Price Increase - Page 9 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2016, 01:17 PM   #161

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Thanks Jim,
You can be assured I will have it along at Osoyoos, The Wine Escape and the Mississippi River Function. Someone is bound to have a methodology for weighing the fifth wheel weight. It would seem to me to be a front and back axle situation like they use on semi trailer rigs. Probably take a tolerant scale person at the local quarry, landfill or grain elevator on a slow day. I'm not sure a scrapple bribe would be enough. I'm thinking cookies at the least. I noticed a scale at a local logging and lumber mill west of us the other day. Without anyone around and nobody on the scale, the digital readout showed 60 pounds? No sure about the accuracy, might have been that much mud on the plate. Thanks again,
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 01:43 PM   #162

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Hey Dave,
Since I will no longer be using that Sherline, you can have it. Just be sure and offer others at various rallies the chance to use it, it can become a "group" scale passed around. Not sure how to measure pin weight?
Could you not just block up under the hitch, and lower the kingpin onto the scale. A few wood blocks in the back of a pickup would get you to the right height.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 01:46 PM   #163

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I do not think you can weight something that is on a suspension, as your truck bed, maybe inaccurate. Also not sure if the kingpin will fit onto the Sherline.
Old 02-02-2016, 01:50 PM   #164

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
There are instructions for using the Sherline to measure fifth wheel at Sherline site.

Trailer Loading and Towing Guide
Old 02-02-2016, 01:54 PM   #165

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
I do not think you can weight something that is on a suspension, as your truck bed, maybe inaccurate. Also not sure if the kingpin will fit onto the Sherline.
Weight is mass acting downwards, and being on a suspension would not matter at all. Never thought about the scale actually fitting.

edit: Or just follow the guidelines baglo posted.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 02:56 PM   #166

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Jim if it turns out that you need a piece of plate steel to span or fit over the scale pin for stability, let me know, I have some here and can get more.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 04:51 PM   #167

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Thanks Dave, perhaps you can make a piece that fits in the middle hole, the black thing in the middle unscrews. That way others can use it for both tongue and pin weights, thanx
Old 02-03-2016, 08:38 PM   #168

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I do not think you can weight something that is on a suspension, as your truck bed, maybe inaccurate.
The only problem is if the pin height is not the same as when towing, since the height affects how the load distributes between the axles and the pin. As long as it settles at about the right height, weighing the pin in the truck bed (as Sherline suggests) makes perfect sense to me.

Also, if your hitch positions the pin directly over the axle, or very close, you can just take the difference of drive-over scale readings for the truck's rear axle with and without the trailer... or regardless of the hitch position take the difference of drive-over scale readings for the entire truck with and without the trailer.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:49 AM   #169

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Those of us in the US awaiting being able to order and wanting to take advantage of the low CAD/USD exchange rate can consider this ETF (exchange traded fund) CurrencyShares Canadian Dollar ETF (FXC) If you buy shares of it, you are essentially just buying CADs. If the CAD goes up in relation to the USD from your purchase price of the shares you win , (if the CAD goes down further you lose ), but it gives you another option.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 01:06 PM   #170

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Do they teach personal fiscal responsibility in school? Seems like a good use of student and teacher time. I haven't been in public school for a half a century but did manage some pretty good sized budgets when I was working. Sometimes you have to say no.
Dave
that's funny..if they did that in the USA, then the USA consumer based economy would collapse...the young consumers motto is " have to have that "I thingy" now and will go into more debt today to get it".... even if its obsolete the minute its purchased if not before!
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:26 PM   #171

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
that's funny..if they did that in the USA, then the USA consumer based economy would collapse...the young consumers motto is " have to have that "I thingy" now and will go into more debt today to get it".... even if its obsolete the minute its purchased if not before!
Wow censorship in action . Your comment quoting Glenn at 11:36 am disappeared on this thread . Came through on my e- mail before it disappeared . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:39 PM   #172

Not a clue what you are talking about Pat.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:55 PM   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Not a clue what you are talking about Pat.
Maybe he removed it himself . Pat
Old 02-04-2016, 09:57 PM   #174

Beats me.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:30 PM   #175
xyz

Trailer: nunya
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
I will never understand all the millennial hate.
xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 12:30 PM   #176

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
The option list has changed once sgain! (At least for the 19): Extra insulation & frameless thermal windows (incl opening rear window, frt window with rock shield non thermal), and storage cubby cabinet bins for outside bathroom door
Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 12:42 PM   #177

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Frameless Windows

There is no pic on the ETI website for the frameless windows. Are they like these?
Attached Thumbnails
frameless-windows.jpg  
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 12:58 PM   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
The option list has changed once sgain! (At least for the 19): Extra insulation & frameless thermal windows (incl opening rear window, frt window with rock shield non thermal), and storage cubby cabinet bins for outside bathroom door
Would like to see storage cubby outside bath door ? Pat
Old 02-06-2016, 12:59 PM   #179

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Interesting! Thanks for posting.

Well, that confirms that the frameless windows will be thermal. Good! And they'll probably look like what Karen posted as that type seems to be on a vast majority of RVs these days. Most are awning type, but you can also get them with a slider window.

I found this link when I was cruising around, looking for info on frameless RV windows:

Guide to RV Windows, It's All About the Glass

Edit: They're listed on all of the trailers (least the windows; I didn't check for the cubbies, but would assume so).
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 01:05 PM   #180

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
This is really a "2017 model information" topic, rather than "price increase" discussion...
Quote:
The option list has changed once sgain! (At least for the 19): Extra insulation & frameless thermal windows (incl opening rear window, frt window with rock shield non thermal)...
Many of the option listings (and it seems more than previously) include a make and model, or a photo, or both. This seems like a good item to have that extra description.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
There is no pic on the ETI website for the frameless windows. Are they like these?
I don't know, but that's the style I have seen on other brands of trailers... usually relatively expensive trailers (most that I have seen in RV shows in even the last year are still not this style). Of course they are not actually frameless, but the glass (just the outer pane in the case of dual-pane) overlaps the frame; that looks good and might conduct a bit less heat.

The "frameless" design does stick out more from the trailer wall than a conventional window. This might be an opportunity to take advantage of what can be done with moulded fiberglass, by recessing the window area so that the outer glass surface is flush with the surrounding trailer body, but since that would shift the window further into the interior it would make sense only with a thicker body wall, such as one using the core material that Escape puts in the roof of larger models.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote