Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI) - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-27-2017, 04:06 PM   #41

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Given their reputation for quality, we didn't hesitate to have our 21' delivered. No orientation at all, no problems at all. However, when a subsequent problem arose with the 21's bathroom hot water hose bursting, and Reace made his round-the-U.S. trip to replace the bathroom water lines in all the 21's sold in the U.S., he tested his replaced water line hoses and connections at 90 psi. Said it was the same test they do on the water system at the factory. So yes, they do test the water system at the factory for leaks at a pressure far above normal household water pressure. For those new to the forum and don't know, the hot water line problem related more to hot water temperature than just pressure alone (apparently, long, hot showers lowered the ability of the plastic tubing to hold up to normal pump pressure).
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 04:24 PM   #42

Trailer: Escape 21 - Nov 2017 "Harvey"
Since I started this thread, I figure I'd come back after a few days and provide an update.

So, a couple things have come to the surface through this thread and I thought I'd document them here.

1. for US customers, you can expect that you will have to import the trailer into the US the same day as your orientation. You cannot have a plan where you get oriented at the factory, then stay in Canada for a few hours or longer. All the paperwork is dated for that day, the border crossings have rules and limited hours, the ETI drivers have schedules to keep, there is more than one trailer per day, etc. This is NOT to say that you cannot work something out with ETI for other plans. But that same day/soon is the norm and anything else would require special arrangements.

2. Your "completion date" is NOT your orientation or delivery date. Do not assume you can get orientation and take ownership of your new trailer on the same day as it is "completed". I have now learned that you must schedule your orientation date and time. ETI does not automatically do this on your completion date. Some people were astute and scheduled their orientation date even before they finalized their build sheet, so set their orientation date months in advance of completion. I did not know this, I did not set my orientation date.

3. As of this time (late 2017) it seems ETI's production is matching their completion dates. They cannot move dates up, trailers are being completed on that date and no sooner. So, I am assuming from this that their internal production and planning is smooth now, the results of their building expansion all worked out.

4. As for making plans to stay close to ETI for a short period in case an issue is found: The responses were mixed on this topic. Many current owners speak highly of the ETI quality control process and the Escape trailer quality and workmanship. In all likelyhood, that quality reputation is a major factor in why anyone buys or even considers buying an Escape. Many owners took delivery and immediately hit the road and had no issues. Whether someone makes plans to do that probably has a lot to do with other circumstances, how handy/mechanically inclined they may be, how much RV experience they have. However, there are also many stories of new owners sticking close to ETI, to be sure, to be careful, to be prudent. And there are stories of issues that should have been caught prior to delivery, but were only discovered after a day or two of use. I am not referring to issues like a water pump failing 2 months later. I am talking about a window that leaks the first night on the first rain, or a drawer that sticks when all the others are smooth on the first day. In any complex product that is largely hand-built, some workmanship issues could arise very early after ownership. If you are NOT the handy person, or low tolerance for problems, or circumstances like heading on a month long trip require that everything be tip top shape, then you should probably stay close to ETI for a few days. ETI will cheerfully address any issues and immediately as possible. This last statement alone is different than the typical RV experience where "weeks or months" often is the first response to any problem.

As for my situation that I started this thread with, this is my update. I had not called to schedule my orientation. ETI had not called or emailed me to notify me that I needed to do this. I had assumed that my "completion date" was the day I was going to pick up my trailer. I am disappointed that ETI did not make this clear somewhere along the way. So, as of this morning I have an orientation date, but it is NOT the same as my completion date, they were already booked up. So, the entire conflict with US Thanksgiving, my inability to stick close to ETI to resolve post-delivery issues is now a moot point. My orientation will be the week after Thanksgiving. I can now easily stay in PNW for a few days to shake things out, return to ETI in the very unlikely event something needs addressing. I will avoid holiday traffic through Seattle, I just hope to avoid major snow storms in the area.
jking1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 05:17 PM   #43

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by jking1224 View Post
I had not called to schedule my orientation. ETI had not called or emailed me to notify me that I needed to do this. I had assumed that my "completion date" was the day I was going to pick up my trailer. I am disappointed that ETI did not make this clear somewhere along the way...

...I will avoid holiday traffic through Seattle, I just hope to avoid major snow storms in the area.
I agree with this. I, too, was unaware that I had to schedule an orientation time and had assumed that my completion date was my pick-up date. ETI should make this clear when the buyer makes a deposit and a completion date is set.

Regarding snow storms, it would be unusual for that time of year in PNW but the Siskiyous in Southern Oregon could possibly present a problem. Just no telling there...
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 06:06 PM   #44

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Buying an Escape is similar to purchasing a home, in fact you are purchasing a new home. When the house is completed you have to inspect it to be sure everything is acceptable. Then after inspection a settlement date is scheduled and that is where title is transferred. These are 2 distinct and separate events. Very seldom can both occur on the same day. Since Escape has to import the trailer, border times in Sumas are limited and has to be arranged ahead of time and paperwork prepared in advance. If you ever have your trailer delivered, the date of arrival will often change due to weather and driver issues. So in reality 3 events happen: completion date happens first at Escape, then import date occurs at the border and possession happens finally, whether in Sumas or your home.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:10 PM   #45

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Don't you mean Escape exports the trailer.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 06:16 PM   #46

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Yes, they export the trailer and you import it, but they have to take it across the border, not you.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:17 PM   #47

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
I agree with this. I, too, was unaware that I had to schedule an orientation time and had assumed that my completion date was my pick-up date. ETI should make this clear when the buyer makes a deposit and a completion date is set.

Regarding snow storms, it would be unusual for that time of year in PNW but the Siskiyous in Southern Oregon could possibly present a problem. Just no telling there...
I know that I was also surprised to have someone telling me that we could not pick up the trailer on completion date. I guess I wondered what the heck that date was for anyway! They must have this problem a lot.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 06:28 PM   #48

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
I know a nice Canadian couple who were none too pleased to learn they could have picked up their trailer almost three weeks earlier, however no one called them to advise. Communication could be better and I suspect more delegation to well trained employees could also be a benefit to the customer experience.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 06:43 PM   #49

Quote:

As for my situation that I started this thread with, this is my update. I had not called to schedule my orientation. ETI had not called or emailed me to notify me that I needed to do this. I had assumed that my "completion date" was the day I was going to pick up my trailer. I am disappointed that ETI did not make this clear somewhere along the way. So, as of this morning I have an orientation date, but it is NOT the same as my completion date, they were already booked up. So, the entire conflict with US Thanksgiving, my inability to stick close to ETI to resolve post-delivery issues is now a moot point. My orientation will be the week after Thanksgiving. I can now easily stay in PNW for a few days to shake things out, return to ETI in the very unlikely event something needs addressing. I will avoid holiday traffic through Seattle, I just hope to avoid major snow storms in the area.
So you will presumably have plenty of time to check everything that you wish. And miss at least the holiday traffic. May all be better for you to have this arrangement. And then you can go back if need be for anything.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:48 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
So you will presumably have plenty of time to check everything that you wish. And miss at least the holiday traffic. May all be better for you to have this arrangement. And then you can go back if need be for anything.
Yes, but completely had to re-arrange the US Thanksgiving holiday family plans. Thank goodness that was to be a driving trip, because attempting to re-book airlines for any day that week at this point would be troublesome.

And now the Escape pick-up bleeds over into the following week, if not even the week after that. So, even more work time off has to be sacrificed. And I'll be sitting at home the weekend before Thanksgiving and several days of that holiday week with no plans, wasting days off.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:49 PM   #51

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
This is the boilerplate email I received near 4 weeks before my Jan 26 completion date. I picked up on the 27th. The trailer had not even hit production yet.

Quote:
Escape Sales <sales@escapetrailer.com>
12/28/16

to me
Hello Jim and Lisa

As the trailer nears completion we can begin planning your orientation and pick up. With your completion date of 26Jan2017 we can schedule your orientation at any time. Please remember to bring any items, such as your TV, Umbra Hooks, Table Bases etc, to be installed in your trailer at the time of Orientation.

We offer three orientations a day:

Monday – Friday

8:00am – US or Canadian Customers
11:00am – US or Canadian Customers
2:00pm – Canadian Customers ONLY

ALL VEHICLES MUST BE READY FOR HOOKUP PRIOR TO ORIENTATION APPOINTMENTS.

If your tow vehicle requires any RV preparations such as:

- Wiring for a 7 pin RV plug.
- Brake controller with installation.
- Class III Hitch installation, or 5th Wheel Hitch installation*.

We work with a local company, Trademasters Vehicle Solutions, they offer competitive rates and can complete all of your vehicle preparations. We will be more than happy to obtain a quote, and schedule your appointment for you upon request. All vehicle preparations must be completed prior to your scheduled Orientation.

*If a 5th wheel hitch installation is required, please note, these can take 4-8 hours to complete, so we recommend scheduling this a full day before your orientation.

We allocate three hours for each orientation so we recommend watching the Orientation Video on the Escape Forum under Documents and other helpful stuff.

Orientation Video

If you require accommodations while in Chilliwack we recommend either the:
Best Western Rainbow Country Inn,
The Hampton Inn,
The Royal Hotel Chilliwack
River View B&B.

They all give our customers preferred rates.

Please feel free to forward any questions you may have.

Warm regards,

Roger Stam, Customer Service

Escape Trailer Industries Ltd.
43851 Industrial Way, Bldg. B
Chilliwack, BC, V2R 4L2

Tel: 604 703 1650 Toll Free: 1 855 703 1650
Fax: 604 703 1651
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 06:53 PM   #52

They have improved on that then. I just had someone tell me that we needed to schedule orientation.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:56 PM   #53

Yes Jim,
that is the sort of communication I would have expected. And I am not yet 4 weeks out, so I may very well get that same email soon.

However, they will have to leave out the ""...at any time..." portion and drop the rather surprising bomb that you can't pick up on the most prominent date in your contract, the date you have been waiting for months, the date you have eagerly anticipated, that which you have planned your entire life around, your options are later....
Old 09-29-2017, 07:19 PM   #54

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Yes Jim,
that is the sort of communication I would have expected. And I am not yet 4 weeks out, so I may very well get that same email soon.

However, they will have to leave out the ""...at any time..." portion and drop the rather surprising bomb that you can't pick up on the most prominent date in your contract, the date you have been waiting for months, the date you have eagerly anticipated, that which you have planned your entire life around, your options are later....
Sorry, and don't take this wrong, but I am not following the reasoning for your angst. Not really aware when US Thanksgiving is, I had thought your date was closer. I was able to pick up the day after the completion date, you just can't get any faster than that. They actually did finish up things and did their inspections and testing the day before. Are you saying you have to wait longer than the day after completion because they are already booked up for orientation and exports?

Regardless, I would suggest to try and make the best of this, as once you have that trailer in hand all else will seem pale, as you will be a new proud owner of one of the best trailers you could buy. Then it will be time to make memories.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 07:22 PM   #55

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
So, even more work time off has to be sacrificed. And I'll be sitting at home the weekend before Thanksgiving and several days of that holiday week with no plans, wasting days off.
Don’t waste the time. Read the Escape Owner’s Manual from cover to cover and watch the (somewhat outdated) Orientation video. For the OM there is a version on the ETI website and probably more recent versions linked to this forum under Files. This will lower your stress level, make your orientation faster and the overall use of your trailer more enjoyable from day one. It may also help you troubleshoot any issue on your own and help you determine if it is no big deal or a reason to head back to ETI. This process is different for everyone. Some people on here get upset seeing a bead of caulk that isn’t perfectly straight and others would just pull away with a smile on their face knowing they bought a great trailer and head home (comfortable troubleshooting and tinkering IF anything minor arises). Do what you are most comfortable with but I think that the ETI build quality and factory quality control and system checks speak for themselves.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 07:36 PM   #56

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
This is the boilerplate email I received near 4 weeks before my Jan 26 completion date. I picked up on the 27th.
I didn't receive anything like that in 2013 (as I recall) so this is an improvement. However, the statement that they can schedule an orientation any time is somewhat misleading as slots can be filled up way in advance for those in the know. As I recall I had to wait a few days for an opening...the point being that clear communication well beforehand is good for everyone (and for the buyer's expectations).
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 08:44 PM   #57

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
I didn't receive anything like that in 2013 (as I recall) so this is an improvement. However, the statement that they can schedule an orientation any time is somewhat misleading as slots can be filled up way in advance for those in the know. As I recall I had to wait a few days for an opening...the point being that clear communication well beforehand is good for everyone (and for the buyer's expectations).

We had a similar boilerplate letter with even more information in it. It was sent the week before our trailer was started. We scheduled our orientation day and time back on Feb 6th for April 10th when we were warned the April dates were quickly filling up.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 09:14 PM   #58

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Jeff, we were told at ETI that we didn't need to wait until production began, we could just call ETI and schedule our orientation. I called and got my appointment on the same day as our completion date. Ours is 10/30. I would recommend you call them asap and schedule your orientation and not let the calendar fill up. One more step closer to taking possession!

Sorry, Jeff. Didn't see your most recent post before I posted this!

"It is better to travel well than to arrive" - Buddha
Ljswany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 09:37 PM   #59

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
This is the boilerplate email I received near 4 weeks before my Jan 26 completion date. I picked up on the 27th. The trailer had not even hit production yet.
That's pretty much was our situation. We've only had 3 contacts with ETI; one to go out and order a 17 which, on the spot, turned into a 19; a second trip to hand in our build sheet, at which time we were certainly made aware of scheduling a pickup/orientation time. As it turned out our completion date moved up by a couple of months so we immediately phoned and scheduled our pick-up and orientation.

I am surprised that anyone could be surprised by the process. After all, person after person on this forum has used the expression "scheduled our orientation" and mentioned the export process. At any rate, even more people will know about it now.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 12:20 AM   #60

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I can certainly see that the limited orientation dates could be filled up early. I scheduled our Thanksgiving week 2015 orientation in May and the build sheet wasn’t even due till Sept. Booked the Best Western and KOA Lynden at the same time and got great rates cause it was so early. As jking found out, you can’t do this after an email 4 weeks out as the slots may be filled up by early bookings.
Anyone expecting a trailer and reading this thread - book early.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote