Picket up our 19' - Overview - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2015, 07:59 AM   #1
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
Picket up our 19' - Overview

Yeah! We picked up our 19 a couple of days ago and we are convinced we our the proud owners of a piece of art! Escape offers wonderful craftsmanship and beautiful design.

We have been on the road for the past four weeks, visiting family and seeing sights pre-Escape. The past two nights we have been staying at the KOA in Lynden in our new trailer and I highly recommend this campsite to become familiar with the trailer---a delightful town and we were pleased to have a comfortable bed and our personal washroom (as the Canadians call it!).

On Monday we had our orientation scheduled for 11:00. We were greeted by Barb. It obvious everyone has a huge workload, yet still, we felt welcomed.

I highly recommend bringing a pad of paper and pen when going through your orientation. We took a lot of notes and had many questions. Important to note that if you have aluminum rims, they need to be tightened while on the journey home. Plus---MAKE SURE the hot water heater is filled with water before igniting it---it could be a costly mistake.

The trailer was delivered to Sumas and we appreciated being watched as we hitched up ourselves. Per other blogs, we did give a tip to the driver---Manfred is a very pleasant fellow and very helpful.

We were exhausted and excited and opted to go out for dinner since we were starving by the time we set up in camp. Since we had been on the road for several weeks, our food supplies were down. (Plus I forgot my cooking pan in Seattle). Plus going cross the border you can't bring certain items either way.

We had a great first night's sleep and were awakened by rain---it was a beautiful sound to be warm and toasty and not in our tent! We like to keep the temperature cool, but with warm blankets. The next day we hitched up, returned to Canada for a driving lesson. Jury is still out on that one. It's good to get a refresher and the few pointers we got may come in handy.

So, here is my overview after having our trailer for a few days:

Glad we stayed in Chilliwack the night before. We had breakfast while sipping coffee at a local coffee shop, watched the video one last time, taking notes and writing down questions.

During orientation there is a lot of information. Take notes, photos and ask questions! I typed them up once we got to camp.

KOA Lynden is beautiful and easy to get to, and close to Sumas and Abbotsford. Most of the sites we saw are pull through and have full hookups. Amenities are close by, so you'll find everything you need.

We signed up for driving lessons at Valley Driving School in Abbotsford. It would have been too much to do that and the orientation in one day. Glad we took our time, but then we are retired and are not rushed. Again, for us, we aren't sure it was worth it, but both of us agree it was good to have rather than not to have a lesson.

Border crossings both ways were easy for us. There is a lane for RV's and trailers...we never were asked to look inside---though we got a funny look when we told the Canadian agent that we were taking driving lessons on day two. We had all our papers in order just in case: Insurance, export documents, proof of driving class. Barb from ETI told us to make sure the doors to the trailer are locked as they want to ensure that there is no possibility of someone sneaking into either country (depending on which way you are going).

At the recommendation of this blog, we gave the driver a tip. He was surprised and thankful, and we appreciated that he watched and coached us as my husband attached the Anderson hitch.

As far as the trailer goes, It takes a while to figure out where things should go. When traveling I use travel bags and find them great to store clothes in the cupboards. Like clothing stays together and everything is tidy. I got mine from IKEA several years ago.

So, we are pleased to have our portable Satellite Radio. We catch up on news and politics (ugh!) and like to listen to music from time-to-time.

We have the extra drawer under the wardrobe. Our jackets drag on the bottom of the closet because of it. I like having the drawer, but the small wardrobe is even smaller. Not sure of this choice, yet.

I overdid it with the captains lights---one in each corner. The standard lights are great and do the job. I would probably only install them by the bed if I did it over agian.

We did get the cot for our grandchildren, but when installed, the lower bed only has about two feet of space between it and the top bunk. So, we'll see how this works when we camp with family members.

We got the u-shaped dinette, and I like it a lot, except it does make for a small table Too small for more than two adults if the weather doesn't permit eating outside. If I remove the table it makes for a great lounge area.

We can see fine outside our windows, but it would have been nice to raise the benches for a better view. (Because we got the cot, that wasn't doable.)

Glad we got the front storage bin---we keep it full with tools, blocks, hoses, tarp, etc)

Haven't benefited from solar since we have full hookup, but we will with dry camping.

Still figuring out the hot water heater---need to make sure it is filled before we turn it on. It's not a big deal for me to heat water on the stove in the meantime.

We use the campground showers as the shower is tiny, but will come in handy when it is the only option.

I lined the drawers already as I didn't want to ruin the wood cabinetry in case of spills.

We miss the grandkids so we Facetime/Skype when we can. A few times, Grandpa and I made a short video and sent it to them. My daughter said her 3 year old kept looking at it over and over again.

Perhaps you'll find these notes handy---I know I appreciated the help when we got started. We are looking forward to traveling down the coast and staying in a place for a few days at a time. This is what it is all about. Today we will shop for fresh vegetables and fruit, and I hope to get a grill soon! I actually miss my cooking....

Happy Travels!

Lorna
P&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 08:10 AM   #2

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Congratulations on the new trailer. Sounds like you are having a blast. Be sure to post some pictures to share some of those great times with all of us.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 08:42 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Sounds like you are breaking her in good, Lorna. Enjoy it. Pictures of your journey are always welcome.

We can second guess a lot of decisions, but in the big picture, it really is all good, eh!
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:07 AM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Congratulations! Great info, we're going to the Lynden KOA as well and good to hear you like it. Enjoy ur trip home and safe travels.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:48 AM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by P&L View Post
Still figuring out the hot water heater---need to make sure it is filled before we turn it on. It's not a big deal for me to heat water on the stove in the meantime.
Congrats Lorna. Sounds like a great trip so far.

On the water heater, you can tell if it's filled by opening the relief valve inside the access hatch outside. When you have a stream of water coming out the valve, it's full.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:53 AM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
.... Plus---MAKE SURE the hot water heater is filled with water before igniting it---it could be a costly mistake.
Great report Lorna, thanks for sharing

As far as the hot water heater, the element is less than $15. Ooopsie, ask me how I know.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 10:03 AM   #7

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Congrats on your 19! Thanks for the info. Our final build sheet is due soon and we pick up ours in January.
Joanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 10:06 AM   #8

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
Quote:
I lined the drawers already as I didn't want to ruin the wood cabinetry in case of spills.
We also have a bunch of drawer organizers, i guess that is what they are called. The one bay equivalent of the plastic holder for your knives and forks and spoons, in the upper cabinets for spices and oils and syrups etc. So if they spill or leak, they are contained in the tray and don't mess up the cupboard.
Old 09-16-2015, 10:12 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
On the water heater, you can tell if it's filled by opening the relief valve inside the access hatch outside. When you have a stream of water coming out the valve, it's full.
I just open the bypass valves, and run the hot water until all the air is bled out and water comes. As the water comes off the top of the tank, you know it is full. Relief valves are not really meant to be regularly used.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
As far as the hot water heater, the element is less than $15. Ooopsie, ask me how I know.
Um, yeah.....me too.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...rned-1576.html
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 11:28 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Great write up.

RE water heater, I believe the ETI manual has a diagram in it. I'd have to look to make sure but I have seen a diagram before.

RE driving lessons. I'm glad you found some use to them - I did. I think it depends on instructor interaction as well as previous knowledge of the student(s).

Have a great trip home.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 11:37 AM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I just open the bypass valves, and run the hot water until all the air is bled out and water comes. As the water comes off the top of the tank, you know it is full. Relief valves are not really meant to be regularly used.
True - that's a better method. Thanks.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:09 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Congratulations. Nice to know details and that all went well. I wonder if ETI would mind personal recording of the orientations. That may help some, as there are lots of details to remember.
A suggestion for those who don't see out the window easily: Another bench cushion to put on top of the existing one, or just a small personal cushion or pillow.
Enjoy!
Old 09-16-2015, 12:55 PM   #13
P&L

Thanks all! The ETI manual said to refer to the unit's manual, and that manual hasn't been clear to us. So, Jim Bennett and RBryan, so how do we fill the hot water tank? Does it automatically fill by way hooking into the city water and/or our trailer's water tank? This is where we are confused now. Thanks for your input!
Old 09-16-2015, 01:01 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Connect to city water.
If you choose to use pressure relief valve to check if it is full, it's top, centre in this pic ( with water coming out ).
Attached Thumbnails
anode relief valve open.jpg  
Old 09-16-2015, 01:14 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Thanks all! The ETI manual said to refer to the unit's manual, and that manual hasn't been clear to us. So, Jim Bennett and RBryan, so how do we fill the hot water tank? Does it automatically fill by way hooking into the city water and/or our trailer's water tank? This is where we are confused now. Thanks for your input!
Hi: P&L... The hot water heater will fill auto., as long as the white bypass valves(->---<-) are pointing along the water lines and the hot water tap is open. Wait till all the air is purged from the tank and water starts to flow. At that point the tank is full and stays full till you drain it for winterizing or flushing.
BTW Congrats too. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1030928.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 01:21 PM   #16
P&L

Thanks all! This is what we needed to understand! Didn't want to go without hot water for the duration our trip! On to Montasano Washington for some coastal scenery!

I'll submit photos soon!
Old 09-16-2015, 02:05 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B - 2009 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid
Thank you so much for this post - it was very helpful!!! Had you ever pulled a trailer before your Escape? I signed up for lessons (the day after orientation as well) but wondering now whether I should take them. Did they talk about hills (braking, downshifting)? Thanks!
Old 09-16-2015, 04:31 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Thanks much for the post and congratulations on your new trailer. I think your idea of watching the orientation video before picking up your trailer is spot on.

Like any new thing, a travel trailer is a bit intimidating at first, but before you know it you become familiar with all the systems and it starts to make sense. And in the meantime you are having a ton of fun.
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:43 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Definitely found your notes handy as I'm starting to prepare for our pickup in a couple months. The build sheet is done and I think I'm done but no, there's so much we still need to learn now!

And Leon, thank you for the encouragement. It is intimidating but clearly based on this forum it sounds like there's a lot of fun involved too!
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:29 PM   #20

Trailer: 5.0 TA - Sept. 2015, 2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax
Great write up Lorna! We picked up our 5.0 TA last Tuesday and we also found watching the video a few times before orientation to be most helpful.
We stayed at Hidden Village ioin Lynden. Wish we had stayed at the KOA. Not our best choice. Glad that everything is working out for you! We have been staying either 2 or 3 nights at each campground. Makes a big difference. Helps to learn things about the trailer. We have enjoyed the State Parks in Oregon. Ft Stevens, sunset Bay in Coos Bay and today we are at Harris Beach and saw a beautiful sunset!
Enjoy and safe travels!
Joe Walsh
Charlie & Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote