Range hood on new Escapes - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2019, 11:25 AM   #1

Trailer: 2005 Escape 17B Sold 2016. 2016 Escape 19 Sold 2019. 2019 Escape 21 picked up Sep 2019
Range hood on new Escapes

Hi all...

In looking at photos of the new Escapes, the range hood looks a lot different than the one in our 2016 19. Question: does anyone know if Escape has upgraded the hood fan and vent cover. The fan is pretty loud... and the little plastic "hinge pins" on the vent cover outside are really cheap and broke almost immediately.

Thinking about getting a 21 and wondering if we should forgo the hood. The vent area allows a lot of cold in and heat out in shoulder seasons... the fan is noisy... and the vent cover is cheap. We can probably vent by opening the kitchen window and sucking air out through Maxxfan.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 06-12-2019, 11:34 AM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Some of the folks have upgraded the hood/fan on their own, do a search if interested. I passed on the hood on this trailer, can't think of once we've missed it, but that's just us. We don't fry foods in the trailer. The Maxxfan works fine when we need to vent steam or some such, especially with the kitchen window.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:42 AM   #3

Trailer: 21' Escape in production 12/05/19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallemann View Post
Hi all...

In looking at photos of the new Escapes, the range hood looks a lot different than the one in our 2016 19. Question: does anyone know if Escape has upgraded the hood fan and vent cover. The fan is pretty loud... and the little plastic "hinge pins" on the vent cover outside are really cheap and broke almost immediately.

Thinking about getting a 21 and wondering if we should forgo the hood. The vent area allows a lot of cold in and heat out in shoulder seasons... the fan is noisy... and the vent cover is cheap. We can probably vent by opening the kitchen window and sucking air out through Maxxfan.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
We're most likely going to leave our off... Going to check them out before deciding for sure. I have uses for that under the cabinet space too!
Gori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:43 AM   #4

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
At the other end of the spectrum, we cook on our stovetop generally twice a day, and vent a tremendous amount of steam and moisture with the range hood vent. It is a critical part of our humidity/moisture management control. Not really important in warmer, summer camping when everything is open anyway, but very important in the shoulder or winter seasons when moisture management becomes more challenging. We are all season campers so wouldn’t consider a trailer without the range hood. YMMV.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:46 AM   #5

Trailer: 21' Escape in production 12/05/19
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Some of the folks have upgraded the hood/fan on their own, do a search if interested. I passed on the hood on this trailer, can't think of once we've missed it, but that's just us. We don't fry foods in the trailer. The Maxxfan works fine when we need to vent steam or some such, especially with the kitchen window.
I can't imagine using it much either... Give me my toaster oven, microwave, instant pot, and a plug in coil or induction burner and I'm good. Counter space rules all!
Gori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:57 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I installed my own Ventline range hood with a SAM-1 fan kit. We use it a lot and love it. It is very quiet, even on fast speed which is not needed for cooking, and the LED light works very well, it even doubles as a night light if you wish.

Having done renovations for a living, I see the crud that builds up big time in range hood vent ducting so would not go without one in the trailer. We do cook outside if nice out, but have done a fair bit of cooking inside, and will cook anything we desire in the oven or on the stove top with no worries.

I have heard others say they are worried about hitting the range hood, but in near 30 years of using one, including our two Escapes, it has never been a problem for either of us.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:57 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Recently purchased the Sam upgrade for exhaust fan hood. Not yet installed. Reason for purchasing was because stock exhaust fan while working ok does make a lot of noise and the included under hood light is next to worthless. We use the fan every time we use the stove to remove moisture. On removing hood to see what was involved in the changeover I was amazed at the amount of crud inside. It does look like the stock fan is doing its job. My wife does a lot of cooking inside, not a lot of frying as we try to eat healthy. Hope to get the upgrade installed in the next few days because it does look like a substantial improvement. I’ll keep you posted 😎
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 01:07 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
To answer the op's question, yes ETI has changed their stock aluminum range hood, both inside and the exterior hatch. On the outside, the little tabs have been replace with a snap shut feature. Inside the light is brighter and fan is less noisy.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:32 PM   #9

Trailer: 2005 Escape 17B Sold 2016. 2016 Escape 19 Sold 2019. 2019 Escape 21 picked up Sep 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
To answer the op's question, yes ETI has changed their stock aluminum range hood, both inside and the exterior hatch. On the outside, the little tabs have been replace with a snap shut feature. Inside the light is brighter and fan is less noisy.
Very helpful. Thank you!
Old 06-12-2019, 02:16 PM   #10

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Jim: What is the make/model of the new range hood? From the latest pictures I can find it still looks like a Heng's hood.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:24 PM   #11

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Having done renovations for a living, I see the crud that builds up big time in range hood vent ducting so would not go without one in the trailer. We do cook outside if nice out, but have done a fair bit of cooking inside, and will cook anything we desire in the oven or on the stove top with no worries.
Agreed. When you see the sticky crud on the hood underside and filter you should imagine that building up on the underside of your cabinets if you don't have a hood. Some early 19's came with a recirculating hood (pointless noisemaker). One of the first things I did was bought the SAM-1 upgrade and cut a hole in the side of the trailer for the venting. Even with the SAM-1 and the rare cooking of greasy foods when you clean the MaxxFan screen it is still a bit sticky. Granted everyone has different cooking habits and diets but I imagine this would be a lot worse without a range hood if you do a considerable amount of cooking inside.