Power line monitor? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2017, 12:23 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
Power line monitor?

Power line monitor?
I was wondering if we need a power line monitor to check the incoming voltage into our trailer when camping at a campground or RV park.
We have a simple searge protector that hooks into the electrical post at the campground. But should we check it with a powerline monitor first?
Does the trailer in the 21 foot have a monitor inside that tells how much voltage were getting?
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 12:50 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quilting Lady View Post
Power line monitor?
I was wondering if we need a power line monitor to check the incoming voltage into our trailer when camping at a campground or RV park.
We have a simple searge protector that hooks into the electrical post at the campground. But should we check it with a powerline monitor first?
Does the trailer in the 21 foot have a monitor inside that tells how much voltage were getting?
While it is unlikely that you will find a campground supplying more than 132 volts (the nominal 120 volts + 10% allowed by most utilities), under voltage is common, particularly in older campgrounds when the temperatures are at extremes resulting in electric heaters or air conditioners overloading the campground wiring.

It is useful to be able to monitor the incoming voltage to protect your air conditioner from low voltage (less than 106 - 108 volts). As an option, Escape provides a Progressive Industries EMS HW30C device, an internally mounted surge protector & more. It will shut down the incoming power if the voltage is too high, too low, has reversed polarity or an open ground, as well as providing surge protection.

While using a volt meter to check the pedestal before connecting your trailer is a good idea, it does not let you know that the voltage has dropped during the day. A built in EMS is a good solution, although adding an internal volt meter and periodically checking it is a less expensive option.
Old 04-01-2017, 01:21 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
While it is unlikely that you will find a campground supplying more than 132 volts (the nominal 120 volts + 10% allowed by most utilities), under voltage is common, particularly in older campgrounds when the temperatures are at extremes resulting in electric heaters or air conditioners overloading the campground wiring.

It is useful to be able to monitor the incoming voltage to protect your air conditioner from low voltage (less than 106 - 108 volts). As an option, Escape provides a Progressive Industries EMS HW30C device, an internally mounted surge protector & more. It will shut down the incoming power if the voltage is too high, too low, has reversed polarity or an open ground, as well as providing surge protection.

While using a volt meter to check the pedestal before connecting your trailer is a good idea, it does not let you know that the voltage has dropped during the day. A built in EMS is a good solution, although adding an internal

volt meter and periodically checking it is a less expensive option.

Thanks for the information Joe!
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 03:07 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
As an option, Escape provides a Progressive Industries EMS HW30C device, an internally mounted surge protector & more. It will shut down the incoming power if the voltage is too high, too low, has reversed polarity or an open ground, as well as providing surge protection.
We have the Progressive Industries protector and have had it shut off the power several times while camping, so I feel it is a great way to protect the trailer and I am glad we had it installed during our build.
Old 04-01-2017, 03:53 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Our factory installed EMS has shut down several times on the same day for low voltage.

After not having one in our Casita and having to replace the converter twice I would never go without this option.

The display always shows you what the voltage is and if there is a fault will inform you what the problem is.

Also nothing to plug in or mess with at the campground. Just let it do its job without having to mess with anything.
Old 04-01-2017, 05:13 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
We have been shut down for high voltage and all kinds of things. Would not be without the EMS. The hard-wired version is inside whereas you can get portable ones. Some have portable because they have more than one trailer but you would have to try to keep it from disappearing.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:41 AM   #7

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Added EMS

You guys convinced me that a hardwired EMS was worth adding. Went with the Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C. I believe this is still the model that Escape offers as an option. This is primarily to protect the expensive mini-split A/C we added from a low voltage condition, but I like the added safety of it not allowing power into the trailer if source is mis-wired. The hardest part was getting the existing #10 power line (orange) out of the bundle with the other wires, cutting it in just the right spot and getting enough slack for the install. This was installed under the front drivers side dinette seat near the power center. Very easy to wire and it powered right up without issue. Progressive Industries added labeling to the remote switch that now says "normal use" and "bypass EMS" which is a nice addition. It was getting late so I didn't test the bypass function. Bypass would only be used if there was a problem with the EMS or the open ground on the Honda EU2000i generator was an issue, but I also bought the ground/neutral bonding plug to hopefully be able to keep the EMS fully functional when on the generator. (For those wondering what the blue junction box is for it was where I had a relay that broke power to the old overhead A/C unit when the temperature on a digital thermostat was reached. This kept the loud fan from always running but the cycling was still bothersome. Unit was replaced with mini-split heat pump)

http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-In.../dp/B002UC6RSA

http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-In.../dp/B01BYSFQSW
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1496.jpg   IMG_1497.jpg   IMG_1498.jpg   IMG_1499.jpg  
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 02:23 AM   #8

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I know I'm ignorant about these things but what is a ems ?
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 02:40 AM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
I know I'm ignorant about these things but what is a ems ?
Electrical Management System... because it's not just a monitor or a surge suppressor.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:12 AM   #10

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Electrical Management System... because it's not just a monitor or a surge suppressor.
Escape inadvertently lists it simply as "Surge Protector" under Options on their website. As Brian has indicated, it does much more. Here are some key features:

• Over/Under voltage Protection • Open Ground, Open Neutral & Reverse Polarity Detection
• Open Ground, Open Neutral & Reverse Polarity Protection
• Accidental 240V Protection
• Surge Failure Indicator
Surge Protection: 3-Mode / 1,790J / 44,000A
• Amperage Meter Display
• AC Frequency Protection
• Adjustable Time Delay (15 or 136 secs.)
• Remote Scrolling Display
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 10:21 AM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
We had Escape install the EMS in our 19 a couple years ago. I really appreciate the
peace of mind it provides. Lightning storms, low voltage and power surges can do a
lot of damage. I also consistently use a water pressure regulator as a safeguard against excessive water pressure when hooked up to campground water.Regulators of all types are used for good reason.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote