Pick up in January or Store until April? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2017, 10:58 AM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Pick up in January or Store until April?

Our 19 is scheduled for completion in mid-January 2018. It will be very tempting to go pick it up when completed. However, I am seriously contemplating having Escape store it for three months which will be no cost (it is $100Cdn per month after three) in order to have better weather for travel. My primary concern about picking up the trailer in January is that we would encounter salt covered roads, in particular the mountain passes between north Idaho and Chilliwack. I do not want salt residue to accumulate on the trailer and sit on it for months before getting an opportunity to wash it thoroughly. I'm sure others have had this dilemma and would like to hear some thoughts, experiences and words of wisdom. Thanks in advance.
New Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:16 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
You guys are so fortunate to live where you are. I just checked the map, you are close to both Osoyoos and Chilliwack, trips I have made several times but it takes me 3-4 days, one way. I love US2 across the state of Washington. I'm sure you have a better feel for the weather, but all you would need is a 2-3 day window to go and return. If you get the foam package, a lot of the frame is protected, otherwise there are truck washes available. Check it out and then make your decision.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:23 AM   #3

Trailer: Looking for 15b
If you are not planning on using it till after April and you will be storing it outside at home I would leave it in Chilliwack. Why expose it to the salt, heavy snow etc before you need to lol.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:26 AM   #4

Then again, if you have it home, and there is some nice weather, you maybe tempted to use it, we use ours year around, from 5 degrees to 105 degrees....
Old 08-13-2017, 12:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
You guys are so fortunate to live where you are. I just checked the map, you are close to both Osoyoos and Chilliwack, trips I have made several times but it takes me 3-4 days, one way. I love US2 across the state of Washington. I'm sure you have a better feel for the weather, but all you would need is a 2-3 day window to go and return. If you get the foam package, a lot of the frame is protected, otherwise there are truck washes available. Check it out and then make your decision.
Yes, it is a wonderful location. Our place is very rural tucked into a valley just west of the Purcell Mountains. If it were not for the adventure of traveling to new places we would be tempted to just enjoy our quiet area. I like that we are so close to Osoyoos - looking forward to camping there. I think I will just have to take a wait and see attitude. If it is a mild winter we might venture out to get the trailer, it like last winter, most likely we will wait. We are getting the foam package which will help. The trailer will be stored indoors once we get it here. We have not traveled US2 across WA yet. How is the pass across the Sierras? A pleasant drive or a white knuckle on the edge of the cliff type pass?
Old 08-13-2017, 12:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kootenaigirl View Post
If you are not planning on using it till after April and you will be storing it outside at home I would leave it in Chilliwack. Why expose it to the salt, heavy snow etc before you need to lol.
We likely would not use the trailer until spring which is why I am considering just having it stored in Chilliwack for a few months. It will be outside if stored at Chilliwack while it will be stored indoors once we get the trailer home. I just don't like the idea of getting it covered in corrosive road salt even though we will have the spray foam insulation. I guess maybe take a wait and see attitude - if very mild winter, go get it, it a winter like last year, let it stay at Escape for a few months.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:54 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Adventures View Post
We have not traveled US2 across WA yet. How is the pass across the Sierras? A pleasant drive or a white knuckle on the edge of the cliff type pass?
Washington State does not use salt on the roads.

US Hwy 2 (in the Cascades) is not a white-knuckle drive and is very pleasant especially eastbound. There is one corner that I don't like westbound but I've done it with my trailer and managed quite well on the inside lane. Oddly enough I cannot do Hwy 20 (which would be closed in the winter) eastbound but can do it westbound...can't do the edge-of-the-road stuff anymore. US 90 is a piece of cake both ways. This, of course, assumes that both highways are clear of snow or chains may be required. Just check the highway reports and you will be able to make a decision based on your comfort level.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 12:57 PM   #8

Trailer: 2001 coachmen
If you don't intend to use it until spring...have them store it! The roads are going to be terrible in Jan.

Just my opinion...salt can be so corrosive. We had two vehicles in NY..one for winter 4x4 and one for summer. In the spring I would powerwash the underside of the winter vehicle....needless to say...it didnt help...
reetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:15 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
A good question to ask about is: Will your trailer be insured while in Chilliwack? Whose policy? My agent told me that there are no US insurance policies that will cover a US owned trailer while being stored in Canada. Traveling around and through Canada ... no problem but insurance coverage during storage is a different animal.

Might require buying a Canadian policy.

Tom
Old 08-13-2017, 02:19 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
A good question to ask about is: Will your trailer be insured while in Chilliwack? Whose policy?
I agree a good question to ask but I doubt that one would need any additional insurance. The new owner has not taken possession of the trailer--and wouldn't in this case until the handover in Sumas--so I would think ETI's comprehensive property insurance would be in effect.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:30 PM   #11

To bypass Seattle traffic, we took US2 last October east to Spokane and I90. The little towns are adorable, especially Leavenworth.
Old 08-13-2017, 03:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
Washington State does not use salt on the roads.

US Hwy 2 (in the Cascades) is not a white-knuckle drive and is very pleasant especially eastbound. There is one corner that I don't like westbound but I've done it with my trailer and managed quite well on the inside lane. Oddly enough I cannot do Hwy 20 (which would be closed in the winter) eastbound but can do it westbound...can't do the edge-of-the-road stuff anymore. US 90 is a piece of cake both ways. This, of course, assumes that both highways are clear of snow or chains may be required. Just check the highway reports and you will be able to make a decision based on your comfort level.
Thank you for the good info. I did not know Washington does not use salt. The info about the passes is helpful. We have been on some very white knuckle roads in the past and prefer to avoid them when we can.
Old 08-13-2017, 03:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
A good question to ask about is: Will your trailer be insured while in Chilliwack? Whose policy? My agent told me that there are no US insurance policies that will cover a US owned trailer while being stored in Canada. Traveling around and through Canada ... no problem but insurance coverage during storage is a different animal.

Might require buying a Canadian policy.

Tom
That is a very good question to pose to my insurance company and to ETI. Thanks for giving me a very important item to ponder.
Old 08-13-2017, 03:45 PM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Adventures View Post
That is a very good question to pose to my insurance company and to ETI. Thanks for giving me a very important item to ponder.
As Karen has already pointed out, if ETI stores the trailer for you, it has NOT been exported yet, and technically you are not responsible for it until it has been exported and you take physical possession. Escape's business insurance would cover their inventory until it's delivered, finished or not.

Personally, I would not bring up the subject with your insurance company, because - trust me - it will only confuse them. They may even insist that you have insurance upon the day of completion, which is not necessary. The insurance needs to take effect when you have physical possession of the trailer.
Old 08-13-2017, 03:50 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
I agree a good question to ask but I doubt that one would need any additional insurance. The new owner has not taken possession of the trailer--and wouldn't in this case until the handover in Sumas--so I would think ETI's comprehensive property insurance would be in effect.
Very good point. I may have paid for the trailer but, like something that has to be shipped by the vendor, it is not in the purchaser's possession. I will definitely need to talk to ETI about insurance for stored trailers. Thanks to all for the many "words of wisdom".
Old 08-13-2017, 03:54 PM   #16

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Then again, if you have it home, and there is some nice weather, you maybe tempted to use it, we use ours year around, from 5 degrees to 105 degrees....
AND you'll have all that time to get the trailer ready for your camping trips. And to personalize it. And to wad it full of towels and other stuff.

Yeah, I needed lots of time to personalize our trailer. I'm still doing so. I think it'll be never ending. But I was very glad to have the extra time to get it ready. This was one of my projects:
Attached Thumbnails
DSC04904.jpg  
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 03:57 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
As Karen has already pointed out, if ETI stores the trailer for you, it has NOT been exported yet, and technically you are not responsible for it until it has been exported and you take physical possession. Escape's business insurance would cover their inventory until it's delivered, finished or not.

Personally, I would not bring up the subject with your insurance company, because - trust me - it will only confuse them. They may even insist that you have insurance upon the day of completion, which is not necessary. The insurance needs to take effect when you have physical possession of the trailer.
Very good description of the situation. I tend to think you and Karen are spot on. I will verify with ETI. Thanks.
Old 08-13-2017, 04:02 PM   #18

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
AND you'll have all that time to get the trailer ready for your camping trips. And to personalize it. And to wad it full of towels and other stuff.

Yeah, I needed lots of time to personalize our trailer. I'm still doing so. I think it'll be never ending. But I was very glad to have the extra time to get it ready. This was one of my projects:

Wow, nice work. I suspect my personal touches will not require as much skill. It would be nice to have time with the trailer before the camping season. We talked about not ordering until the spring delivery build slots but decided that we had put off the purchase too long. Plus - its our 40th anniversary present to one another.
Old 08-13-2017, 04:06 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post

I notice that your stove is turned 90 degrees in order to open up more counter space. We were considering the same for our 19. My one concern was that one burner might be too close to the trailer wall if we did that.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:30 PM   #20

Trailer: escape 21, 2018
I am glad you are bringing up the issue of a mid-January pickup. Our 21 is due to be hatched at about the same time as your trailer. Our fingers are crossed for a better winter than last year and we hope there is a week of good weather sometime in January or February. Admittedly we have less issues than you since we are west of the Cascades.
We are driving up to Chilliwack at the end of the month and we will be asking about how flexible ETI is about adjusting pickup dates around the weather.
Nancy
snowmtn is offline   Reply With Quote