Pick up in January or Store until April? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2017, 06:39 PM   #21

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmtn View Post
I am glad you are bringing up the issue of a mid-January pickup. Our 21 is due to be hatched at about the same time as your trailer. Our fingers are crossed for a better winter than last year and we hope there is a week of good weather sometime in January or February. Admittedly we have less issues than you since we are west of the Cascades.
We are driving up to Chilliwack at the end of the month and we will be asking about how flexible ETI is about adjusting pickup dates around the weather.
Nancy
I am going to guess that they are quite flexible since I am sure this has been a concern for other purchasers. It would be wonderful to have one of the mid-winter warm ups in order to drive out and pick up the trailer.
New Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:49 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
As fas as turning the stove 90 degrees, ETI has done this in the past and they will not do anything that maybe a safety hazard, so rest assured. You just have to be careful when using.
In my 19 I switched the stove and sink because I did not want a vent and utilized the door location was better for the stove with the MaxxFan. So you can switch or reverse or turn 90 degrees. But the window is moved when you move the stove because it has to be closer to the sink, if you get the optional window in the 19.
Old 08-31-2017, 04:07 PM   #23

Trailer: escape 21, 2018
On our trip to ETI yesterday, I asked about the issues with weather and pickup dates and how flexible ETI is. (Our build is due to be hatched January 15th.) I was told they can only handle two trailers being released a day. They will reschedule people picking up their trailers as their schedule allows. It sounds like if someone cancels due to having to navigate mountain passes, they will try to fill the vacancy with someone who doesn't have the same issues. This past winter, a particularly wretched one, they had days that they could not even be open for business due to horrible driving conditions.

It all sounded very reasonable. They will work with their customers on scheduling, but they aren't going to try to release more trailers on a given day than they can handle, so that each customer gets proper attention on learning about their new trailer.

My biggest surprise at the factory was the color of the trailer walls--it is a cream or off-white color. I thought the walls were white looking at the photos on the forum.

Nancy
snowmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 05:22 PM   #24

Quote:
On our trip to ETI yesterday, I asked about the issues with weather and pickup dates and how flexible ETI is. (Our build is due to be hatched January 15th.) I was told they can only handle two trailers being released a day. They will reschedule people picking up their trailers as their schedule allows. It sounds like if someone cancels due to having to navigate mountain passes, they will try to fill the vacancy with someone who doesn't have the same issues. This past winter, a particularly wretched one, they had days that they could not even be open for business due to horrible driving conditions.

It all sounded very reasonable. They will work with their customers on scheduling, but they aren't going to try to release more trailers on a given day than they can handle, so that each customer gets proper attention on learning about their new trailer.

My biggest surprise at the factory was the color of the trailer walls--it is a cream or off-white color. I thought the walls were white looking at the photos on the forum.

Nancy
Thank you much for the update and info. I was confident that ETI would work with customers to determine a mutually agreeable delivery date. Very understandable that they limit the number of deliveries per day. Orientation is very important to all parties.

I did inquire about insurance for a trailer stored at ETI after completion. ETI informed me verbally and in writing that the trailer is covered under their business insurance until it is delivered to the customer. In our case, unless it is a very mild winter, we will be accepting ETI's offer to store the trailer at no charge for up to three months. It is reassuring to know that the trailer will be protected against mishaps until we are able to take delivery. I am sure that mid-April will be better road conditions than mid-January (although the dreaded April snow storm could happen). Thanks again for the follow up.
Old 08-31-2017, 08:25 PM   #25

I wonder if the 2018 models have any changes?
Old 08-31-2017, 08:55 PM   #26

Trailer: escape 21, 2018
The only thing we were made aware of is the new hinge on the door that is supposed to keep the door in place in spite of wind gusts. None of the display models had this feature.
snowmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 06:24 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I wonder if the 2018 models have any changes?
As SnowMtn mentioned, we were told a new door that stays where put - not sure I truly trust the engineers on this :-) but will proceed on faith that ETI has done its research and testing.

I was also told that the Horst probes are now standard.
Old 09-03-2017, 06:44 PM   #28

So far, not worth the upgrade....
Old 09-03-2017, 08:51 PM   #29

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Quote:

Nancy
When we picked up our trailer, Aug 23rd, there were 3 US trailers and I think one Canadian picked up that day. Reace helped do the orientation.
Old 09-04-2017, 12:02 AM   #30

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
I missed this thread when it was new, but will add this to the discussion.

My Escape was completed in December, and we picked it up in February. ETI told us that we were responsible for insurance while the trailer was being stored at ETI after completion. I think ETI view the situation as the trailer has been purchased and paid in full on the completion date, so the trailer is legally the property of the purchaser, but in storage on ETI property. I could understand that whatever insurance ETI has in effect would cover trailers still in production (i.e. still owned by ETI), but not cover trailers that have already been sold and paid in full, but not physically picked up.

I live in Canada, so my trailer was not exported, so don't know if physical exportation for US customers is required to complete the sales contract. This question would need a lawyer to answer accurately. That answer might be more expensive than insurance.

Best to check with ETI regarding the insurance before pickup. Maybe storage insurance is a new build sheet option that ETI should add, especially if US carriers will not offer it.

My suggestion, assuming you get insurance resolved, is to leave the trailer at ETI, and bring it home when you are ready to use it. Chilliwack got a foot of snow on our scheduled pickup date in February, so we delayed orientation and pick up by a week. And we are just an hour away from ETI.
KirkB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 07:26 AM   #31

All I know when I buy something that is made in China, it is not mine until I take possession, something that is similar to FOB destination, which in this case is Sumas, Wa. that trailer was not mine until it was imported into the US. If it was shipped it, then I take possession at delivery, wherever that may be.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:32 PM   #32

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
Wink

Another January completion date here. The frequent photos ETI sends are getting us excited but since we live in Ontario, Canada, we’ll wait until mid-April to pick it up. I sure hope the weather and roads in April are good.

So for now, we’re just making lists of what to bring with us for the trailer and what camping we’ll do while we’re out there. Is April in Chilliwack too ‘chilly’?
BluebirdHazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 01:42 PM   #33

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluebirdHazel View Post
Another January completion date here. The frequent photos ETI sends are getting us excited but since we live in Ontario, Canada, we’ll wait until mid-April to pick it up. I sure hope the weather and roads in April are good.

So for now, we’re just making lists of what to bring with us for the trailer and what camping we’ll do while we’re out there. Is April in Chilliwack too ‘chilly’?
If you don't need the trailer for some reason, no need to pick it up until spring. I wanted mine as soon as it was completed in January last year so I could do work on it, so went and picked it up then, towing across a few mountain ranges on the way back to Calgary. We were fortunate to have a great break in the weather.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 01:54 PM   #34
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
If you don't need the trailer for some reason, no need to pick it up until spring. I wanted mine as soon as it was completed in January last year so I could do work on it, so went and picked it up then, towing across a few mountain ranges on the way back to Calgary. We were fortunate to have a great break in the weather.
I agree. Ours was completed in early January, but we waited until March (as long as I could stand knowing it was completed) to pick up. The weather between BC and Texas was just fine by then, with very little snow and ice in the higher elevations we crossed.
Old 01-04-2018, 03:34 PM   #35

This seems to be a BIG winter everywhere. Lots of snow, wind, and cold! I’m glad we’re waiting until spring but sure wish we were down south right now. Brrrrr....
Old 01-04-2018, 03:39 PM   #36

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
I’m glad we’re waiting until spring but sure wish we were down south right now. Brrrrr....
Next winter after you have your trailer in hand, you can.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 03:50 PM   #37

Exactly! And we’ll remember what winter in the frozen north is like!
Old 01-04-2018, 06:18 PM   #38

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
After the previous 2 winters being colder than normal here at Quartzsite, in fact, for much of December, colder than home in upstate NY, I really appreciate the narrow band of warmth that includes the area this year.

My son in Oswego NY tells me it was snowing & under 10°F today. Here it was 78°F, and last night only went down to 50°F. The predictions are for rain this weekend, which I haven't seen since early November.

Hope the weather holds for the February rally!
Old 01-04-2018, 07:01 PM   #39

Trailer: 2017 Escape Trailer 21
Our trailer was ready November 30th . We live in a townhouse and will have to pay storage so taking advantage of the free months. We were told to get storage insurance, it was not very much. We live 1 hour west of chiliwack in Delta and will start to use it in March.
jkavanagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 07:28 PM   #40

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
This seems to be a BIG winter everywhere. Lots of snow, wind, and cold! I’m glad we’re waiting until spring but sure wish we were down south right now. Brrrrr....
Hazel you are down south, southern ON that is and it can't be as cold as the north, here's our dash this morning just west of Thunder Bay.

Adrian
Attached Thumbnails
fullsizeoutput_15d1.jpg  
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote