Power or manual awning用ros and cons - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2019, 05:43 PM   #1

Trailer: Cycle Kamp motorcycle trailer
Power or manual awning用ros and cons

My wife and I finally got see an Escape 19 up close and personal, thanks to a referral from Tammy. Older couple like us, friendly and happy to show us their Escape容ven had the same TV, a Toyota Tacoma V6 with factory tow package!
The easy part is that we have decided that the Escape 19 is the trailer we want. The hard part is deciding which options to add to our trailer. The biggest question is power awning or the standard manual awning because I think it will affect which thermal windows we get, frame or frameless. The manual would have the supports that are bolted into the side of the trailer, the power awning does not. Frame windows slide, frameless windows push out at the bottom (correct me if my assumptions are incorrect). Pros and cons? I sincerely value your experiences and comments葉his is our first and hopefully last RV and we appreciate your help!
Hope to make the 8-9 hour trip from Bend to Chilliwack sometime in May to get an option list finalized. Who is the sales rep I値l need to sit down with? Thanks Forum members!

Karmantra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 05:50 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
If you do a search you will see this discussed a lot. Having now had both, they both have merits. The only real negative of the electric is without the use of added support they cannot be used in heavy rain, fully extended. Otherwise they are fine, I love how handy it is to operate, the auto retract, and the good looks. If buying again I would go electric, and even if I wanted manual my wife wouldn't let me.

溺ost folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 05:57 PM   #3

Trailer: TBD
We have a manual awning on one of our FG trailer’s and an electric awning on our other FG trailer . Like Jim B posted they both have merit . If I had to choose again , I would go with the manual .
Old 04-03-2019, 06:28 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 5.0 TA
We're currently sitting underneath the manual awning in the rain. Terry will start cooking in a little while. With the electric we would have a pole where I'm sitting, or just getting in the way.

If you don't camp in the rain and just want shade, then the electric is the way to go.

Enjoy,

Perry
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 06:40 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
I'd suggest that you come to the rally in Osoyoos, BC from May 23-27 where there will be maybe 150 Escapes, all sizes and some with power and manual awnings as well as sliders and frameless windows. You can talk with the owners and see them in operation. Osoyoos is about 3 hours east from Chilliwack.
Old 04-03-2019, 06:44 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2018 Ford F150
I've had both, the manual on my 17B, and the power awning on my 21 (the only one available at the time). Now that there is a choice, I'd go for the manual. The ability to tilt it for water run off & shade when the sun is at a low angle is a bonus of the manual awning.
Old 04-03-2019, 06:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
The ability to tilt it for water run off & shade when the sun is at a low angle is a bonus of the manual awning.
I have never tilted for shade, but instead use a light cloth sunshade, even with the manual. They work great clipped to the electric awning too. Seeing you are stuck with the electric, you might give this a try.
溺ost folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-03-2019, 06:59 PM   #8

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19'er + 2018 Highlander
On the other hand... We had a manual awning on our Scamp 16'er and used it twice in 10 years because... You shouldn't leave the trailer with the awning extended in case of wind. And we come and go from the parked trailer frequently for bicycling, kayaking, hiking, whatever. So, we bought the electric awning with our 2018 Escape 19'er because we felt we'd use it much more often due to being a cinch to close. Granted not in the rain, but we didn't use our previous manual awning in the rain either.

So... I think your choice will be based on how you want to use it. If you stick around your trailer, then maybe the manual is for you. But if you come and go a lot, you'll appreciate the electric.
EscapeBoulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 07:33 PM   #9

For us it was a matter of training with getting used to the electric awning. We keep it out about 4-5' most of the time, and extend it fully in the hot sun. Evenings see it brought in halfway too. If it gets real windy we don't always wait for the auto-retract and bring it in a bunch proactively. When it is pouring rain we keep it at the halfway point to shed water off chairs and tables along the trailer, and if we are outside use a pole with a padded cross-beam. This pole can either extend to the ground or be brought up to be placed on a table top if wanted. It is by for less intrusive than the two side arms on the manual.

Bottom line, both will do the job. Each having its own merits. No wrong choice.
Old 04-03-2019, 07:55 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Bottom line, both will do the job. Each having its own merits. No wrong choice.
True story and I'm just grateful to HAVE an awning. When I bought my Scamp it didn't, does now!

The manual awning on Ten Forward works just fine. I use it 99% for shade. On the Big Trip and camped at the Badlands, I was able to deploy the awning, but NOT lift it up to full height, in fact I didn't lift it at all. I could still open the door to go inside (I'm not a big person). That shaded the biggest portion of the side of trailer in the hot sun almost to the bottom. Makes a huge difference when it's HOT and no A/C.

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote