Questions about 5.0 TA - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-29-2017, 09:27 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
Questions about 5.0 TA

Does the 5.0 TA have more storage than the 21, or is it about the same? Also with the bed hanging out there in the front up high like it is, does it tend to get cold in there? In my 21 the 2 6v battery’s are under the back p/s of the u-shape dinette, if you op out of the u-shape and get the regular dinette where are the battery’s located? Also how high is it in the bed area from thr floor to ceiling? Wow lots of questions. My wife and i have never been inside of the 5.0 TA, but have toured an older 5.0 that I believe was based on the 17. Will appreciate any input, thanks.
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:36 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake930 View Post
Does the 5.0 TA have more storage than the 21, or is it about the same? Also with the bed hanging out there in the front up high like it is, does it tend to get cold in there? In my 21 the 2 6v battery’s are under the back p/s of the u-shape dinette, if you op out of the u-shape and get the regular dinette where are the battery’s located? Also how high is it in the bed area from thr floor to ceiling? Wow lots of questions. My wife and i have never been inside of the 5.0 TA, but have toured an older 5.0 that I believe was based on the 17. Will appreciate any input, thanks.
Hi: Jake930... No chills in the loft. I believe Escape puts insulation under the sub floor and the mattress is on top of the carpet.
The vented battery box is in the rear passenger side compartment. We do have the "U" dinette which I believe gives more storage space but a smaller table. As to the height issue I don't have a measurement but I can sit up in bed. Reace added 5" to the roof height of the 5.0TA over the 5.0 and we have owned both. Here's a pic of my wife sitting on the bed in our former 5.0. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1020913.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 03:52 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I would venture to say that the 21 has more useable storage space with the under bed as well as from storage box. The 21 and 5.0 are similar from the door rearward so there they are similar.
Old 12-30-2017, 06:07 AM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
As far as heating the loft. We use a curtain to close off the loft when Deb gets up at 4am (old habit). Once the curtain is closed it starts to get pretty cold, before that it's fine. I do put the cube heater up on the stove with the fan pointed towards the loft.

We do find the bed is stone cold when we first climb in and it's cold outside. Takes a long time to warm up the foam topper. Going to try preheating it with an electric blanket this winter.

On storage, it kind of depends. If you consider all that's under the bed of the 21 usable, then when combined with the storage box it'd be bigger. With the fifth wheel you have a little more in overhead cabinets in the loft. Under the steps, which is a good size area and with easy access. And the closet on the side of the steps. Outside you have the front storage but it's a good deal smaller then the outside storage box option on the 21.

I think the biggest difference between the trailers is the TV. Open bedded truck vs whatever you tow the 21 with. When I had a regular trailer, like the 21, I could carry my bikes inside the truck cap and a canoe on the roof of it, not anymore.
Old 12-30-2017, 07:03 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
I would think the interior storage is a bit of a wash. The dinette and galley are the same, but it differs elsewhere. Exterior wise, there is a more hatch storage, but with the 5.0TA no front storage box if you wanted one. Basically, for us, the interior storage is more than enough for what we want in there. Storage for outside stuff is a lot more limited, especially as less can be stored in the bed of the truck due to the hitch than without one, whether a pickup or SUV. This is why I am building a rear cargo hatch, to house all the exterior gear without having to leave it exposed in the truck bed, or take up room in the cab (Jasper loves using the whole rear seat .

I have not yet camped in really cold weather with our 5.0TA, but did install a circulation fan inside to help distribute heat up there if needed. The fan has been handy already for real hot weather to cool things down a bit up there, nice for nap time.

As mentioned, the batteries are under the rear passenger dinette seat if a standard layout is chosen.

I am 6' 0" and the bed height is just fine for crawling in and sitting up, though as you near the nose the roof does slope down some for exterior looks and aerodynamics.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 07:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
As far as heating the loft. We use a curtain to close off the loft when Deb gets up at 4am (old habit). Once the curtain is closed it starts to get pretty cold, before that it's fine. I do put the cube heater up on the stove with the fan pointed towards the loft.
You guys are backwards. It is me that is the early riser while Lisa sleeps. I have the stuff required to install curtains in the loft if desired. Never thought about it closing off the heat, but by with a nice cozy warm bed, I bet Lisa would be fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
We do find the bed is stone cold when we first climb in and it's cold outside. Takes a long time to warm up the foam topper. Going to try preheating it with an electric blanket this winter.
I don't find any difference with how cold the bed is when hitting the sack over any other trailer we have had. A wee bit of jostling and snuggling, and it is warm in no time. You must be using a memory foam topper. Have you considered latex foam instead, as it does not firm up in the cold the same. It also breathes much better too and sleeps cooler in the heat. Right now we just use a convoluted foam (egg crate type) topper until the time we change out the entire mattress, which is a lot cheaper and still adds that surface layer of comfort.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-30-2017, 10:23 AM   #7

Hi: Jake930... Remember that as with the 21'er, all items stored forward of the axles adds to the pin weight/tongue wt. I believe the 5.0TA has a greater percentage ratio of pin wt. to total trailer wt. Alf
Old 12-30-2017, 01:00 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
You should contact Escape for a referral to look at one if you are serious about getting one. There are a number of 5.0TAs not too far. We are in S VT, Alf is not too far, Palidin is in W MA, etc.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 01:00 PM   #9

Thanks everyone for your input. We really like our 21, the reason I am considering the 5.0 TA is as some of you have mentioned, the wife and my sleep habits. I’m an early to bed and early to rise and she is just the opposite, Up all hours and sleeps in. So with the 5.0 I can go to bed and she can stay up and do her thing. When she decided on the 21 ( notice I said she) she said honey— I will adapt to your pattern. Well after a year and 16000 miles- that ain’t happening. So lots to think about.
Old 12-30-2017, 01:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian and Sue View Post
You should contact Escape for a referral to look at one if you are serious about getting one. There are a number of 5.0TAs not too far. We are in S VT, Alf is not too far, Palidin is in W MA, etc.
Yes, we will do that and really check them out, and compare to our 21. Maybe in the spring we can get together and check out your rig. Right now we are in Arizona till march 30th with our 21. We will be at the Spring Fling in May, maybe some of you will be there. Right now its just a thought. But you know what can happen if one does to much thinking about an Escape.
Old 12-30-2017, 01:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your input. We really like our 21, the reason I am considering the 5.0 TA is as some of you have mentioned, the wife and my sleep habits. I’m an early to bed and early to rise and she is just the opposite, Up all hours and sleeps in. So with the 5.0 I can go to bed and she can stay up and do her thing. When she decided on the 21 ( notice I said she) she said honey— I will adapt to your pattern. Well after a year and 16000 miles- that ain’t happening. So lots to think about.
Hi: Jake930... One thing I like about the 5.0TA is if I'm up in the night I can tuck in beside the fridge and read and the light under the upper cabinet doesn't shine up into the loft. Same said for the new reading lights in the loft don't shine down on me sitting at the dinette. Alf
Old 12-30-2017, 01:30 PM   #12

Quote:
This is one of the reason's the 19 was great, and now the 5.0TA too, as though we go to bed about the same time, I am always up a few hours earlier. To have that separation while the other sleeps is big for us.
Old 12-30-2017, 02:52 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Jake930... One thing I like about the 5.0TA is if I'm up in the night I can tuck in beside the fridge and read and the light under the upper cabinet doesn't shine up into the loft. Same said for the new reading lights in the loft don't shine down on me sitting at the dinette. Alf
I will concur with Alf. I’m not so much up in the middle of the night, but I am an early riser. When I wake up and am unable to fall back asleep, usually around 5:30, I will get up, make coffee, and also tuck in beside the refrigerator, where I can read or work on my laptop. It doesnt seem to bother “Sleeping Beauty.” I offered to install a curtain on the loft, and she nixed the idea as unnecessary. Unless it is a travel day, I am usually out and about before she decides it is time to rise. I typically don’t sleep more than 5 or 6 hours a night.