Rain Camping! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2015, 11:36 PM   #1

Trailer: the last 15A (2014)
Rain Camping!

My wife and I love the rain, and a good thing it is, as we live and camp in the Norhtwest! So my questions are as followes:
1. What custom add ons have folks used to better kit out there trailers, i.e. awnings for the windows that open etc.

2. What accessories would be prudent ( beyond the wellington boots)

3. Are the installed awnings well suited for downpours?

Thanks in advance
Shurdist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 11:47 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Golly, I camp all winter long and I haven't done anything to my trailer to enhance my rain experience in the PNW. I love the sound of it on the roof and it doesn't keep me from going on beach or forest hikes as I have excellent rain gear. I have never put my awning out during these times as wind is a factor where I camp so I can't address that one.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 11:52 PM   #3

Thanks again Karen, I would like to be able to have my windows open during less windy rain, but obviously would prefer to enjoy the experience from a dry perspective .
Old 02-09-2015, 12:04 AM   #4

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Shurdist, so you would likely want the opening version of the kitchen window. That way, when not too windy and you have the awning out, you can open that window.

You seem to be asking about individual window awnings that are often installed on large trailers. Those are not seen on small trailers as a rule. You would be making holes in the fiberglass, not that it could not be done.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:16 AM   #5

I guess I didn't understand the question very well. I have two opening windows at the front corners (awning types) so don't worry about having rain coming into the trailer. Techfan added some awnings for sun purposes but I don't see why they wouldn't work in the rain, too, except if there are high winds:

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...mods-2274.html
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
Old 02-09-2015, 12:25 AM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
The awning doesn't have to be all the way in or all the way out.
If I anticipate rain and winds overnight, I'll bring the awning in about half way, fold and lean camp chairs against the trailer, under cover, and put any other things I want to protect under the awning.
This is what it looks like partially open. You pull down on the awning arms to apply tension, before tightening the knob on the top support.
Attached Thumbnails
Awning half open.jpg  
Old 02-09-2015, 05:21 AM   #7

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
We use the awning unless or until the wind picks up. You can also tie it down and leave it out in the wind, at least within reason. If you are new to this, it's best to tip it one way way or the other for better water run off, just drop one end a couple notches.

Just picked up a Waterhog for the door mat, the small fits the 5.0 TA perfectly.

An awning mat keeps you out of the wet dirt, at least for a while. You do often have to put it away wet, having a pickup truck this doesn't bother us.

I also carry a small 25 pint dehumidifier which works great if you have hookups and the room to bring it along, gets kind of noisy though.

Good lightweight hiking rain gear.

TV or laptop to play Redbox movies.

I haven't needed to buy one yet, but there are these. I've heard they aren't the nicest looking things if such bothers you. You'd have to look to see if they would work on your windows, I only have 2 of the passenger side windows that are sliders. If they open on the front side I could use them.
Attached Thumbnails
Window Vent.jpg  
Old 02-09-2015, 05:42 AM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I haven't needed to buy one yet, but there are these. I've heard they aren't the nicest looking things if such bothers you. You'd have to look to see if they would work on your windows, I only have 2 of the passenger side windows that are sliders. If they open on the front side I could use them.
I do not believe sliding windows have to open from the front to use these. They are designed to allow you to open that portion of the window that is behind the assembly, whatever it is called (Rain Guard, maybe?). Then can be adjusted to fit any height trailer window, but are screwed into the window frame. I have seen them installed on a trailer and also at Camping World. The person who had them said he loved them (he frequently posts on FGRV). I personally don't find them to be "ugly." The intent is to allow a small opening when it is raining to allow the use of the exhaust fan to draw air into the trailer while prevent wind blown rain from coming in. I do not know if they are intended to allow sliding windows to be open during travel in the rain if the windows did open from the front, but I probably wouldn't do it due to swirling conditions when various shaped objects such as TVs and trailers are moving at any speed faster than one can walk.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:31 AM   #9

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I was thinking more of the trailers areodynamics, better if the opening part of the window is towards the front of the trailer. But then I could be all wet. Looking at them again they really don't stick out much.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:02 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I installed one of those on my Eggcamper and then got water coming inside from around the screws, took it off and sealed the holes.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:27 AM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I'm in the corner of the MaxAir Vent things are gross. When I'm inside, I want to see outside. So while you can open your window (if the wind isn't blowing), the vent thing distorts the view. If you must have a window open and have a bathroom window, open the bathroom door, open that window. At least if it gets wet inside, it's contained in an area designed to get wet.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:31 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
and do not forget the stove vent which can be lodged open to allow fresh air and not rain to enter, I use a clip to keep it open and then turn on the ceiling fan for a breeze.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:51 AM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
Shurdist, so you would likely want the opening version of the kitchen window. That way, when not too windy and you have the awning out, you can open that window.

You seem to be asking about individual window awnings that are often installed on large trailers. Those are not seen on small trailers as a rule. You would be making holes in the fiberglass, not that it could not be done.
Not necessarily... I created three individual awnings with NO holes. You can search for the thread "latest mods" or look on our website. They hold up well in the rain and keep it from coming in the slider.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
Not necessarily... I created three individual awnings with NO holes. You can search for the thread "latest mods" or look on our website. They hold up well in the rain and keep it from coming in the slider.
See Post #5 of this thread.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
Old 02-09-2015, 10:48 AM   #15

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
We use the awning, our Pahaque shelter (wouldn't be without it!) and love our Campfire in a can. Here's a pic that Jon V took at a rainy NOG, the sun had just come out:
Attached Thumbnails
_DSC0026.jpg  
Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:24 AM   #16

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/at...8&d=1372640121

gabeck posted this picture in 6/30/2013. I think it would be rather effective in keeping cross rain/light wind from being an annoyance. I like the idea and these curtains are a work of art and work to some degree as a privacy measure. Of course a couple inexpensive shower curtains could be used if one wanted to see if the idea appealed to them.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:46 AM   #17

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
See Post #5 of this thread.
Thanks Karen, thought I read all posts. Additional info: Met some really nice people at the Blue Bonnet last year and they liked the awnings and took the info and made their own. They just sent me pictures of their completed project and indicated that they used them in a torrential downpour in Texas and they worked great. They are bungie cording them to the "belly band". They added a nice fringe and more colorful fabric. (Please ignore that they are on a Casita, these work on any trailer.) Pics below:
Attached Thumbnails
awning1.JPG   awning2.JPG   image3.JPG  
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:20 PM   #18

techfan,
this is what i was looking for thanks!
Old 02-09-2015, 12:31 PM   #19

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
We have the window maxx vents . Ours work as advertised ,do not leak and as far as looks, function over form prevails in my world .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:50 PM   #20

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post

We followed Techfan's lead and did the same thing, plus you can decide which/how many windows you want to set up on a given day/situation. They are also handy for keeping the trailer dark during the night...just remove the arm braces and let the canvas drop down against the window. The tracks for the awnings also act as rain gutters even when the awning is not deployed. For the loft windows where we do not have awnings, we used regular RV stick on rain gutters.
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote