Rain Camping! - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2015, 10:43 PM   #41

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
For those going camping this season here is a little something to get you in the mood, a view from our trailer in June. A bottle left on the table had over an inch of rain in less than an hour. But what's a little rain when you are cosy and warm.

Bob K
Attached Files
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 11:32 PM   #42

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
My only tip is to get some suction hooks and put them on the outside of the trailer, under the awning for hanging wet raingear.
bpjod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 01:03 AM   #43
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
I was right, Fran and Dave, we don't have the tools or the smarts. No sewing machine here and the only sewing I do is very rare by hand. No doubt the material can be sewn by hand though.

What do you cut the PVC with? Have to have a place to put them and they would only be used in certain weather and when staying a while. Would have to have a good place to store them.
Hmmm, looks like awning frame kits could be a good Widget Works project......

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 01:54 PM   #44

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
a lot of the camp grounds ive looked at seem closed or full -marked in red
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 02:39 PM   #45

Trailer: Escape 21 'Toto'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
a lot of the camp grounds ive looked at seem closed or full -marked in red
I think a lot of them don't take reservations in the winter. And among those that do, I've noticed most are quite full for this weekend. Presidents Day I guess. We self-employed types don't always realize when 3-day weekends are approaching.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:19 PM   #46

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Your video looks like it has some hail in it, Bob...
Old 02-11-2015, 06:04 PM   #47

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Yes, Jim, hail and heavy rain. Notice the rivers of muddy water coursing through the campsite and down to the lake. I've never experienced a bigger downpour. That's when you are so glad you left tenting behind. (And in the middle of the night for some of us old timers, when we need to pee.)

Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:23 PM   #48

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
...a bigger downpour. That's when you are so glad you left tenting behind. ...Bob K
Been there. On one trip, we borrowed a tent trailer, left our tents home, and went to (among a variety of places) a campground in Wyoming. Sunny afternoon, waited 15 minutes, had clouds move in, a large temperature drop, and a huge downpour. We were high and dry. After that, neither of us would ever be convinced to go back to tents.

Edit: Oh, and the campers next to us were gone for the afternoon. They came back to 4 inches of water in their tent, and all their gear was soaked. They left it, went to a motel. Next morning, they came back, picked it all up, and threw it in the campground dumpster.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:23 PM   #49

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
Thanks for the tips on Rainbow Falls! That's too bad. I thought it was interesting that they had a fuschia garden. Oh well - Lots of other places on our list!
Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:15 PM   #50

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
I was right, Fran and Dave, we don't have the tools or the smarts. No sewing machine here and the only sewing I do is very rare by hand. No doubt the material can be sewn by hand though.

What do you cut the PVC with? Have to have a place to put them and they would only be used in certain weather and when staying a while. Would have to have a good place to store them.
Well, you may not have a sewing machine but all it takes is sewing an open ended hem at one end (big enough to slide the PVC through and sewing the other end to the corded tape you buy from Sailrite. You can hem the sides to prevent the material from fraying. If your fabric was not too thick you could sew it by hand for sure. The corded tape is pretty thick so it might take a hefty needle and certainly a thimble to protect your fingertips.

The PVC, purchased from Home Depot, is easily cut using a simple hacksaw. The suction cups were purchased online from Amazon. There is a specific 2 step glue for PVC that is readily available at places like Home Depot. The PVC pieces are short enough to fit in the overhead cabinet along the back wall - over the dinette. The fabric rolls up and can also fit in there. Works like a charm!
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 08:12 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
Not necessarily... I created three individual awnings with NO holes. You can search for the thread "latest mods" or look on our website. They hold up well in the rain and keep it from coming in the slider.
techfan, I noticed on your travel website that you added another window awning on the curb side to supplement shading when the standard awning does not provide enough shade to that window. You also mentioned that you can deploy it even if the main standard awning is not deployed. We have made a set of awnings as per your design and plan for the back and the road side and were thinking of making one for the curb side window but on our 5.0 Classic it looks like the arm for the main awning would interfere with deploying the window awning without opening up the main awning. Have you had that problem with yours? Do you just slide the window awning over a bit to get past the main awning arm?
Thanks.
Sold both 7/22
Old 04-05-2015, 09:47 PM   #52

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMLNM View Post
techfan, I noticed on your travel website that you added another window awning on the curb side to supplement shading when the standard awning does not provide enough shade to that window. You also mentioned that you can deploy it even if the main standard awning is not deployed. We have made a set of awnings as per your design and plan for the back and the road side and were thinking of making one for the curb side window but on our 5.0 Classic it looks like the arm for the main awning would interfere with deploying the window awning without opening up the main awning. Have you had that problem with yours? Do you just slide the window awning over a bit to get past the main awning arm?
Thanks.
Yes, we slide it over. It's not ideal but it works. The awning arm is in front of the window on the 15. Not sure how much is covered on the 5.0. Our main pole is long enough to slide the awning over and then the arm goes on the other side of the built in awning post. It is still better than nothing if you don't want to deploy the big awning.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:56 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
Yes, we slide it over. It's not ideal but it works. The awning arm is in front of the window on the 15. Not sure how much is covered on the 5.0. Our main pole is long enough to slide the awning over and then the arm goes on the other side of the built in awning post. It is still better than nothing if you don't want to deploy the big awning.
Thanks! Maybe I'll go ahead and make one for our curbside window. I sure wish the main awning arm was not in the way....we really like using these window awnings! Even if a wind comes up they really can't do any damage so you can leave them up without worry....unlike the big awning! And they make great window darkeners if you let them down at night!
Thanks again for the original idea!!
Sold both 7/22
Old 04-06-2015, 11:43 AM   #54

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMLNM View Post
Thanks! Maybe I'll go ahead and make one for our curbside window. I sure wish the main awning arm was not in the way....we really like using these window awnings! Even if a wind comes up they really can't do any damage so you can leave them up without worry....unlike the big awning! And they make great window darkeners if you let them down at night!
Thanks again for the original idea!!
If I were making new for that side I might make the awning a little narrower and the ridge pole a little longer to give the clearance you need. Going to try a short one for that spot that goes in the track and just hangs there. I will send you a pm when I have it done and posted.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote