Preventing trailer theft - Page 10 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2016, 12:51 PM   #181

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Seems to me that insurance companies ought to give a little better rate for customers with proof of a paid anti theft/ locator service contract. But I don't think it happens on cars so trailers and boats are probably not a likely goal for them. ( insurance companies that is. ).
I do get a break on my homeowners for having a metal roof and on my Accord which is driven only a few thousand miles a year. When I worked for the city we suffered break ins regularly even with burglar alarms but not near as much actual theft as before we installed them. They were hell on them candy bars in the pool concessions before I started though.
Dave
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 01:17 PM   #182

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
More than likely it will be your insurance company suing since they paid you for the loss.
Probably not, Jim, because the moment the trailer moves I get an email on my smart phone telling me that it has moved. I don't expect they get 10 miles before the law is all over them and the trailer is likely recovered. I don't expect the insurance company to even be involved unless the scum bags damage it. In any event, I will go after anything they used in committing the theft.
Old 04-06-2016, 04:42 PM   #183

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
why not just remove your tongue jack? no way they can drag the trailer with the stabilizers down
Quote:
My point being on the tongue jack is unless the thief's vehicle matches the hitch height, without the jack the front can not be raised.
It would take 2-3 men together to lift the trailer onto the hitch.
This makes sense to me on the "anything that slows the thief down will help" basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I don't need the trailer jack. Just let me bring a good floor jack and a 4x4. Or even a crappy floor jack and a chunk of pipe. If I've scoped out your trailer, I'll know what I need to bring. Sad huh?
I agree... and a "farm jack" would be even easier. It would only slow them down, not make theft impossible (or even very difficult).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 04:43 PM   #184

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
My understanding is that the stabilizers are not designed to support the weight of the trailer??
No, they're not intended to be extended significantly while under load, but they are designed to support as much as the entire weight of the trailer, once extended. I agree with Jim:
Quote:
The stabilizers are designed to hold the weight but not raise the trailer. I have taken my jack off several times with just the stabilizers holding the weight.
Old 04-06-2016, 04:51 PM   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocamp View Post
an easily stored idea if it could work somehow on an escape wheel
Amazon.com: Brinks 3020-057 Trailer Wheel Lock, J-Lock Style: Automotive
That would work with the leaf springs on a 5.0TA (before the new-in-2016 version). To work with the trailing arm of the Torflex suspension on all other Escapes, it looks like the hook opening would need to be wider.

A more sophisticated version of this, for trailing-arm suspension, is sold by Al-Ko in Europe:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The best wheel lock design I've seen (but just online) is the AL-KO Secure, but it is specific to the wheel design, and specific to the AL-KO suspension (which is not sold in North America and specifically not used by Escape). One could custom-fabricate something similar, but it would be a lot of work.