Question on 49" bed in 17b for those of you who have king beds at home - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2014, 04:23 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Question on 49" bed in 17b for those of you who have king beds at home

My husband and I are thinking the 17b will be perfect for our needs except for 1 thing and that is the bed size. Is it really only 49" wide? That is smaller than a double bed! I'm not worried about a weekend trip but what about when we travel for a couple of weeks at a time? Should we expect one of us (hmm, which do you think it will be?) to sleep on the front bed?
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:32 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
You could go with the 19' with the permanent queen bed or the 5.0TA. Either that or just enjoy cuddling a bit more than usual.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:38 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
You could use a bed extension which sticks out from the bed, as some have done. I do not know if ETI is making those. Then you sleep with heads at the back of the trailer and feet on the extension in the "hall." If your tow vehicle cannot handle a 19'.

Of course, yes, the front bed could be used.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:41 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
My husband and I are thinking the 17b will be perfect for our needs except for 1 thing and that is the bed size. Is it really only 49" wide? That is smaller than a double bed! I'm not worried about a weekend trip but what about when we travel for a couple of weeks at a time? Should we expect one of us (hmm, which do you think it will be?) to sleep on the front bed?
Jill,

We have a 17b on order, and one of our concerns was the bed width. One of the other members (don't recall which one) had the idea of adding a removable extension that goes in the aisle between the kitchen and fridge. You would sleep with your head at the end of the trailer instead of on one side, and your feet would rest in the extension. The idea being that feet don't need as much room as your head and shoulders.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:05 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
A word of caution -- I am only 5'8" and Lindy is only 5'. But we have not had a problem with the bed in the 17b, except for last spring when we spent more time than usual in the trailer due to some rain and bugs. Then we found that we didn't have quite enough "lounging" space. That was on a 5 week trip. The bed wasn't a problem on the two other longish trips we have taken.
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:12 PM   #6

Thank you - lots of great input here! I searched the forum and found the thread on the bed extension - sounds like they are very happy with that and it will be a good option if we buy new. Since we are new to trailering we have decided to limit ourselves to what we can tow with our current vehicle (max 3500 lbs) so we are considering the 17b or 15b. We would really prefer the extra space in the 17b if we can make it work. The only reason we would go with the 15b is for the bigger bed.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:16 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
That is a difficult choice between 15' and 17'. Many folks do not want to set up the bed every day which I guess is required with the 15'. Others do not think it is much trouble.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:17 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
Thank you - lots of great input here! I searched the forum and found the thread on the bed extension - sounds like they are very happy with that and it will be a good option if we buy new. Since we are new to trailering we have decided to limit ourselves to what we can tow with our current vehicle (max 3500 lbs) so we are considering the 17b or 15b. We would really prefer the extra space in the 17b if we can make it work. The only reason we would go with the 15b is for the bigger bed.
I think the 15b is a very efficient layout. But, we plan to keep the bed made up most of the time and just use the small dinette for eating, and I think we'd miss that. Also, if we get cooped up for awhile due to bad weather, I think that extra 2 feet will come in handy.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:50 PM   #9

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
I'm the one that had the extension made up--we did use it for a couple years and it has been in the attic for the last couple..
We until last trip--had the rear bed up the whole time as a bed with 3 inch foam and sheets and blankets...Always used the front table as a table.
This last trip with the best view out the back--we decided to use the big rear table (was a cold rainy weekend and spent a lot of time indoors) and we just bought a travasak to make bed making super easy--a comforter will go on the cushions before the travasak to make it softer---Fold things up in the morning and store them under the passenger seat--(with the foam it was very difficult to get under there without messing the bed up) I actually think this will take less time than "properly" making the bed every morning.

We will use the small table up front as a daybed/couch--the pillows will be on either end as well as a couple decorative cushions...

If the view is the best out front we'll use the table there--this way we have an option.

Neither Doug or myself are very tall,but, I am not small and we fit on there quite easily--the "squareness" of the bed area makes it seems larger than our Boler which had the really rounded corners..

Our tow vehicle is also 3500 lbs and does the job quite fine--have been to the Rockies and to Yellowstone and Yosemite all with high elevations...(and I do generally have the trailer "loaded" although I have this summer taken out a few things...) we weighed this summer before the purging and loaded for a two week trip and all was legal and official...
Old 08-25-2014, 06:39 PM   #10

Thank you Anna-Marie, that is especially good input. I like your idea about using the front bed as a couch. In particular, it sounds like it doesn't make sense to get the 15 if the only reason is +5" of bed width. Sounds to me like it's best to just "make it work". We don't plan to go out for more than 2 weeks at a time. And if that changes, maybe it's time for a bigger trailer (and new tow vehicle)!
Old 08-25-2014, 06:42 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Jill - while we only have a double at home, the 17B bed has been fine for us. We leave it always made up as a bed and the front dinette give us a place to sit for meals and reading, etc.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:08 PM   #12
Site Team

Thanks Anna-Marie! Your input is very valuable to the wife and I as we plan our 17.
Old 08-26-2014, 01:22 AM   #13

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
I'll have more to say by the end of September as we'll be off for 2 weeks straight in the trailer..

Frankly I never thought I would go for the taking the bed down every day--but I really like that big table and those windows back there..

Just being able to literally throw the travasak on there makes it so much easier..

Amazing what you come up with being out for a few really rainy trips...
Old 08-26-2014, 01:49 AM   #14

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
We went through a period of converting the double bed to table. Could well do it again, but we reverted to leaving it as a bed. We were rolling up the bedding and storing it on the front bunk which is a messy solution that takes away space.
On the other hand, that four person dinette area was much more comfortable.
My main point is that we didn't commit ourselves to a permanent double bed. We have the option of setting up the double table or not.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:14 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
We went through a period of converting the double bed to table. Could well do it again, but we reverted to leaving it as a bed. We were rolling up the bedding and storing it on the front bunk which is a messy solution that takes away space.
On the other hand, that four person dinette area was much more comfortable.
My main point is that we didn't commit ourselves to a permanent double bed. We have the option of setting up the double table or not.
I agree. We went back and forth with the permanent bed option, but ultimately went with being able to change it on the fly.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:30 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape 17B, 2012
We are both under 5"6", and shrinking, so the bed in our 17B is pretty okay on long trips. I do get "reminded" to scoot over closer to the wall! We both slept well on our 4 week trip.
We have a 2" memory foam pad under the bedding which helps a bunch. But as Anna-Marie said if we didn't have the pad it would only take a few minutes to set up the big dinette. So far the little dinette works for when we can't eat outside.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:19 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape 17B, April 2014
We are 6'2" and 5'8", though not all that wide, and sleep in a queen sized water bed at home. The bed in our 17B, with 3" memory foam on top, is comfy and cozy, and we sleep well in it. We are "snugglers", and the length for my husband's feet to fit in is really the most vital part.
KLRchickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:13 AM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
While I have no problem fitting the 49" bed since I travel solo, i have managed to fit 3 people at the front dinette using a folding chair. A bit tight, but since I have made the rear bed permanent, not much choice when eating inside.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:00 AM   #19

Trailer: none
I preface this by saying that our last two trailers (19' Scamp and now 5.0 Escape Classic) have had queen sized beds. We sleep on a king at home.
But what is true about the beds in our trailers is that you actually get to use more of the 'acreage' in the trailer bed because the very edge of the bed is more usable than at home where you could roll out! You can sleep practically hanging off the very edge of the bed with no fear of plunging to the floor! Especially if one side of the bed is against a wall you can actually sleep lying against the wall...kind of comfy at times especially if you are a 'side' sleeper. In our experience, the size of the trailer bed is not really directly comparable t the same sized bed at home...the trailer bed seems a little larger for the same dimensions. Best bet is to try out the bed size in the camper and see how it feels. Just our two cents.
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:00 AM   #20

Wink

Good point about the bed being up against the wall - I was wondering about that! And I get overheated at night. Might be good to have a cool wall against me.

I just looked at the production schedule. Next available dates are 9 months away! If we're going to buy new, it's time to get this baby started