Propane Tanks. Full? Empty? Or somewhere in between? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2017, 02:34 PM   #21

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Closing one tank defeats the system all right, but it's kinda like trying to tell yourself a lie.
I beg to differ.

Per Mike: "She don't lie, she don't lie, she don't lie,
Propane."
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 03:22 PM   #22

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
I replaced my ETI tanks with a pair from ..... where else? .... Costco. For about $24.00 US you can buy a tank with a meter. Its not a pressure meter but one with a float inside the tank for better accuracy.... of course the tank is empty but purged. Not all propane stores can 'purge' a new tank. They are still new to me but so far so good. My old tanks are now 'extras' for my BBQ at home.

Tom
Old 06-03-2017, 07:30 PM   #23

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
I replaced my ETI tanks with a pair from ..... where else? .... Costco. For about $24.00 US you can buy a tank with a meter. Its not a pressure meter but one with a float inside the tank for better accuracy.... of course the tank is empty but purged. Not all propane stores can 'purge' a new tank. They are still new to me but so far so good. My old tanks are now 'extras' for my BBQ at home.

Tom

I have these as well. They are great!
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 09:03 PM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Although I'm not that familiar with propane tank tech, I think that all propane tanks have a float in them; it has something to do with a safety check valve. Recently some tank makers have started connecting this float to a gauge. That would explain why the gauge really isn't that accurate-- when it initially says "empty" the tank isn't empty yet. I'm sure more knowledgeable people can chime in here.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 09:19 PM   #25
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I'm following this same thing on Facebook on some all-molded-towable groups. Someone just posted when their Marshall gauge says empty... they've got about a half-tank left. Yeah... accurate I kinda like the idea of a "manual" switch over... at least you know there's enough propane left to finish cooking the steak.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 09:29 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
I beg to differ.

Per Mike: "She don't lie, she don't lie, she don't lie,
Propane."
That's right!
Old 06-03-2017, 10:15 PM   #27

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Although I'm not that familiar with propane tank tech, I think that all propane tanks have a float in them; it has something to do with a safety check valve.
Not a check valve, but yes... the float runs the OPD, or Overfilling Prevention Device. They're only in smaller portable tanks, but that includes 20-pound and 30-pound sizes.

Quote:
Recently some tank makers have started connecting this float to a gauge.
It has been a few years now, but that's what both Manchester and Worthington (the two big propane cylinder manufacturers in North America) do. Most of the other brands seem to be manufactured by Worthington.

Quote:
That would explain why the gauge really isn't that accurate-- when it initially says "empty" the tank isn't empty yet.
I haven't calibrated one for accuracy, but the 20-pound Manchester SureFlame that I have isn't bad; it certainly doesn't indicate empty when half-full. Due to the proportions of the cylinder, the 30-pound version (which is rare) likely does indicate empty when there is significant content left.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 10:53 PM   #28

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
What is a refill?
Jim, next time you order a trailer from Escape (maybe next April 1 if not sooner?) ask Reace about the refillable propane tank option. It is not listed on the options list, but most Escape buyers ask for it.

It was nice chatting with you at the rally last weekend!
KirkB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 11:24 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I haven't calibrated one for accuracy, but the 20-pound Manchester SureFlame that I have isn't bad; it certainly doesn't indicate empty when half-full. Due to the proportions of the cylinder, the 30-pound version (which is rare) likely does indicate empty when there is significant content left.
I knew Brian would come through. Thanks.

The 20-lb tanks I have are by Worthington. The first time the gauge on one pegged at "empty" I took it to be refilled. It still had a gallon of propane in it, out of its 4.5 gallon capacity. And no, I can't tell if a tank has residual propane in it by picking it up. I just can't-- I've been fooled several times and I give up.

So now I let the automatic valve switch over to the other tank and let it drain until its gauge starts to go down. Then I know the first one is empty.
Old 06-04-2017, 12:04 AM   #30

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Mmmm I feel like people are putting words in my mouth that I did not say.

Here is how I like to run my propane. I like these gauges as I feel they are more better accurate than the strictly pressure type gauges.... but either type would be better than none. I also like to run my tanks to empty unless I'm camping in extreme cold temps. ... even if the guage said empty I'd keep running on that tank until my appliance shut down and then switch over. When I go to the trouble of finding a propane retailer, I want him to stuff every BTU possible into my tank. I do have a manual switch over to get the other tank on line. Should the propane run out while cooking my steak ... it would probably be OK as I like my steaks with a little 'Moo' still left in them.

Dave to each his own ... I did not buy the automatic propane switch cause I didn't want it to switch to the other tank without me being aware. I store my trailer a 1000 miles away from where I live .... so in my absence I can easily forget which tank I'm using and how full either is. I like having these gauges. If I was taking off for a trip, I wouldn't care if the guage says 1/2 - empty .... I'd go get both filled. These gauges are a helpful reminder and the Costco price is a good price.

Tom
Old 06-04-2017, 12:07 AM   #31

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I have a luggage scale that I use to weigh my propane tanks. Subtract the tare weight from gauge weight and you have the weight of propane that is left in the tank.
Old 06-04-2017, 12:10 AM   #32

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
The best gauge I use is a cheap luggage scale. However, you need to remove the tank from the rack to weigh it. Once its off, you might just as well get it filled if it is low.

I think the only other way to really know if your tank is completely empty is if the secondary tank is shut off, and wait for the fridge, furnace, and stove to stop working.

I would rather fill a near empty tank, rather than not having any propane at all. Especially if I am only paying for the propane going into the tank, rather than a flat rate as most places in Canada seem to charge. I usually use near-empty trailer tanks on my home BBQ until they are empty, then fill them for the next camping trip.
KirkB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 12:19 AM   #33

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Ditto for the luggage scale. It really doesn't take long to remove tanks and check them. I get my 20 lb tanks refilled at Abbotsford Costco for under $11 each and they do partial fills as well.
Bob K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 01:01 AM   #34
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
I get my 20 lb tanks refilled at Abbotsford Costco...
That's astonishing to a Texan. The Costco stores around here don't sell propane. Never even heard of it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 06-04-2017, 01:57 AM   #35

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Propane Tanks. Full? Empty? Or somewhere in between?

It's the only one I know of and that alone makes membership worthwhile for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 07:15 AM   #36

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkB View Post
Jim, next time you order a trailer from Escape (maybe next April 1 if not sooner?) ask Reace about the refillable propane tank option. It is not listed on the options list, but most Escape buyers ask for it.

It was nice chatting with you at the rally last weekend!
Same here Kirk...Thanks
Old 06-04-2017, 10:30 AM   #37

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Quote:
I like having these gauges. If I was taking off for a trip, I wouldn't care if the guage says 1/2 - empty .... I'd go get both filled. These gauges are a helpful reminder and the Costco price is a good price.

Tom

I'm with Tom on this. The gauges don't have to be exactly right to be worthwhile. When the gauges says it's getting on toward empty, I get it filled. When I do, it may have a gallon left but it still needs 3.5 gallons. Before I had these tanks, I used an inline pressure gauge. That was worthless! I'd often think a tank was nearly empty, when it was actually 3/4 full. I was a bomber noobee traveling in very cold weather. Pressure gauges are even worse when it's cold.

I think these float gauges are excellent.

Rich
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 02:02 PM   #38

Quote:
I like these gauges as I feel they are more better accurate than the strictly pressure type gauges.... but either type would be better than none.
The float-based level gauges are certainly better than the pressure gauges - the pressure gauge only tells you that you've run out, since when the propane is not actively flowing they show exactly the same reading (depending only on temperature) regardless of level if there is any liquid in the tank at all.
Old 06-04-2017, 02:05 PM   #39

Quote:
The first time the gauge on one pegged at "empty" I took it to be refilled. It still had a gallon of propane in it, out of its 4.5 gallon capacity. And no, I can't tell if a tank has residual propane in it by picking it up. I just can't-- I've been fooled several times and I give up.
I find it really hard to judge by weight. The solution, of course, is baglo's luggage scale, but lacking that another technique is to shake it - it's much easier to feel and even hear the sloshing liquid than to judge whether the tank weighs 22 pounds or only 18.
Old 06-04-2017, 02:21 PM   #40

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
While there are all kinds of ways to determine how much propane is left in the tank, and some far more difficult to do than probably worth bothering, I've found that the times you want to be accurate is either when you are required to purchase a minimum # of gallons, or are charged by the tank whether they put in 4.7 gallons or just 1. In those cases I use a luggage scale, or wait until the auto change over has done its thing to be sure the tank is empty. .