Power Jack with Andersen Hitch - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2015, 04:54 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 19 ft trailer
Power Jack with Andersen Hitch

Hi, Everybody:

We are working through the options list for our recently ordered 19 ft trailer. It is a challenging assignment -- thank goodness for this forum -- a truly great resource for getting information. Our thanks go out to all who so diligently reply. We also visited several Escape owners at the rally in Osoyoos last week and that was very informative as well.

However one item that we are not getting a clear picture on is whether or not to get the power jack. I (Phil) am a little superannuated but I am reasonably fit and strong. Does anyone have an opinion one way or the other? If you do not have the power jack what exactly is involved for getting the trailer hitched? (We've never "trailered" before.)

Thanks for your help,

Phil & Laura
Valentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 05:01 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
I have the electric jack/Andersen combo; works great for hitching up (raise high to slacken the chains to attach.) A major reason I went with the electric jack is after I think everything is secured for travel, I use the electric jack oomph to raise the trailer/TV combo up an inch to two - that assures me that the ball is truly captured by the trailer socket for towing.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 05:04 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
If you don't have the power jack, you have to crank. I have the Pro Series WDH and to use it: I first lower the hitch on to the ball and close the latch, then I jack it up a bunch so that I can secure the bars, then I lower it all the way so the jack post is well off the ground and hitch is on the ball.
To unhitch: I crank the hitch up until the bars are not under tension, I remove them, then crank down until the hitch is on the ball, unlatch, and then crank until the hitch is no longer on the ball.
As, you can see, that can make one cranky.
With the power jack you just use your thumb, but I haven't figured out how to do that at the same time as you plug your ears ( my buddy's is rather noisy, akin to chalk on a blackboard ).
Old 06-03-2015, 06:08 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 17B Sold 5/2016
to what tractors1 and gbaglo said, I also have the Andersen hitch and electric jack - - would hate to be crankin' up and down and up and down - - - you get the idea. Heck, I even use a cordless drill for the stabilizers.
2012 4Runner
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 06:37 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Most times using the power jack I am thankful to Charly as I saw that on the build list he shared. Had the manual on the 17B and this rocks!
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 06:54 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I ordered my 21 without the power jack and I do not use a weight distribution hitch. That said, the one item I wish I had ordered is a power jack and I am in the process of installing the Andersen WDH. Enough said!

Edit: the usefulness of the power jack is not tied to the Andersen weight distribution but applies to most models of such a hitch. You may not need a WDH, though useful, there is not quite as much up and down without the WDH, thus it's need diminishes. Is it essential to have the power jack, not at all.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:01 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 21 'Toto'
I have the Anderson hitch and the manual jack. There is a lot of up-and-down, as wiser folk here have already described. I figure I'm burning dozens of calories with every hitch and un-hitch. However, when funds allow, I too will install a powered hitch. If the exchange rate had been this favorable when I purchased (not complaining though), I would surely have one.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:41 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Phil and Laura, very few Escape owners have power jacks. We were going to get one and never did and have not ordered one with our upcoming trailer. Cranking is not difficult except in a very few instances. It is no doubt very nice to have one but in no way necessary. You can also always get one at any time and an easy install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentine View Post
Hi, Everybody:

We are working through the options list for our recently ordered 19 ft trailer. It is a challenging assignment -- thank goodness for this forum -- a truly great resource for getting information. Our thanks go out to all who so diligently reply. We also visited several Escape owners at the rally in Osoyoos last week and that was very informative as well.

However one item that we are not getting a clear picture on is whether or not to get the power jack. I (Phil) am a little superannuated but I am reasonably fit and strong. Does anyone have an opinion one way or the other? If you do not have the power jack what exactly is involved for getting the trailer hitched? (We've never "trailered" before.)

Thanks for your help,

Phil & Laura
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:56 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
One of the things we did not get and wished we had. GET THE ELECTRIC JACK. That's our recommendation.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:56 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
As a mostly solo traveler with a WDH, my vote is for the power jack!
Old 06-03-2015, 07:57 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
I would like to get an electric jack to instal it myself, but do not know which brand to buy to fit my trailer since i have a store box and two propane behind the jack. The tight space is a concern. Please advise . Thanks
Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:19 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
When in doubt, call ETI, I have always found them very helpful. Mine has no box (pre-dates box) and one tank is in front of the other and my jack is an Atwood. I had ordered the electric jack option.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:33 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Depends on your strength and level of fitness. I don't have a need for a power jack now and probably not for quite a few years. When I do become old and wimpy, I may consider getting one then. They are readily available and easily installed.

Edit: I did not intend to imply that any of you with power jacks are old or wimpy. Was simply referring to my future status.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:02 PM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Speaking of power jacks, can anyone tell me the diameter of the stock jack tube? I've seen 2", 2.25" and 2 3/16" ones out there. I'm out of town on business or I'd just measure mine. Thanks for any info.

Robert
Old 06-03-2015, 11:46 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
Depends on your strength and level of fitness. I don't have a need for a power jack now and probably not for quite a few years. When I do become old and wimpy, I may consider getting one then. They are readily available and easily installed.

Edit: I did not intend to imply that any of you with power jacks are old or wimpy. Was simply referring to my future status.
Hi: ice-breaker... Two things I like about the 5.0TA are the Power Landing Gear. The same two things I liked about the 5.0 too. My wife works the buttons and I work the hitch. This keeps us "Hitched"!!! No need for a WDH either.
As for "Old and wimpy"... you'll get there soon enough!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:07 AM   #16

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Speaking of power jacks, can anyone tell me the diameter of the stock jack tube? I've seen 2", 2.25" and 2 3/16" ones out there. I'm out of town on business or I'd just measure mine. Thanks for any info.

Robert
I would say it is 2 1/4" but then the measuring is a little iffy and ours might not be yours. Maybe somebody can confirm.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 08:10 AM   #17

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: ice-breaker... Two things I like about the 5.0TA are the Power Landing Gear. The same two things I liked about the 5.0 too. My wife works the buttons and I work the hitch. This keeps us "Hitched"!!! No need for a WDH either...
I hear what you are saying about the 5.0TA. If it was available when I bought my 19', we may have made a different choice. Will have to rethink our situation when it comes time to make another vehicle purchase, maybe a pickup truck is in the works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
...As for "Old and wimpy"... you'll get there soon enough!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Yea, I can feel myself starting to pick up speed in the "sprint to the finish".

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 05:07 PM   #18

Trailer: 2016 19 ft trailer
Thanks for all the replies -- this information supplied by experienced users is invaluable to newbies like us. We are still thinking about it but we will probably get the power jack.

Cheers,

Phil & Laura
Old 06-04-2015, 06:29 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape 17B (2014)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
I would say it is 2 1/4" but then the measuring is a little iffy and ours might not be yours. Maybe somebody can confirm.
Yup. The jack tube on our 17B is 2.25 inches outside diameter.

-Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Jack.jpg  
Old 06-04-2015, 09:50 PM   #20
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Jane View Post
Yup. The jack tube on our 17B is 2.25 inches outside diameter.

-Dave

Thanks for confirming Dave.