Questions specific to the 21 - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2015, 01:57 PM   #31

Trailer: '21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post

1. We hear that it's good to get a captains light over the drawer stack at the end of the bed. Where specifically should it go? You can rotate those right? Should it go under the cabinet on the bed end so we could point it towards the bed if we needed it there? Or on the opposite side so it's out of the way? We are asking for an additional (non opening) window over the drawer stack if that makes any difference. Oh and we have one of the old furnaces saved for us so I think we'll be getting the old (shorter) drawer stack as well.

I have no idea how we'll use either of these things but I hear they're good to have. Thank you in advance!
We added both a window and a standard overhead light ( not a rotating captains light ) over the stack. The light was a last minute (literally) decision made after we discovered that the stack was the only place in the trailer that was not illuminated brightly at night. It is roughly centered to the window and is easy to reach after we crawling into bed. If I could do it over I would add a 12 v dimmer switch (and may yet do so) since they are very bright. I do miss the ability to have just a faint glow in the trailer while getting ready for bed - to set the mood. Even better - wishful thinking now - a remote controlled dimmer switch...

--
Alan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bed corner window.jpg (40.0 KB, 27 views)

alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 02:04 PM   #32
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Why not a little lamp there with a 7 watt bulb, that is what I have and they can be found in 12v version with led bulbs if you want.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1359.jpg (63.7 KB, 20 views)

Old 07-26-2015, 05:44 PM   #33
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
We added both a window and a standard overhead light ( not a rotating captains light ) over the stack. The light was a last minute (literally) decision made after we discovered that the stack was the only place in the trailer that was not illuminated brightly at night. It is roughly centered to the window and is easy to reach after we crawling into bed. If I could do it over I would add a 12 v dimmer switch (and may yet do so) since they are very bright. I do miss the ability to have just a faint glow in the trailer while getting ready for bed - to set the mood. Even better - wishful thinking now - a remote controlled dimmer switch...

--
Alan
Might try cutting out some parchment baking paper shaped to fit behind the lens to cut down the brightness. Cheap, wifey came up with that idea.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 06:53 PM   #34

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Great ideas here. Easy decision now to put an outlet on the 45 and the cabinet door close to the bathroom with the hinges on the right. Oh, and a standard light centered under the upper cabinet for the drawer stack. I feel like I'm making good progress on the build sheet!

I was thinking the mirror should go on the outside of the bathroom door for ease of use and to visually enlarge the interior. Any concerns about doing that?
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 07:32 PM   #35

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Quote:
I was thinking the mirror should go on the outside of the bathroom door for ease of use and to visually enlarge the interior. Any concerns about doing that?
When it comes to mirror placement, consider where the light will be coming from to illuminate the person facing the mirror. Mine is on the inside of the bath door and when the door is open, the person is lit by lamp in bath on one side and lamp next to trailer door on the other ( 17B )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mirror.jpg (48.2 KB, 6 views)

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 07:42 PM   #36
Site Team

The factory mirror is on the inside of the bath door but several of us have mounted full length lightweight plastic mirror on the exterior part of the bath door, to make the trailer appear larger and for personal use. Less than $10 at Lowes or HD.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:49 PM   #37

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The factory mirror is on the inside of the bath door but several of us have mounted full length lightweight plastic mirror on the exterior part of the bath door, to make the trailer appear larger and for personal use. Less than $10 at Lowes or HD.
Escape is charging $50 to provide a mirror on the outside of the door. If we installed one on our own, how would you attach it? Would the 3m tape be sufficient? Wouldn't want it to fall off and break. I wonder how Escape attaches it. May have to ask them about that.
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 08:03 PM   #38
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
A mirror on the outside door... ahhhh, no. I usually have bed head or hat head... sometime. I really don't need to be reminded of it when I step inside. YMMV

I'm camping!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 08:07 PM   #39
Site Team

Quote:
Escape is charging $50 to provide a mirror on the outside of the door. If we installed one on our own, how would you attach it? Would the 3m tape be sufficient? Wouldn't want it to fall off and break. I wonder how Escape attaches it. May have to ask them about that.
Like I said, they are really inexpensive and lightweight, nothing to break, here is one at Wallyworld for less than $5 Mainstays 12x48 Door Mirror, White - Walmart.com
you can use VHB tape or velcro or screws along the top and just stickum along the bottom.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:10 PM   #40
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
A mirror on the outside door... ahhhh, no. I usually have bed head or hat head... sometime. I really don't need to be reminded of it when I step inside. YMMV

I'm camping!
Actually the mirror makes the trailer look even longer inside, YMMV