Originally Posted by Vermilye
Advantages of removable:
1. One less access point for bugs & rodents.
2. It won't ever get stuck wrapped around something in the storage area.
3. Additional space available in the storage area - I added an inverter, a surge protector, and a water filter in the space.
Advantage of fixed:
1. You only need to pull out as much as you need.
2. You probably won't forget & leave it behind.
3. Slightly less chance of it being stolen.
I agree with Jon on all points, but will add another disadvantage I found with a fixed cord is that when used in very cold weather, the plastic spring tabs that hold against the cord don't flex very well, and will break off.
I bought a retrofit kit from Tammy, and just did not have time to do the mod before storing this winter, but will be first thing once we bring our 19 home for the summer.
I am really not too worried about leaving it behind, no more then all the hoses and other camping gear. I also do not worry about theft too much, it would be not much use to anyone else, unless theirs was missing too.
If you were to use the fixed system, I would recommend building a bit of a wall to keep it separated from the storage contents. We often had to dig in under the bed to untangle things.
2017 Escape 5.0 TA (someday soon, I hope
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln