Price Increase - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2016, 07:33 PM   #81

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
It's known as looking it up on Google for a price from Canadian to US dollars. I do it about every day! I know it's not quite the same as what the banks may offer, but it gives me a good comparison.

Plus, listing it in US $ will only work if they have a US bank account set up and keep funds in it. I don't know if they do nor do I need to. I just know they'll take my US $ personal check and I'm happy with that.
Also, the exchange rate is constantly changing so the prices in USD would need to be frequently updated.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 08:55 PM   #82

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by barry View Post
I just read on the CBC website that one of the reasons [our] gas price is so high, compared to the US, is that we export a lot of our crude to the US to be refined then buy the finished product back!!
I'll stay out of the politics, but I am interested in a potential factual issue...

Since relatively little refined petroleum product crosses the Canada-U.S. border, and all regions have refineries, this seems unlikely. In a quick search, I didn't find anything about this in CBC.ca. Barry, do you have a more specific reference (or even a web link) which I could use to follow up?

Likely, a reporter has just provided a simplistic view of a complex situation driven by many factors. If your impression is that crude oil goes across the border headed south, then gasoline and diesel made from that crude crosses back at the same place, that's certainly not true at all. Crude is exported from crude-producing regions, refined products are imported where crude from elsewhere in Canada is in short supply or refining capacity is limited, and the two happen in very different places.

Anyone interested in facts, rather than whatever some news media want to use to stir up interest, might want to check out factual information from Natural Resources Canada in the Crude Oil and Petroleum Products Market section of their website. Note the date stamp at the bottom of each page: some information could be updated, but the idea of shipping crude out for refining and importing the product still doesn't make sense. I suggest allowing an hour or two to get a reasonable grasp of the situation... after that, you might want to return to the simpler world of international currency exchange.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 10:57 PM   #83

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA
Here you go: Gas should be much cheaper with fall in oil prices, BMO says - Business - CBC News

The article quotes a BMO economist for its facts.

Quote from the article ........... "If the greenback rises, the loonie will by definition fall, which means Canadians will have to pay even more loonies to buy products like gasoline which are made out of crude oil priced in greenbacks. Add in the cost of refining, the vast majority of which is done in the U.S., and you have a recipe for more expensive gasoline once it's shipped back to Canada."

Barry

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 02:50 AM   #84

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Barry is right. We have some refinery capacity here in Vancouver, but our gas prices are higher than in other areas of Canada because we rely on refineries to the south. Every time there is a hiccup in the flow from the Washington refineries we see the effects at our gas pumps.
Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 07:18 AM   #85

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
That sentence, typically written to be vague can be interpreted as saying, since the US has 3-4 times the number of refineries in relation to Canada, thus the vast majority of any refining, no matter where would wane in comparison. In Economics it is called "economies of scale" meaning, as production grows cost per unit declines. So in comparison, the cost of refining done in Canada maybe be 3 times what it is in the US, thus the disparity.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:25 AM   #86

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
The base price of the Escape 19 is still about $2000 less than what we paid in 2013.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 09:22 AM   #87

Trailer: 2014 E21
Why couldn't ETI establish a branch facility in the US (say in Sumas WA, to pick a place at random) to which payment would be directed from US buyers and from which payment to US suppliers could be made, thereby eliminating the adverse effects of the exchange rate in paying for US-supplied components and materials? Under NAFTA, I assume, there'd be no duties on importing the materials from US suppliers into Canada and ETI would simply tap into its funds at the US bank as needed. ETI could have a two tiered pricing model wherein Canadian buyers would pay in CAD and US (and other buyers) would pay in USD. As long as the exchange rate disparity remains as large as it is, such an arrangement might be cost effective. And it could result in mitigating the need for large price increases to customers. Are there legal impediments to such a strategy?

Glenn
Old 01-31-2016, 09:55 AM   #88

Trailer: 85 Bigfoot F20 5th Wheel
One would guess that aside from the labor component, the majority of their input costs are either directly or at least indirectly affected by the US$. One could also surmise that the majority of their sales are also to US customers. As much as it pains me, being on the north side of the border, I am surprised that they simply have not just published their price list in US$.
dalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 10:15 AM   #89

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
It's known as looking it up on Google for a price from Canadian to US dollars. I do it about every day! I know it's not quite the same as what the banks may offer, but it gives me a good comparison.

Plus, listing it in US $ will only work if they have a US bank account set up and keep funds in it. I don't know if they do nor do I need to. I just know they'll take my US $ personal check and I'm happy with that.
I looked up the exchange rate pretty much everyday once we ordered too. I was thinking about my experience when I was looking. I was looking online at Casita, EggCampers, Scamp, etc. Their prices are all in USD. The first few times I came to the Escape site I saw the prices and thought Escapes were on the expensive side versus the others. The dollar units are close enough that I wasn't making the mental connection that these prices are really a percentage lower. (5%-10% lower when we ordered, 30% lower today). The USD CDN exchange rate is not one of those things most people follow daily (except those of us on this forum). When everything else led me back to Escape, I finally did the math and realized that Escape's were a pretty good value. Its important to make the connection for the potential customer when they are looking at the page. Maybe even adding a feed to to webpage with today's exchange rate would do the trick.

Just like the start to this thread - ETI has a $4000 price increase. If you're in Canada, yes its $4000 (ouch), but if you're in the US, this is only a $2800 price increase. $2800 is more agreeable than $4000.

Most injuries injuries in old men occur because they think they are young men!
bisonbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 10:27 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by abby View Post
Why couldn't ETI establish a branch facility in the US (say in Sumas WA, to pick a place at random) to which payment would be directed from US buyers and from which payment to US suppliers could be made, thereby eliminating the adverse effects of the exchange rate in paying for US-supplied components and materials? Under NAFTA, I assume, there'd be no duties on importing the materials from US suppliers into Canada and ETI would simply tap into its funds at the US bank as needed. ETI could have a two tiered pricing model wherein Canadian buyers would pay in CAD and US (and other buyers) would pay in USD. As long as the exchange rate disparity remains as large as it is, such an arrangement might be cost effective. And it could result in mitigating the need for large price increases to customers. Are there legal impediments to such a strategy?

Glenn
I've often thought the same thing. Having US buyers take delivery from an entity in the US would solve some of the problems that US buyers have, trying to figure out how to make payments, storage in another country pre-delivery, registrations for the return trip. The only thing is that ETI might not be big enough to make this cost effective and the administration might drive Tammy and Reece nuts.

Sumas isn't too much of a boom town. There should be some space available (like the empty gas station next to Bob's Burgers)

Old 01-31-2016, 10:35 AM   #91

I'll volunteer to be the Escape's Mid Atlantic Office, they provide a unit for an office and I'll handle the paperwork out of the trailer, we could set up a regional network, maybe 4 offices in the US?
Old 01-31-2016, 10:40 AM   #92

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
For us in Canada, the price is what it is, whether $4,000 CAD, or $2,800 USD. It is exactly the same thing. The same the other way. As Escape does business in Canada, they have to plan and price in Canadian dollars. Setting up in the US will not change what their costs are, just add to their overhead costs, resulting in yet higher sell costs.

The increase in price is only partially due to the exchange rate, some of it is likely due to the new features too. Their increased sell cost to cover the exchange rate does affect us in Canada, as it does with anything we purchase from the US. For those south of the 49th, before any increase you were basically getting a really good deal on the trailer, which includes those US purchased components, and now will be getting these components at a cost more similar to what you would pay in the US. Americans are still getting a great deal on Canadian made products, and the Canadian labour to build.

What I am trying to say in this babble, is I really don't believe there is any benefit for Escape to work in the US, or in US dollars.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 10:50 AM   #93

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
If I recall on the wiring instructions they already have a Wells Fargo acct in the US. In addition Canadien banks offer accounts in CA$ and or US$ both of which I recall ETI having at their bank in Chilliwack. I'm sure they have been ordering their US parts and paying with US $ for years and are not taking the hit on the exchange rate. They would have to pay customs when the parts come through but that has always been there.
When you send payments to them in US$ I doubt they are actually converted to CA$ you are most likely given a paper conversion rate on your build sheet and the money remains in US$ account. If and when the rates swing to favor CA it would be done in reverse.
The only thing would be if there are any CA laws that regulate how much a CA business can keep in another currency. I doubt there are, but one never knows with govt.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 11:37 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I'll volunteer to be the Escape's Mid Atlantic Office, they provide a unit for an office and I'll handle the paperwork out of the trailer, we could set up a regional network, maybe 4 offices in the US?
Jim,
You already are Escape's mid-Atlantic office. You do product design, product testing, you're the showroom.

Old 01-31-2016, 11:43 AM   #95

off topic, but wanted to share the thawing right now and the fish enjoying the sunshine...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0274.jpg   IMG_0275.jpg  
Old 01-31-2016, 11:52 AM   #96

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
off topic, but wanted to share the thawing right now and the fish enjoying the sunshine...
Very cool ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 11:56 AM   #97

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Jim is the metal disk in the center a heater?

Doug
Old 01-31-2016, 11:57 AM   #98

yes, connected to a thermocube on/off @ 30/40 degrees
Old 01-31-2016, 12:13 PM   #99

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Price Increase

Those thermocubes are the sure great. Once I de-winterize in early spring I put a heater in the trailer and use the cube to keep the lines from freezing during the last of the cold snaps. Mine comes on at 35 and I believe it kicks off at 42. Works great have had this one for a long time.

What is the make of your pond heater, wattage and where did you get it, looks nicer then a stock tank heater.

Cheers
Doug
Old 01-31-2016, 12:47 PM   #100

Trailer: 19' towed by a 4Runner
Factory direct is factory direct, nuf said.
GRINGOandTICA is offline   Reply With Quote