 300% better than the ETI supplied microwave. Did you ask if they would be willing to make the opening larger when you signed your build sheet?
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 07:07 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReagentGrade View Post
Tom, this looks super! And you have a microwave that works 300% better than the ETI supplied microwave. Did you ask if they would be willing to make the opening larger when you signed your build sheet?
Yes I asked and the answer was no.
Old 02-14-2017, 04:57 PM   #17

Here's what the finished install looks like. I tested for any heat problems with a laser thermometer and everythings fine. With the old style cabinets, I would not have considered installing this microwave as there would not be enough space to get rid of the heat.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20170214_162709.jpg  
Old 02-14-2017, 05:12 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Nice work Tom

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 05:45 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post

Hi Nancy,

Just like NW Cat Owner mentioned, we were also told we would not be getting that cabinet door either. We complained and they changed theirs minds. We will take any space and make it work! Our rig is a 2017 21' bumper pool.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 10:53 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Just like NW Cat Owner mentioned, we were also told we would not be getting that cabinet door either. We complained and they changed their minds. We will take any space and make it work! Our rig is a 2017 21' bumper pool.
Hey, is that like bumper cars? Not quite sure what bumper pool is. I wasn't aware the Escape trailers came with a pool! Dang, that must have been one pricey option!

Oh wait, bumper pull! Hee, hee, hee. (Yeah, knew what you meant, just had to tease ya, Fred!)

Hey, good to know someone else complained about it. Oh wait, commented on it.

Yeah, I knew there were at least a few others as ETI told me I wasn't the only one that wanted the original set up.