Power or manual awning—pros and cons - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2019, 03:56 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
and there is a sale right now.....http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f2...tml#post285811
Old 04-04-2019, 04:27 PM   #22

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmantra View Post
Our original intent was to look at a 2020 build, but we might move on a trailer sooner than that. Production dates now seem to be the end of summer on the 19s. We plan a trip to Chilliwack in May, production dates may be well into the fall at that point. Thanks again Forum members!
If you haven't already seen the post about the new spring/summer sale check it out, if you place your order this month (40 production dates available) you can save $1,000: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f2...tml#post285811
Old 04-04-2019, 04:31 PM   #23

Trailer: Cycle Kamp motorcycle trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
If you haven't already seen the post about the new spring/summer sale check it out, if you move up your production date you can save $1,000: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f2...tml#post285811
Did not see this until you mentioned it—thanks for the heads up!
Karmantra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 10:12 PM   #24

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
I don’t think I saw it mentioned, but it might be important to some who stay places for a longer duration that the manual awning allows for a screen room option whereas the electric does not.
Old 04-05-2019, 06:11 AM   #25

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
Main reason we would not even consider ordering a new Escape when we were ready to purchase one was because at the time the electric awning was only option, I know that have changed that and can only assume they realized it was costing them sales without allowing that option.
Other then lack of ease of operation ( takes more effort on a manual), be careful about leaving out if real bad weather is coming what problems is there on the forum about the manual? Looking for problems on the electric they are easy to find on every forum out there. Sorry but NEVER for me an electric awning but I know to each there own.

Enjoy the journey.

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 09:40 AM   #26

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratos175 View Post
I know that have changed that and can only assume they realized it was costing them sales without allowing that option.
It had had very little, if anything, to do with sales, but more about customer satisfaction. Though there were some potential problems, it was more about customer desires and expectations, like with your wants.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 09:49 AM   #27

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratos175 View Post

Other then lack of ease of operation ( takes more effort on a manual), be careful about leaving out if real bad weather is coming what problems is there on the forum about the manual?

There have been a number of Escapes that had their manual awnings deploy as the unit was traveling down the highway, with catastrophic consequences. There are some disturbing photos in other threads if you search. This is why so many owners with manual awnings add auxiliary restraint systems, to attempt to prevent the same from happening to them.

I haven’t heard of any similar incidents with the electric awning. Plus, the electric comes with its own secondary backup system (full power disconnect switch) already installed with each build from Escape.

The majority of problems that I have read about the electric were, in fact, due to User Error. Specifically, leaving the awning fully extended in the rain, which it cannot shed appropriately in that configuration. Of course, this is easily prevented by bringing the awning to a position where it is only extended halfway or so. In this configuration the side arms provide substantial support for the middle of the awning, and rain runs off just fine. Like others, we have programmed an optional midway stop position with our electric, so with a simple button press it goes right there.
Old 04-05-2019, 10:05 AM   #28

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
There have been a number of Escapes that had their manual awnings deploy as the unit was traveling down the highway, with catastrophic consequences.

The majority of problems that I have read about the electric were, in fact, due to User Error. Specifically, leaving the awning fully extended in the rain, which it cannot shed appropriately in that configuration.
Absolutely right on both points.

We lost the awning on our 19 this way, but to be fair it was my wife who put it away because I had already left with another vehicle so not sure if something was missed.

As many at the last Escape Rally know that my brother had left his awning fully out while we left the campground and got hit with a terrible downpour. Damage to the awning was caused when it loaded with water. The damage was limited to being a bent pin on the trailer side of one arm. Reace got me the parts needed, and I was able to repair it fairly easily. As a bonus, I do know all about adjusting the arms on the awning. :
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 11:07 AM   #29

Trailer: 2019 21'-completion date August 15, 2019
I too have been struggling with the manual vs electric awning issue as I approach my Build Sheet finalization date for my 21'. I definitely like the look of the electric-sleek and encased, but the electric seems rather finicky, and prone to malfunction or breakage. on the other hand, I am having trouble getting past the fact that the manual arms cross over windows- the dinette window in the back, and the optional (which we opted for) bathroom window in front. Frankly it looks weird to me, like a design flaw, or bad feng shui.
I have a manual awning on my current little Aerolite. It is not difficult to deploy or put away. It seems secure when rolled up, and have never worried about it unfurling on the highway. The trip lever that you have to flip to unroll it is very tight, so I don't see how it can be accidentally flipped. The fabric does deteriorate over time where it is exposed in the closed position. I learned how to replace the fabric myself, and I figure for the cost of an electric awning, I can replace the fabric in a manual awning 2 or 3 times.
For functionality, I think I prefer the manual ("think", because I have never owned an electric). For style, I definitely like the electric. I'm still not sure what the final decision will be.
themarkofak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 11:13 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by themarkofak View Post
I too have been struggling with the manual vs electric awning issue as I approach my Build Sheet finalization date for my 21'. I definitely like the look of the electric-sleek and encased, but the electric seems rather finicky, and prone to malfunction or breakage. on the other hand, I am having trouble getting past the fact that the manual arms cross over windows- the dinette window in the back, and the optional (which we opted for) bathroom window in front. Frankly it looks weird to me, like a design flaw, or bad feng shui.
I have a manual awning on my current little Aerolite. It is not difficult to deploy or put away. It seems secure when rolled up, and have never worried about it unfurling on the highway. The trip lever that you have to flip to unroll it is very tight, so I don't see how it can be accidentally flipped. The fabric does deteriorate over time where it is exposed in the closed position. I learned how to replace the fabric myself, and I figure for the cost of an electric awning, I can replace the fabric in a manual awning 2 or 3 times.
For functionality, I think I prefer the manual ("think", because I have never owned an electric). For style, I definitely like the electric. I'm still not sure what the final decision will be.

Neither awning is a bad choice. Both have their merits and their weaknesses. You’ll be happy with either. Only a question of whether happiness level might be slightly higher with one versus the other, and only you can answer this as it’s a different answer for each of us.

For me, I’ve owned and use both, and prefer the electric. But the manual is a great awning too - better in some respects, but less so in others.

There are lots of other threads that discuss pros and cons ad nauseum, if you really want to dive in for a fully informed position.
Old 04-05-2019, 12:21 PM   #31

Trailer: 2017 19'
We have a manual awning installed in our FJ, but because it has a cover and takes a few minutes to deploy and put away, we ended up not using it much, maybe once for the 3 years or so that we had it..

The electric awning in our 19 got about 4 times of use so far, for the 13 or so trips we took since getting the 19. Funny thing is it's never for the sun and except for the first time is for "to see what it looked like deployed", the other three times were when it started to rain while we were at the campsite. It was like "Oh it's raining" "let's get the awning out and move chairs", and the awning is out before the chairs were moved. It's not pouring or storming rains, but it did rain enough for the awning to drain from one corner and not pooling, so we thought that was nice.
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 02:18 PM   #32

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
There have been a number of Escapes that had their manual awnings deploy as the unit was traveling down the highway, with catastrophic consequences. There are some disturbing photos in other threads if you search. This is why so many owners with manual awnings add auxiliary restraint systems, to attempt to prevent the same from happening to them.

I haven’t heard of any similar incidents with the electric awning. Plus, the electric comes with its own secondary backup system (full power disconnect switch) already installed with each build from Escape.

The majority of problems that I have read about the electric were, in fact, due to User Error. Specifically, leaving the awning fully extended in the rain, which it cannot shed appropriately in that configuration. Of course, this is easily prevented by bringing the awning to a position where it is only extended halfway or so. In this configuration the side arms provide substantial support for the middle of the awning, and rain runs off just fine. Like others, we have programmed an optional midway stop position with our electric, so with a simple button press it goes right there.
Is programming this function described in the owners manual?
jeffrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 02:30 PM   #33

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Actually it is this forum and the threads by owners as to how to deal with rain with the power awning. More like operator programming....we all know now how to handle it.
Old 04-05-2019, 02:57 PM   #34

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We have a manual awning on one of our FG trailer’s and an electric awning on our other FG trailer . Like Jim B posted they both have merit . If I had to choose again , I would go with the manual .
My post may be slightly tainted by the fact that our power awning does not work at this time
It worked fine the first time we deployed it but not on the second attempt or any time since .
Thanks to all of you who posted information , it will be a big help this Spring when I try to get it to work properly
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 03:29 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrow View Post
Is programming this function described in the owners manual?

Yes [emoji1303]