Propane Usage and Costs - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-28-2016, 08:27 AM   #1

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
Propane Usage and Costs

I had our 2 propane tanks filled today. This was the first time, as we just picked up our trailer from Escape on June 24. I was a little surprised by the cost, but we did use it a lot. I figure that someone may the information helpful or at least hopefully a tiny bit insightful. If not, oh well. Here are the fuzzy statistics:

Days/nights used: 18
Propane used for: Fridge exclusively, turned on for showers (4 people/let's say 3 showers per day), and an Outland fire pit (estimating 6 hours of usage)
Propane used: 8.6 gallons
Cost per gallon: $5.56 (Got the propane filled at a local building supply company)
Total cost including taxes: $50.71
Cost per day/night: $2.82

I don't know how much the individual units use, but I suspect that the fire pit might consume a fair amount of propane. However, most campgrounds and state parks in the northeast will not allow firewood to be brought into the campgrounds due to bugs, so if we wanted s'mores or to roast some veggie-dogs, we'd have to pay up to $9.00 for 5 or 6 kiln-dried pieces of wood. So that cost is saved.

Anyway, that's the information. I don't understand how cpaharley does it, not using 2 propane tanks worth in 2 years...
nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:35 AM   #2

Trailer: 2001 coachmen
5.56 a gallon? That's where your problem is!
reetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:41 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
If you watch for sales, you should be able to save on that. I recently paid $7.99 for a refill purchased through Groupon. Also, Camping World has a discounted price with an additional discount on one day per week. You'd have to check to see which day it is. I've only used our propane fire pit a few times, but found that a "small fire" is sufficient for the ambiance.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:43 AM   #4

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
A bargain! Less than a dry cappuccino at Peets.....and I always add a sweet bite to the order also.........

Cheers, and thanks for posting!

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstock11 View Post
If you watch for sales, you should be able to save on that. I recently paid $7.99 for a refill purchased through Groupon. Also, Camping World has a discounted price with an additional discount on one day per week. You'd have to check to see which day it is. I've only used our propane fire pit a few times, but found that a "small fire" is sufficient for the ambiance.
Unfortunately, the nearest camping world to us is about 80 miles away. But I never thought of looking for discounts on it. Or it could be that the going rate is high in our area? Behooves me call around next time.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:54 AM   #6

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
What did you eat? You didn't use a barbecue
Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:57 AM   #7

Uhaul Brunswick ME 2.99 gal
Old 07-28-2016, 09:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
What did you eat? You didn't use a barbecue
Unfortunately, our barbecue (O'Grill) does not have the quick connect and we decided not to haul the small green propane tanks and the barbecue when we could roast hot dogs over the fire pit. And for the burgers, my wife used the stove and a cast iron skillet on the stove. All I can say is yum!
Old 07-28-2016, 09:02 AM   #9

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Quote:
I believe its on Wednesday, could be wrong, but definitely middle of week.
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:03 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by reetired View Post
Uhaul Brunswick ME 2.99 gal
You know, sometimes the internet is a very unhelpful thing! Now I have to try and come up with a genius answer for being so stupid!!

But seriously, thank you!!
Old 07-28-2016, 09:40 AM   #11

Not knowing isn't stupid, knowing and not taking advantage.....now you know!
Kind of like buying non ethanol gas up at the lake...$6 a gal...buying it in town is 2 something!

Betcha now when you're driving you'll automatically spot propane refill stations...without realizing it! Have a great day!
Old 07-28-2016, 09:53 AM   #12

Quote:
Not knowing isn't stupid, knowing and not taking advantage.....now you know!
Kind of like buying non ethanol gas up at the lake...$6 a gal...buying it in town is 2 something!

Betcha now when you're driving you'll automatically spot propane refill stations...without realizing it! Have a great day!
So true! I tend to know where the cheapest gas stations are in the area. Just had no idea that propane could fluctuate that much. But hey, I know now.

I still think for as much as it was used, and the joy it brought (who wants a warm soda, droopy cheese or smoke in their eyes anyway?), it was worth it, even at the higher price. (there is the genius answer to my stupidity!)
Old 07-28-2016, 09:59 AM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Plus, you're in Maine, The Vacation State.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:02 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Plus, you're in Maine, The Vacation State.
If you say so... I prefer to vacation elsewhere.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:33 AM   #15

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
Here in Canada, I've been refilling my tanks at Costco, cheapest price for propane that I have found. 8 bucks Canadian for a refill of a 20 lb tank.
Buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:49 AM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
I've only used our propane fire pit a few times, but found that a "small fire" is sufficient for the ambiance.
Yup, I consider the fire pit a gas hog. I use it on low and throw a few twigs on it. Best of both worlds, low gas use and more ambiance of a "real" fire.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
P2220275_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 11:27 AM   #17

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Damn, that was some big gas hog at Quartzsite this year!
Attached Thumbnails
Qz160.jpg  
Old 07-28-2016, 12:35 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'm stingy with propane, water heater on for an hour twice a day. I have an electric heater built in which I use with hook ups which is about 75% of the time, most cooking outside, I do go through maybe 3-4 little propane bottles in a year and I've switched now to charcoal. Refrigerator is on 120v while sitting and on propane while under tow. I may try battery with the new 160 watt solar so my propane should last me awhile longer, at least till the next new and improved Escape comes out.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:52 PM   #19

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
propane

We ordered the 2 way h2o heater. Most of our camping so far has been in the SE most State And National parks have elec ? Our trailer before this was a Snoozy all electric . I don't know if I will be using that much propane ? We dont need heating most of the time h2o is heated elec and 2 burner we cook outside Maybe we will get a reg perculator coffeemaker and use the burners ? Is the extra propane hose worth the expense? Jim
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 12:56 PM   #20

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanj04011 View Post
Cost per gallon: $5.56 (Got the propane filled at a local building supply company)
Quote:
5.56 a gallon? That's where your problem is!
I agree - although the price of propane can vary greatly with time and by location, that sounds really high. That's CA$1.93 per litre, or more than twice as expensive as I've ever seen it bulk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
Here in Canada, I've been refilling my tanks at Costco, cheapest price for propane that I have found. 8 bucks Canadian for a refill of a 20 lb tank.
While Costco is clearly the least expensive propane source for portable tank filling here, there is only one Costco in the Edmonton area with a propane station, so it's not a conveniently available source.

Even the more common price at any random gas station of CA$16 for a 20-pound tank (regardless of the amount of propane needed to fill it) would be much cheaper than US$5.56 per gallon.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote