Propane Tanks. Full? Empty? Or somewhere in between? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2017, 02:31 PM   #41

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
That's astonishing to a Texan. The Costco stores around here don't sell propane. Never even heard of it.
It looks like the situation in Vancouver area and Edmonton is similar - most Costco locations don't have propane, but where they do, they're the place to go.

There are lots of local variations even within international chains. Another example: U-Haul has propane at many locations, but I've never seen it, and I don't think they have it anywhere in Canada.

While reading a post in another forum I noticed that someone responded to a question about the availability of propane with a comment something like "all the gas stations have it". Certainly not here!
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 07:16 PM   #42

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
I just ordered 2 of the tanks with the internal float type gage from Menards. They were $50 plus tax for two of them with free shipping to store for pickup. By far best price I could find.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 07:21 PM   #43

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
How does one know if the gauge is a float style of pressure- here is Sam's Club example
Attached Images

Old 06-06-2017, 08:10 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
How does one know if the gauge is a float style of pressure- here is Sam's Club example
I am pretty sure Sam's is pressure. The Menards shows picture of tank with cutaway showing float mechanism. Also calls out in description. A lot are just pressure gage.

https://www.menards.com/main/heating...4447741181.htm
Attached Thumbnails
SPT_20Gauged_Front_White_HR.jpg  

Zig Ziglar
Old 06-06-2017, 09:38 PM   #45

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
The Flame King tank is decribed on Amazon (in the questions) as being a liquid level measure, not a pressure measurement. I had CBR not put mine in service yet, so I cannot confirm.

Trying to think this through...

If the OPD uses a float mechanism, all they have to do is hook the float to a gauge. That seems straightforward, but I don't know how complex the engineering would be.
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 12:43 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I'm not sure I can readily explain how to tell, but that one is recognzably the Worthington design... which is connected to the float.

I've never seen a propane cylinder of any size with a built-in pressure gauge, labelled as pressure or "level".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReagentGrade View Post
The Flame King tank is decribed on Amazon (in the questions) as being a liquid level measure, not a pressure measurement. I had CBR not put mine in service yet, so I cannot confirm.
Someone else linked to a Flame King tank, and it appeared to be the Worthington tank as well. Flame King doesn't actually make this kind of stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReagentGrade View Post
Trying to think this through...

If the OPD uses a float mechanism, all they have to do is hook the float to a gauge. That seems straightforward, but I don't know how complex the engineering would be.
The challenge is the seal. Manchester addresses that by having the float move a magnet inside the valve body, which moves a gauge pointer with another magnet - this works right through the uninterrupted valve body because it is brass.

The Manchester SureFlame gauge is even removable; it just clips on. That's handy if you ever break one, because it can be replaced for a few dollars without getting a new tank or doing anything to the original one. The Worthington gauge is clamped on and held with a screw or bolt; since I don't one one I haven't taken one apart to see if it comes off... they don't like you doing that sort of thing in stores.
Old 07-23-2017, 02:43 PM   #47

I finally got both of my Worthington tanks with gages. I got them filled and installed today. Menards lost one at the store and they had to reorder. So far so good. I got them at Menards shipped to the store free. The price has since gone up to $30.

https://www.menards.com/main/heating...4447741181.htm

You may also note the propane "T" for hooking up grills and such, in lieu of the quick connect system.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20170723_150835588.jpg   IMG_20170723_150845254_HDR.jpg   IMG_20170723_150854839_HDR.jpg  

Zig Ziglar
Old 07-23-2017, 02:53 PM   #48

Trailer: None now
The gauges are easy to see when you lift the lid?
That is the one thing I do not like about the Escape setup.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 03:11 PM   #49

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Propane tanks with gauge

Our local Costco has the same or very similar for under $30. I bought two. I didn't see the same on the Costco website.
Be sure to check manufacture date to make sure you're getting your full number of years, whatever that is now 10--12??

Gauges can be seen through the little cover.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 03:41 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
Our local Costco has the same or very similar for under $30. I bought two. I didn't see the same on the Costco website.
Be sure to check manufacture date to make sure you're getting your full number of years, whatever that is now 10--12??

Gauges can be seen through the little cover.

Yes like this...

Be careful that you get the ones with a mechanical float. Some out there are just a pressure gage and are pretty useless.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20170723_160433583_HDR (1).jpg  

Zig Ziglar
Old 07-23-2017, 04:17 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
You may also note the propane "T" for hooking up grills and such, in lieu of the quick connect system.
That's an unusual tee - they used a four-way tee and plugged off the extra port, instead of using a normal three-way, presumably to get the outputs in the desired orientations. If you want, and assuming it's just an open branch with 1/4MPT plug, you could add another outlet (appliance type like the one on the top, or QCC/POL like the one to the regulator) to that port for another appliance (grill plus stove?). There are 45 degree street elbows if you want to tilt any of the outputs in a more convenient direction.