Quartzsite RV Show - gonna do it! Tips? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2016, 09:44 AM   #21

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Questions:

Jon, I thought there wasn’t any internet/WiFi accessibility outside Quartzsite at Dome Rock. Are you posting from there or from in town at the McDonalds? If from on site is that through your I-phone or some other magical appliance I should get? (I don’t even own a flip-phone.) I would love to access the internet when there. I realize this subject has been extensively covered elsewhere but my eyes glass over with the tech-savvy stuff. Please indulge me, because I have a failing memory, short attention span, am also cheap - unwilling to spend three hundred-plus bucks on rarely used equipment or contribute indefinitely to a phone services’ annuity. I would like to hope this doesn't make me WiFi ineligible.

Ron, if I go to Paradise it will be either a day trip without the trailer, or, towing down to that big gulf of water south for a day or two but likely not across to the ocean, and nothing is decided until I get a marital OK. Here’s the pre-border crossing bring-plan: 1.) passports, 2.) proof of vehicular ownership and insurance, registered in the US, 3.) Updated dog vaccination documents, 4.) proof of legally acquired prescription medications, 5.) Lots of ready cash, bottled water, but no vegetables, no fruit, no meats, no weapons.

Am I missing anything?
Old 12-30-2016, 10:11 AM   #22

Trailer: 2012 17B
US insurance is not valid in Mexico. You need to get Mexican insurance.
Sally P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 10:30 AM   #23

Trailer: 2016 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by madjack View Post
...thanks Ron, Q'site is still a bucket list thing with me...it is still nice to know these things for a bit of vicarious living...................
Outside the LTVA'S, there is the RV Pit Stop on Hwy 95. Local water is $.05 gallon or Reverse Osmosis Water (no salts) is $1.00 for 5 gallons.
Dump fees depend on the size of your rig, I think. Last time I was there, they filled my 20# propane tank and a dump for $20.
There is a local trash transfer station on the north side of town (on 95) for free disposal of trash - wed-sun open till 2:30.
Quote:
Originally Posted by currinh View Post
Once upon a time we camped through the Black Rock Desert a week or so after Burning Man. All the people were gone and everything cleaned up, but the vibes were overwhelming. It was suffocating enough we'll never go to Burning Man, as if we had thoughts along this line before. But quite the experience, all that left over energy.

We stayed at Quartzite in late March and April. Same thing, very few people but the energy left over was suffocating. We stayed at one of the LTVA sites south of town. There were many archaeological artifacts to be discovered. Sites marked off with rock boarders and other human leavings. We also stayed at Dome Rock and Plomosa. Both were empty after March, a very good time to go. The only problem is missing the rally.

I suspect that January, when the RV Show is, is the most crowded time to go. We'll avoid this as we do Burning Man. But send a report.

Thanks.

Anne H
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 11:24 AM   #24

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Questions:

Jon, I thought there wasn’t any internet/WiFi accessibility outside Quartzsite at Dome Rock. Are you posting from there or from in town at the McDonalds? If from on site is that through your I-phone or some other magical appliance I should get? (I don’t even own a flip-phone.) I would love to access the internet when there. I realize this subject has been extensively covered elsewhere but my eyes glass over with the tech-savvy stuff. Please indulge me, because I have a failing memory, short attention span, am also cheap - unwilling to spend three hundred-plus bucks on rarely used equipment or contribute indefinitely to a phone services’ annuity. I would like to hope this doesn't make me WiFi ineligible.

Ron, if I go to Paradise it will be either a day trip without the trailer, or, towing down to that big gulf of water south for a day or two but likely not across to the ocean, and nothing is decided until I get a marital OK. Here’s the pre-border crossing bring-plan: 1.) passports, 2.) proof of vehicular ownership and insurance, registered in the US, 3.) Updated dog vaccination documents, 4.) proof of legally acquired prescription medications, 5.) Lots of ready cash, bottled water, but no vegetables, no fruit, no meats, no weapons.

Am I missing anything?
I am currently in La Posa West, which is about 3/4 of a mile from a pair of cell towers. I have strong Verizon 4G LTE & just a little weaker LTE AT&T signal. Both systems are fast, at least now when the population is limited. I did notice a slow down during the Big Tent show last year.

I use an iPhone for voice & data over the AT&T network, but cannot tether it to my laptop because I have an unlimited data plan for $40.00 per month that I would have to give up to connect the phone to my computer. It works fine at Dome Rock.

I carry a Verizon Jetpack (An AC791L) that I use to provide a connection for my laptop, as well as a local WiFi for any of my WiFi enabled devices that works fine here as well as at Dome Rock. I also have an amplifier for the Jetpack that I use when I have a weak signal, but don't need it in Quartzsite.

One more "toy" I've added is a WiFi Ranger Mini WiFi booster. If I use a campground WiFi (or McDonalds, etc) I can redistribute the campground WiFi over my own network so that I don't have to connect each device to the original network. It is also a more powerful WiFi radio, so I can usually sit in the parking lot to work at McDonalds, rather than go inside, and pick up campground WiFi's in places where you would normally have to go to the office.

The WiFi Ranger Mini shows a number of WiFi signals here at La Posa West, however most of them are password protected. I didn't try connecting over any of the open ones.
Old 12-30-2016, 12:06 PM   #25

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggo View Post
Ron, you're a hearty soul! I read a couple days ago the Federales have been pulled off tourist patrols for something else. Tourists are on their own.

Think I'll hang around where I at least can shoot back!
Nothing new for us. We've always considered ourselves to be on our own when traveling. Guess it started when I was a teenager wandering the backstreets of Shanghai when it was still behind the "Bamboo Curtain". I had a few rocks thrown my way because I was mistaken for an American. Memo to self; don't wear a belt with a large cowboy buckle when traveling.

We don't disregard warnings and poor situations but we're pretty careful and nothing we saw or experienced on our first trip to Baja is cause for any increased concern.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 12:14 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Questions:

Am I missing anything?
5. No need for lots of ready cash. ATM's are readily available.

Not sure about your requirement to get insurance for a quick jump across and back. Probably still required.

Otherwise, yup, it's an international border and most of those things apply not only to Mexico but other countries.

Ron
Old 12-30-2016, 12:16 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally P View Post
US insurance is not valid in Mexico. You need to get Mexican insurance.
True and it's reasonable and you can get the same level of coverages that you currently have.

For us, we can get a refund on our BC insurance for the time we're in Mexico and not using our local insurance.

Ron
Old 12-30-2016, 12:28 PM   #28

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
True and it's reasonable and you can get the same level of coverages that you currently have.

For us, we can get a refund on our BC insurance for the time we're in Mexico and not using our local insurance.

Ron
That is interesting that you get credited for not using your regular insurance. I wonder if private companies will do the same.

We have every intent on taking our trailer into Mexico, definitely spend some time on The Baja, and possibly further south. As mentioned before, we have a bunch of friends that have regularly stayed in Mexico for a few months a year, and one couple who are close friends, plan to take an RV down sometime instead of the rental thing they usually do. They drive down lots, and say all they would do is ensure they hit a major highway from the border down, and do a full days driving south, and that will get them past almost any area that has even the slightest potential for trouble. I trust them, as they are still alive and well, and willing to go back again.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 12:32 PM   #29

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post

Not sure about your requirement to get insurance for a quick jump across and back. Probably still required.

Ron
Definitely required- if you don't and are involved in an accident you can be arrested. Very different down there; basically guilty until proven innocent.

U.S. Car Insurance to Travel to Mexico | USA Today
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 07:19 PM   #30

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I am currently in La Posa West, which is about 3/4 of a mile from a pair of cell towers. I have strong Verizon 4G LTE & just a little weaker LTE AT&T signal. Both systems are fast, at least now when the population is limited. I did notice a slow down during the Big Tent show.
Jon,

Think I'll head over to LA Posa West on the 19th. I'd guess things get a little congested near and during show time. Think there will be decent sites within a mile or so of 95? I'm hoping to leave the truck parked and bike into the action.

Maybe run into you out there.

Greg
Old 12-31-2016, 12:10 PM   #31

Trailer: 2011 Escape 19
The Pit Stop in town is very reasonable and has water, propane and dump. Hope to see you in the future.
sandypass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 12:17 PM   #32

Trailer: 2011 Escape 19
Passport not required. I am not sure who all are coming, but I know Gary and Marlene and Ed Harris for sure. See you there.
sandypass is offline   Reply With Quote