Questions specific to the 21 - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2015, 02:39 PM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I'm just messing with you Tom about your shoes, I cut another cubby hole in my cubbies just for 2 pair of slippers......
Hi: cpaharley2008... "If you shoe me yours...I'll show you mine". LoL Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1030923.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 03:00 PM   #22

Trailer: 2016 21' Classic
21' ?s

Does the 21' come with a shelf over the bed and two LED reading lights; in addition, is there a door to area underneath the bed as a standard or option? First of many ?s prior to completion of build sheet finalization. Thanks in advance for responses and your patience.
titanizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 03:17 PM   #23
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Yes on shelf (if no front window) and lights. Standard door under the bed is on the long side of the pedestal, aimed down the aisle.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 05:02 PM   #24

Trailer: 2016 21' Classic
Thanks Tractors1; that's exactly what I needed to know.
titanizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 05:12 PM   #25

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #3
I don't see one being nicer than the other Jim. Yours looks great to me. I didn't line mine with anything. What you see is the vinyl padding. All I did was put a floor in it to cover up the cut edges of the vinyl. Hope the vinyl holds up OK? I also ordered some edge molding, U-channel I think it's called. It should be here soon. I plan on applying it to all the new cutouts for the new cubbies.
Tom
TAfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 06:12 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Yes, I got some of that last year at Osoyoos from ETI to cover all the cubby edges.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:10 PM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
same here Mike, mentioned this to my eye doctor last month, sign of cataracts, which is very common to retirees and easily remedied.
Yeah, I figured I'd need cataract surgery sooner or later. My mom had to have it years ago, and like me she was blue-eyed and spent decades outside in the Florida sun.

But I understand that the FDA is about to approve a replacement lens that magnifies, like The Six Million Dollar Man. I'll hold out for one of those if I can. Then I can enjoy Pensacola Beach even more.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 08:28 PM   #28

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
They have been doing lens replacement (as for cataract treatment) for correcting vision for a few years now.

A lot of the far sightedness that comes with age comes about because the natural lens stiffens with age.

I'm guessing it's just a matter of a few more years before the artificial lenses they use for lens replacement are flexble enough that you will regain a lot of your youthful ability to focus closely, while at the same time getting your myopia corrected.

When that day comes, you'll find me in line at the opthamologists office...

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 08:32 PM   #29

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Thanks to all. TAFraser and Alf, the pictures really help. I thought the underbed area came already divided - apparently not. Still not sure which door I'll choose, but probably closer to the bathroom due to the added separation between the 2 doors.

I will ask about a standard light under the cabinet above the drawer stack - sounds better than a captains light for that purpose. The outlet beside the bathroom sounds like a good idea too. I don't plan to use a hair dryer (I will be camping right?) but it would be good to have that available just in case (long hair).

As always you all have great input. Especially as someone who has not had a trailer before, I really appreciate it!
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 08:02 AM   #30

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
I got 4 extra captain lights in my BlackJack Escape, 2 over bed is essential, one over night stand, one by the door for night time excursions and 2 at the rear "U" dinette. I you want to ever install a 120v electric heater under the bed by the bath, leave the door at the stock locale and have an extra 120v installed on the 45 degree angle. That way you can use a night light at night time there and later install a built in electric heater that keeps your bath warm and toasty. See post #66 here http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ck-3134-7.html
I saw Jim's trailer and really liked the added heater. I ordered the extra power outlet so I could add the heater. I was disappointed when I picked up to find the access door next to the bath where I was going to mount the heater. Ended up mounting on the 45 and liked that better anyway.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20150430_210723576.jpg   IMG_20150430_210807598.jpg  

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 12:57 PM   #31

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post

1. We hear that it's good to get a captains light over the drawer stack at the end of the bed. Where specifically should it go? You can rotate those right? Should it go under the cabinet on the bed end so we could point it towards the bed if we needed it there? Or on the opposite side so it's out of the way? We are asking for an additional (non opening) window over the drawer stack if that makes any difference. Oh and we have one of the old furnaces saved for us so I think we'll be getting the old (shorter) drawer stack as well.

I have no idea how we'll use either of these things but I hear they're good to have. Thank you in advance!
We added both a window and a standard overhead light ( not a rotating captains light ) over the stack. The light was a last minute (literally) decision made after we discovered that the stack was the only place in the trailer that was not illuminated brightly at night. It is roughly centered to the window and is easy to reach after we crawling into bed. If I could do it over I would add a 12 v dimmer switch (and may yet do so) since they are very bright. I do miss the ability to have just a faint glow in the trailer while getting ready for bed - to set the mood. Even better - wishful thinking now - a remote controlled dimmer switch...

--
Alan
Attached Thumbnails
bed corner window.jpg  
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 01:04 PM   #32

Why not a little lamp there with a 7 watt bulb, that is what I have and they can be found in 12v version with led bulbs if you want.....
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN1359.jpg  
Old 07-26-2015, 04:44 PM   #33
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
We added both a window and a standard overhead light ( not a rotating captains light ) over the stack. The light was a last minute (literally) decision made after we discovered that the stack was the only place in the trailer that was not illuminated brightly at night. It is roughly centered to the window and is easy to reach after we crawling into bed. If I could do it over I would add a 12 v dimmer switch (and may yet do so) since they are very bright. I do miss the ability to have just a faint glow in the trailer while getting ready for bed - to set the mood. Even better - wishful thinking now - a remote controlled dimmer switch...

--
Alan
Might try cutting out some parchment baking paper shaped to fit behind the lens to cut down the brightness. Cheap, wifey came up with that idea.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 05:53 PM   #34

Great ideas here. Easy decision now to put an outlet on the 45 and the cabinet door close to the bathroom with the hinges on the right. Oh, and a standard light centered under the upper cabinet for the drawer stack. I feel like I'm making good progress on the build sheet!

I was thinking the mirror should go on the outside of the bathroom door for ease of use and to visually enlarge the interior. Any concerns about doing that?
Old 07-26-2015, 06:32 PM   #35

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
I was thinking the mirror should go on the outside of the bathroom door for ease of use and to visually enlarge the interior. Any concerns about doing that?
When it comes to mirror placement, consider where the light will be coming from to illuminate the person facing the mirror. Mine is on the inside of the bath door and when the door is open, the person is lit by lamp in bath on one side and lamp next to trailer door on the other ( 17B )
Attached Thumbnails
mirror.jpg  
Old 07-26-2015, 06:42 PM   #36

The factory mirror is on the inside of the bath door but several of us have mounted full length lightweight plastic mirror on the exterior part of the bath door, to make the trailer appear larger and for personal use. Less than $10 at Lowes or HD.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:49 PM   #37

Quote:
The factory mirror is on the inside of the bath door but several of us have mounted full length lightweight plastic mirror on the exterior part of the bath door, to make the trailer appear larger and for personal use. Less than $10 at Lowes or HD.
Escape is charging $50 to provide a mirror on the outside of the door. If we installed one on our own, how would you attach it? Would the 3m tape be sufficient? Wouldn't want it to fall off and break. I wonder how Escape attaches it. May have to ask them about that.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:03 PM   #38
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
A mirror on the outside door... ahhhh, no. I usually have bed head or hat head... sometime. I really don't need to be reminded of it when I step inside. YMMV

I'm camping!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 07:07 PM   #39

Quote:
Escape is charging $50 to provide a mirror on the outside of the door. If we installed one on our own, how would you attach it? Would the 3m tape be sufficient? Wouldn't want it to fall off and break. I wonder how Escape attaches it. May have to ask them about that.
Like I said, they are really inexpensive and lightweight, nothing to break, here is one at Wallyworld for less than $5 Mainstays 12x48 Door Mirror, White - Walmart.com
you can use VHB tape or velcro or screws along the top and just stickum along the bottom.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:10 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
A mirror on the outside door... ahhhh, no. I usually have bed head or hat head... sometime. I really don't need to be reminded of it when I step inside. YMMV

I'm camping!
Actually the mirror makes the trailer look even longer inside, YMMV