Preventing trailer theft - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-06-2014, 02:59 PM   #81

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoRockiesFan View Post
Lousy website and they are out of stock but it would seem to have potential, like the Megahitch, it employs a "surround strategy" in this case round rather than square, perhaps providing fewer leverage points to pry the thing off and making it more difficult to stabilize while you cut through it. I have asked when they will be restocked.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 03:39 PM   #82
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
Lousy website and they are out of stock but it would seem to have potential, like the Megahitch, it employs a "surround strategy" in this case round rather than square, perhaps providing fewer leverage points to pry the thing off and making it more difficult to stabilize while you cut through it. I have asked when they will be restocked.
It's available on Amazon. I like it as well as the Coupler Vault because they are both "loose" on the receiver, which makes sawing much harder because you don't have a stable platform. Also, there are no bars to saw.
Old 09-06-2014, 04:10 PM   #83

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
All the methods discussed so far would be easy pickings for a thief that steals catalytic converters in his spare time. A small grinder with a metal cutting disk would slice through most of them effortlessly. I'm not saying don't bother, my Reese obviously only last 50 seconds in the hands of a determined thief, but short of removing wheels etc. most devices, as has been said, only slow a thief down.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 04:28 PM   #84
Site Team

How bout we just round them all up and dump them in the ocean. Sharks gotta eat.
Old 09-06-2014, 05:31 PM   #85

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
the most interesting thing to note is that in the stolen "Boler in Winnipeg case" the thieves just lifted the trailer away with a large pole. Locks, wheel boots etc. wouldn't have helped in this case.
Yes, and I am sure no one is picking up our 19' and walking off with it! On the other hand, if a 13' is picked up, it can't be taken far. Of course, it could be put into a closed truck. That is the problem with the very small ones. Slightly more obvious if a flatbed is used.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:00 PM   #86

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
All the methods discussed so far would be easy pickings for a thief that steals catalytic converters in his spare time. A small grinder with a metal cutting disk would slice through most of them effortlessly. I'm not saying don't bother, my Reese obviously only last 50 seconds in the hands of a determined thief, but short of removing wheels etc. most devices, as has been said, only slow a thief down.

Ron

Good insurance, and not leaving your electronic devices in it is the best we can do.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:07 PM   #87

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
Good insurance, and not leaving your electronic devices in it is the best we can do.
Yes, it would mostly be time lost getting another trailer and equipping it again for many of us. But those with vintage trailers who have put so much work time into them would have a greater loss. Glad the owner will have that one Boler back, at least.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 10:42 PM   #88

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I have guaranteed replacement insurance which will replace my 2009 17B with a 2015 17B if mine is stolen. I also have $5,000 coverage on personal effects.

I have a $11.95 hitch lock and no stress.
Old 01-29-2015, 03:50 PM   #89

Trailer: 2014 escape trailer 21
GPS for Escape if stolen

HI all, We've been considering purchasing a "GPS" type product to be installed on our Escape in case it is ever stolen (despite precautions we take). Apparently, it is something like when your pet is "chipped" and can be located. Does anyone else have such a thing? THanks for your help.
moments is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 04:08 PM   #90
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by moments View Post
HI all, We've been considering purchasing a "GPS" type product to be installed on our Escape in case it is ever stolen (despite precautions we take). Apparently, it is something like when your pet is "chipped" and can be located. Does anyone else have such a thing? THanks for your help.
You could always try something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Portable-Track.../dp/B008980YZQ

Or you could hard wire an old dump phone that has GPS locating enabled.

Or, as others have mentioned, just make sure you have replacement cost insurance and interior content coverage, a decent receiver lock and be done with it. Personally, if our trailer ever gets stolen I probably don't want it back. It would be most likely trashed or turned into a meth lab - or worse.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:46 PM   #91

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B - 2009 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid
Hi gbaglo, who is your insurance company? Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I have guaranteed replacement insurance which will replace my 2009 17B with a 2015 17B if mine is stolen. I also have $5,000 coverage on personal effects.

I have a $11.95 hitch lock and no stress.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:55 PM   #92

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Something like this SPOT device would probably work well. Tiny SPOT GPS Unit Serves As 'Anti-Theft Satellite Tracker'

I use a SPOT tracker for wilderness trips (mostly canoeing) and it works well. Cannot see why their auto/rv anti-theft device would not work well also. Of course, you do have to pay for the privilege of using it.

SPOT Trace

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 05:31 PM   #93

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by moments View Post
We've been considering purchasing a "GPS" type product to be installed on our Escape in case it is ever stolen (despite precautions we take). Apparently, it is something like when your pet is "chipped" and can be located...
Not quite - the pet "chip" is a buried ID tag than can be read if someone takes the found pet to a vet or animal shelter, and no one is taking your stolen trailer to the cops to see if it is stolen... and if they did then reading the VIN would work (no electronics needed).

Instead, these devices use a GPS receiver to determine the current location, and mobile wireless device (like a phone) to report that location, so you can track it down. By the way, you can buy this sort of thing for your pet, but it's a box on the collar, not an embedded chip. I remember when neither GPS nor mobile networks existed, this device would be science fiction, and putting it on your dog's collar would be ridiculous... but I'm old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
Something like this SPOT device would probably work well.
Of course, you do have to pay for the privilege of using it.
Right, the cost is to subscribe to the mobile service and pay the SPOT people to pass the location on to you.

If you're sufficiently concerned about theft, don't mind running power to the device, and assume that the thief won't just turn it off or pry it off and discard it, it makes sense to me.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 05:49 PM   #94

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5TA
I have a spot trace. I have been playing with it over the last few weeks. I currently have it in my truck dash. When the truck moves it send a text to my cell within 5 to 10 minutes that movement has been detected. You can also pinpoint to the parking space where the vehicle is located with the app.

The unit cost $100, and $100 per year of service. You can also pay by the month and there was no activation fee. It uses 4 AAA lithium batteries. You can also purchase a power adapter to hard wire it to power. I intend to conceal it in the bed area of my soon to arrive 5.0 ta.
strawbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 06:00 PM   #95

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
TANSTAFL: i.e. if you pay for it, it's available.

E.G. LoJack - Trailers and Towables
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 06:20 PM   #96

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDarby View Post
Hi gbaglo, who is your insurance company? Thanks.
Agent is HUB International Barton Insurance Brokers.
Insurance company is Elite.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:27 PM   #97

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
TANSTAFL: i.e. if you pay for it, it's available.

E.G. LoJack - Trailers and Towables
LoJack has a couple of downsides, the main being that you're dependant on local law enforcement to locate and recover your trailer- and frequently they aren't able to. I would rather track it myself, put eyes on it and call 911.
Oregonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 10:19 PM   #98

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post
LoJack has a couple of downsides, the main being that you're dependant on local law enforcement to locate and recover your trailer- and frequently they aren't able to. I would rather track it myself, put eyes on it and call 911.
Wha? You gonna Kojack that Lojack?
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 02:53 PM   #99

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Wha? You gonna Kojack that Lojack?
Nice call, Ross.

BTW: we waved in your direction; we were at the Honda dealer on Osos Valley Rd, to get our new (for us) tow vehicle. The in-laws used to live on Inyo Dr. so we hung out there a lot. T'is a beautiful area.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 03:57 PM   #100

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
I haven’t seen any discussion of using your home security system to keep your trailer safe. I spoke with a security technician doing an installation about this and he suggested two options, wired and RF.
To ensure the trailer doesn’t leave unnoticed you could use a contact coming up from underneath the parked trailer and clipped to your magnet to ensure your alarm went off as it was moved. This could be done by tying into a nearby contact’s wiring from a door or window and running it underground through PVC or conduit to the trailer. When you left with your trailer you would have to substitute another magnet to allow your security system to operate while you were away. The substitute magnet would have to be secured and oriented correctly to prevent the alarm going off.

If your security system has RF capability it is even easier. You just install the contact where you want it without having to tap into the security wiring.

Does this guys advice sound plausible? Also, I wonder if you could somehow use your home security to secure the trailer’s door or use a motion detector while at home?
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote