really comfortabr mattress topper??? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-01-2019, 06:33 PM   #21

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quilting Lady View Post
Pat that sounds like what I need. How thick is your latex and what brand. I need more plush. My 3=4 inch memory foam is too firm.
Nancy
Hi sorry it took awile to get back to you . Ok , at home we purchased from seller Plush beds and the receipt says over 600. For the camper we purchased from Amazon , I looked for the receipts and I couldn’t find them but it was a little cheaper . The one from plush beds is 100% Talalay Latex . It is made from the rubber trees . That is why it is so expensive . His price is a markup for his store which is fair . You can find online different sellers , maybe better price . Now we also have tariffs to deal with .
Now the laytex from Amazon we have in the trailer . Soft is 19 ILD , medium is 28 ILD , and firm is 36 IL D . You want at least 2 in for your topper or 3 in . For a Queen I saw 129 in the 2 in . 279 for the Queen in 3 in . You also want a zippered bamboo cover . It will give . The qualities with laytex , you won’t get hot . Also it will bounce back when you move . The problem with foam is it compresses and hardens with cold weather .
The Plush Beds came with a cover already .
If the number is close to 19 ILD , it will still be soft .
Hope this helps you a little . Feel free if you have any more questions . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 06:41 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Hi sorry it took awile to get back to you . Ok , at home we purchased from seller Plush beds and the receipt says over 600. For the camper we purchased from Amazon , I looked for the receipts and I couldn’t find them but it was a little cheaper . The one from plush beds is 100% Talalay Latex . It is made from the rubber trees . That is why it is so expensive . His price is a markup for his store which is fair . You can find online different sellers , maybe better price . Now we also have tariffs to deal with .
Now the laytex from Amazon we have in the trailer . Soft is 19 ILD , medium is 28 ILD , and firm is 36 IL D . You want at least 2 in for your topper or 3 in . For a Queen I saw 129 in the 2 in . 279 for the Queen in 3 in . You also want a zippered bamboo cover . It will give . The qualities with laytex , you won’t get hot . Also it will bounce back when you move . The problem with foam is it compresses and hardens with cold weather .
The Plush Beds came with a cover already .
If the number is close to 19 ILD , it will still be soft .
Hope this helps you a little . Feel free if you have any more questions . Pat
Couldn't get to trailer right now but I took a picture of topper on bed at home with the cover .
Pat
Attached Thumbnails
53DA8392-80AB-4C85-86F3-36E260194068.jpg  
Old 10-01-2019, 09:02 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I bought one that sounds the same but in a medium, wish I had gotten the soft like Pat, which they also sell. It's not like you can stuff it back in the bax and send it back. An expensive lesson.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
Hi Bob if you can’t return , what if you put the 2 in soft on top ? Also the bamboo cover from Amazon not expensive will help too. When we first got the topper we put our cotton cover on and it was too firm even though soft topper , just a thought . Pat
Old 10-01-2019, 10:47 PM   #24

Trailer: 2012 E19
Mine is this one, we're happy with it.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
They have 1", 2", and 3" thicknesses.
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 10:57 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Mine is this one, we're happy with it.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
They have 1", 2", and 3" thicknesses.
Yup Mike what I saw today when I was checking . Just need to pull down the menu and pick your size . Pat
Old 10-02-2019, 12:34 AM   #26
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
our plans are to have a local custom mattress company make us one to suit. a topper on the existing mattress makes it that much higher, which means you need to slide off the bed to reach the ground, which tends to drag the sheets, blankets, and topper off the bed....
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:36 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
our plans are to have a local custom mattress company make us one to suit. a topper on the existing mattress makes it that much higher, which means you need to slide off the bed to reach the ground, which tends to drag the sheets, blankets, and topper off the bed....
Forgot to mention that John . Ours is total 8 in . Linda sewed the top sheet so it is fitted on the whole bed . Pat
Old 10-02-2019, 11:14 AM   #28

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
$900! sharp intake of breath. whoa!
Old 10-02-2019, 12:08 PM   #29

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Hi Bob if you can’t return , what if you put the 2 in soft on top ? Also the bamboo cover from Amazon not expensive will help too. When we first got the topper we put our cotton cover on and it was too firm even though soft topper , just a thought . Pat
It has a Bamboo cover. Good idea on putting a soft on top, I'll check with the boss and see if the sheets will still fit if I go that route.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:15 PM   #30

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21--FOR SALE
Sealy 2" mattress topper

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quilting Lady View Post
The egg crate one is not making it for us.We need something more. Has anyone tried the Tempur Pedic ones or the My Pillow ones? I am mostly a side sleeper.
We were camping on the Oregon Coast last year and realized that we had reached the "sell the trailer" point regarding back pain from the stock mattress in our 2014 Escape 21. On a whim I wandered into the bedding department at the Fred Meyer store in Astoria, OR, and found the Sealy 2" topper made, of all places, in the USA! What a game-changer--and for about $60, if I remember correctly.

It's smooth-sided, top and bottom, fits the E21 bed perfectly, and enables us to sleep as comfortably on the road as at home. There was no discernible out-gassing. If you needed a thicker topper, I suppose you could buy two of these for a total of 4 inches.

You mileage may vary, but the Sealy topper sure works for us.
Old 10-02-2019, 01:56 PM   #31
Site Team

Trailer: 1964 Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
$900! sharp intake of breath. whoa!
You can order a latex topper from a number of places for waaaaaay less.

I am also a fan of latex. try sleep on latex here: https://sleeponlatex.com/products/na...attress-topper

a 2 inch medium is about right. You can order with or without a cover. The cover is over-rated imo.

A full size, 2 inch medium will run about $130.00

Escape Forum Custom Google Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 03:22 PM   #32

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
What is not discussed here is the foundation for the topper. If the mattress is getting old, neither a memory foam or latex topper is going to make that much difference.

We picked up our 21 five years ago with no mattress; I brought a 6 inch closed cell foam foundation and a 2" Pure Latex Bliss with Activefusion we already owned. Turned out that 2" wasn't quite enough so we found a 2.5 inch latex topper on Amazon for around $300 and is good. I got lucky for my rear bunk on the dinette: a 3" Pure Latex Bliss Twin that is super comfortable on the filler cushions I had made(and have since replaced the foam on the one ETI made. Both the front and rear beds are as good as they were 5 years ago.

You can buy a (now called Pure Talalay Bliss) 3" queen for $549. Their ILD is proprietary yet have read it is likely 16. Placing it on a 3 year old RV mattress is iffy as most RV mattresses are so so, and the durability even more so. The foam foundation for a 21 cost me around $600 if I remember right. Is $1,000 for a great RV bed worth it. To me, no question.
Old 10-02-2019, 07:57 PM   #33

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (May 2015)
Send a message via Skype™ to HappyCampers
We have an egg crate one at home and the My Pillow in the Escape. I prefer the My Pillow topper and am thinking of switching them for the winter while not camping. I am also mostly a side sleeper.
Old 10-02-2019, 08:30 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
You can order a latex topper from a number of places for waaaaaay less.

I am also a fan of latex. try sleep on latex here: https://sleeponlatex.com/products/na...attress-topper

a 2 inch medium is about right. You can order with or without a cover. The cover is over-rated imo.

A full size, 2 inch medium will run about $130.00
There are different covers . The bamboo has little holes all through . Covers can really change the comfort of the toppers . But has been mentioned in this thread , it is all personal preference. Pat
Old 10-02-2019, 09:29 PM   #35

Trailer: 2019 Escape 17B
Sheepskin?

We sleep in the dinette area of our 17B.

The stock cushions rest on top of a double bed sized set of Froli "stands" (see the Froli website) on top of the plywood benches and lowered table.

A sheepskin mattress cover from Costco (about US$ 100, IIRC) sits on top of the stock cushions. The sheepskin is backed with a cotton muslin on the skin side (opposite the "fur side") and the instructions suggested sleeping with the cotton up in the summer and the sheepskin up in the winter. This has resulted in a very comfortable bed for us.

Caveat: one of us weighs in at 125 pounds and the other at 150.

For over 20 years, I lived on a boat and put 4" of high density foam on top of slats (similar to what they sell at Ikea). The high density foam had a 1.5" layer of latex bonded to it. Heaven. Absolute heaven. =) For me, anyway!

We both sleep about half the night on our backs, about half on one side or the other.

Good luck finding what works for you!
Old 10-02-2019, 09:31 PM   #36

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
We bought a My Pillow topper for our new 19 this summer from BedBath&Beyond using one of their 20% off coupons to bring the price down a bit. It has made all the difference for us - very comfortable and does not make it any more difficult to put on sheets or climb into at night. Hope you find the right product for you.
LRCURTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 09:52 PM   #37

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Some information on bamboo fabric:
https://goodonyou.eco/bamboo-fabric-sustainable/
Old 10-02-2019, 10:10 PM   #38

Quote:
There are different covers . The bamboo has little holes all through . Covers can really change the comfort of the toppers . But has been mentioned in this thread , it is all personal preference. Pat
Another important point with the covers . The cover helps you move topper . The latex can tear . You need to flip it to move ,not pull . Also only the 100% Talalay Latex is very expensive . The toppers on Amazon etc have Latex but also have other materials in them hence the cost is less expensive . Still excellent toppers which is what we have in trailer . The expensive one is at home and many years ago ,cost was over 600. I am not getting anything out of this just sharing my experience with bedding . But we all are not the same and what works for me may not for someone else . Pat
Old 10-02-2019, 10:12 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Some information on bamboo fabric:
https://goodonyou.eco/bamboo-fabric-sustainable/
Glen Thankyou and going to read this but not tonight Pat
Old 10-02-2019, 10:16 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD escape View Post
We sleep in the dinette area of our 17B.

The stock cushions rest on top of a double bed sized set of Froli "stands" (see the Froli website) on top of the plywood benches and lowered table.

A sheepskin mattress cover from Costco (about US$ 100, IIRC) sits on top of the stock cushions. The sheepskin is backed with a cotton muslin on the skin side (opposite the "fur side") and the instructions suggested sleeping with the cotton up in the summer and the sheepskin up in the winter. This has resulted in a very comfortable bed for us.

Caveat: one of us weighs in at 125 pounds and the other at 150.

For over 20 years, I lived on a boat and put 4" of high density foam on top of slats (similar to what they sell at Ikea). The high density foam had a 1.5" layer of latex bonded to it. Heaven. Absolute heaven. =) For me, anyway!

We both sleep about half the night on our backs, about half on one side or the other.

Good luck finding what works for you!
Sounds like a great bed ! Pat