Picket up our 19' - Overview - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Old 09-18-2015, 09:21 PM   #31
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
That Hope Flying J is exactly the sort of situation I was thinking of.

Don't write off the whole chain, though - the Sherwood Park (beside Edmonton, AB) Flying J has completely separate areas for trucks and others, but the side for the others has lots of maneouvering room, the RV parking spots are pull-through, and they have islands with sewer dump, fresh water fill, and propane all together for RVs.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 12:08 PM   #32
Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2005 Toyota Sienna
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
I still screw up most every time I put my awning up or down I stare at it for a while then figure it out I guess eventually I will get it right
My latest aid: I put the sequence in my "notes" on my iPhone.

Peace and Sunshine
Sandra L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 12:12 PM   #33
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B - 2009 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid
Hi P & L -- I appreciate the feedback on the training. Very helpful. I'm really sorry that you didn't have a great experience!

I am only going to do the two-hour class. Will be sure to get my questions answered on braking/downshifting.

Thanks so much and happy travels to you guys as well!!!

Originally Posted by P&L View Post
Hi EDarby!

We have been pulling a rather heavy tent trailer---can you believe it weighs more than the Escape If I were to do it again, I would call/e-mail them and let them know my expectations. I had a list of things we wanted to learn, but only did a couple of them in 3 hours for the two of us. I asked about braking, downshifting, pulling into gas stations (a personal fear of mine) and he nodded, and then we didn't review it again (and I forgot to ask). I think if we would have had another instructor it may have been better. Sorry---I don't remember his name. We practiced backing up, and sometimes he got the way we were supposed to turn the wheel mixed up. I know others had a great experience, but it wasn't in the cards for us. We did practice backing up into tight spaces in a jack-knife style.

I think we would do it over again because of the few pointers he had: start backing up into a tight space when the back bumper is where you want to turn, and when making a left turn, start turning when your shoulder is on the center divide.

Happy Travels!
You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.
–– C.S. Lewis
EDarby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:04 AM   #34
Trailer: Escape 19 2015
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
On the water heater element, we carry an extra just in case. The situation, however, is that, once you fill the hot water tank in the spring (check relief valve to see tank is full as Baglo says above), it can remain full until you are going to store the trailer for the winter. At that time, you take out the anode to empty the tank.

Thanks for the great report!
Great Idea Cathy! Think we will do this!

Also, We now look for easy access gas stations, or, if we don't have a trailer in tow, we fill up before returning to camp--thanks for the advice everyone!

We are on our second week of owning our trailer and the overwhelming factors have faded some. We still laugh at our lack of expertise when opening/closing the awning. Since this is a common tune, it may be a great idea to add a step-by-step photo process in future owners' manuals.

We did have an issue with the electric jack---we think because of the uneven roads a wire came loose. Reace walked my husband through some steps and we had to unhitch manually---I learned what a crescent wrench is. My husband fiddled with the wiring and we are using the electric jack again---another feature we love---sure saves the back!

We also are using the outdoor shower feature to clean off the hoses and sand from our feet.

Haven't used the air conditioner---but we should test it out. Now that we are in Southern Coastal Oregon, things are a bit warmer so we may give it a go. Mind you, we live in a very hot climate and even 60F is freezing for us!

My husband uses every space of the front storage box---excellent place to put the tools, hoses, levelers, and other necessities.

We really love the Oregon Park System and the KOAs have been pretty good, too. We stay at KOAs when laundry needs doing -- I'd rather not sit in a laundromat. We are currently at the Bandon/Port Orford KOA and we highly recommend this one. The owner told us of a nice place to hike/walk and this evening we went to a nearby lighthouse. Although closed, the moon, the light and the ocean's reflections were inspiring. We will return tomorrow.

I'm getting better at backing up and actually look forward to my turn to drive so I can practice new maneuvers! Speaking of driving, it is surprisingly easy to tow---much more so than our travel trailer. Perhaps it is the Anderson Hitch We find it easy to use and are glad we have it.

Best part: During oncoming traffic we waived to fellow Escapees! My first time seeing one on the road!

So glad we made the decision to buy an Escape. We are checking off so many wonderful experiences.

Happy Traveling!

Kilometers are shorter than miles. Save gas, take your next trip in kilometers.” –George Carlin
P&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 08:09 AM   #35
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Sounds like you are having great fun with your new Escape.

Originally Posted by P&L View Post
...Speaking of driving, it is surprisingly easy to tow---much more so than our travel trailer. Perhaps it is the Anderson Hitch We find it easy to use and are glad we have it...
With respect to ease of towing, credit should go to where it is due. The ease of towing of the Escape is pretty much due to the folks at ETI who designed and constructed those great trailers. Although, many people like the Anderson hitch, countless others who did not purchase Anderson enjoy the same ease of towing that you have experienced.

Keep enjoying that great trailer!

Dave W - 2013 Escape 19' and 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser

"When you arrive at a fork in the road, take it." - Yogi Berra
ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote