propane sensor? - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2018, 09:06 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21'
propane sensor?

The propane sensor alarm on our new 21 has activated 2 times since July.
1st time was in a RV park on the drive home, and the 2nd time was today after being closed up for a few days in our back yard, the propane tanks were turned off. Could this be due to fiberglass fumes from the new construction?
Both times I turned on the AC and reset the propane sensor, and everything was OK. Thanks for your comments.

Ripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 09:24 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Do you have a U dinette and inside batteries? Where is the alarm located on new trailers?

The solar charging my batteries occasionally sets off the alarm. I've also heard of dogs setting them off, no idea if they have to be wet dogs. Vacuuming the sensor can help.

Some of us have added a switch to kill the alarm, obviously you are not alone.

Old 09-08-2018, 09:58 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Welcome to the club, failing propane sensors seem to be the norm. As Bob mentioned our number one cause is solar charging, but we have had it go off while plugged into shore power as well. I installed a kill switch this last spring and what a relief, we can now leave home and not have to worry about the campground host tracking us down at the beach because the propane alarm is sounding. No dogs, lots of effort at sealing the battery box it now appears AGM batteries are on the horizon. Also replaced the sensor of course.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 11:33 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
My propane sensor failed this spring and I had to disconnect it to shut it up. The one thing I will admit is that it will sure wake you up. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 01:19 AM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
We just picked up our 19 last week and went through orientation. During the explanation about the propane sensor, they asked if we had a dog. Why yes, we happen to have 3. Do any of them pass gas during the night? Umm, sometimes. It was then explained if a dog is lying near the sensor and has an expulsion, that's enough to set the thing off! I thought they were trying to be funny, but perhaps not??
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 01:33 AM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by salmo7000 View Post
... It was then explained if a dog is lying near the sensor and has an expulsion, that's enough to set the thing off! I thought they were trying to be funny, but perhaps not??
Not kidding. The problematic component of intestinal gas (for this purpose) is methane (the primary component of natural gas), which is close enough to propane that the propane detector's sensor responds to it; methane and propane are the 1-carbon and 3-carbon molecules of the simple saturated hydrocarbons (CH4 and C3H8)
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 07:45 AM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21'
We do have the u shaped dinette, and we do not have a dog. The sensor is near the floor between the dinette and the refrigerator. Where did you attach the cut-off switch?
Ripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:55 AM   #8

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 Escape 19' (Sold)
We pick up our trailer on Monday so we will definitely be asking about this as one of our dogs is terrified of beeping noises (e g. smoke detectors, answering machine, etc). A kill switch would be a necessity if we don't want a doggie heart attack. BTW, why would AGM batteries be better? We're unfamiliar with that brand.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:06 AM   #9

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 Escape 19' (Sold)
Just found this which explains their use: https://www.solar-electric.com/agm-b...echnology.html. Sounds like they may be a good fit for the 21' if they're not too heavy.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:17 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
The cutoff switch is easiest next to the propane sensor. The best installation would be a lighted model that showed green when on and red when off. That required more digging for the proper model and some additional wiring. Not what I wanted to do. I choose to live with orange LED when on and nothing when off.

AGM batteries are a different battery type, not a different brand. The manufacturing process makes for a different amount of off gassing, a common cause of propane alarms. The use of these expensive batteries does not solve all false alarms, it just addresses a frequent source. There are a number of other advantages to AGM beside the elimination of off gassing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Propane Switch.jpeg (308.9 KB, 7 views)

fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote