really comfortabr mattress topper??? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-30-2019, 07:55 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
really comfortabr mattress topper???

The egg crate one is not making it for us.We need something more. Has anyone tried the Tempur Pedic ones or the My Pillow ones? I am mostly a side sleeper.
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 08:24 AM   #2

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quilting Lady View Post
The egg crate one is not making it for us.We need something more. Has anyone tried the Tempur Pedic ones or the My Pillow ones? I am mostly a side sleeper.
Laytex ! Can get soft to firm and different thickness . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 08:33 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
A good quality egg crate type topper, with the points up, works quite well for us, and I too am a side sleeper for the most part. I bought ours from a local foam mattress company and would not recommend getting a cheap one.

I love latex foam, but that stuff is so heavy. I had some on a mattress we built for our 19 which gave use some weight loading problems to deal with. We had no front storage box as they had not come out yet. I used a double layer of latex on a coil mattress at home and love it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 10:14 AM   #4

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
We got a 2 inch memory foam topper and love it...just as comfy as our mem ok ry foam mattress at home. Got it on Amazon for less than $100...don't recall the brand but decided to try an inexpensive one rather than spend big bucks and have been very happy with it.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:20 AM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Bedding is a tough subject to get right. I think we all have different needs in this area.

I'm a side sleeper too, as I've gotten older I have issues with my arms or shoulders no matter what I use for a topper, or not. Have tried the egg crate, 2" Latex, and 3" memory foam. Personally I find the memory foam the best for comfort but too hot so I use the Latex, which is harder but sleeps cooler. The Latex stays soft in cold weather which is a big plus over memory foam.

Like hotel rooms, the 1st night on the trailer bed is somewhat uncomfortable.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
We have a 19 . Sold the Escape mattress right after we got home . Our mattress is now 2 in air that can be adjusted sitting on top of 2 in expensive foam , 2 2in very soft latex toppers on top . We also have Laytex toppers at home on a Sealy foam mattress
Used to have a Select Comfort . Need support and soft surface to sleep on . Also never had a problem with trailer weight or handling problems , and we always carry full fresh water tank . We do have front box . Pat
Old 09-30-2019, 10:45 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Bedding is a tough subject to get right. I think we all have different needs in this area.

I'm a side sleeper too, as I've gotten older I have issues with my arms or shoulders no matter what I use for a topper, or not. Have tried the egg crate, 2" Latex, and 3" memory foam. Personally I find the memory foam the best for comfort but too hot so I use the Latex, which is harder but sleeps cooler. The Latex stays soft in cold weather which is a big plus over memory foam.

No doubt we are all different sleepers, from sleeping style to body configurations.

I too have issue now with my hips and shoulders being a side sleeper. The mattress we have at home right now is not cheap, but works fantastic. It has an 8" multi small coil base with side cold around the edge and across the lumbar, and you add two 2" latex down mattresses on top of your choosing, and I chose 2 soft, while Lisa chose a medium and Ferb, but she is mostly a stomach sleeper.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 12:10 PM   #8

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I use a single wide air mattress also. Caveat: undo the valve or partly deflate if you are traveling upward in elevation.
Old 09-30-2019, 01:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
I use a single wide air mattress also. Caveat: undo the valve or partly deflate if you are traveling upward in elevation.
The 2 in air mattress we have we got many years ago . Even used in our camper . I don’t think they are made any longer . It has a pump and each side has a tethered control to put air in or out . Each side has it’s own adjustment .Yes attitude and even hot weather or cold weather affects , letting air out or in . Pat
Old 09-30-2019, 01:32 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I always sleep poorly the first 2 or 3 nights in my Escape. After that I am so tired that I seem to sleep a lot better.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 03:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
I always sleep poorly the first 2 or 3 nights in my Escape. After that I am so tired that I seem to sleep a lot better.
Dave you need some changes in bedding ! If it is the Escape mattress ? What Ron and others did IKEA bed system helps with that mattress . It shouldn’t be sitting on ply , that ‘s the problem . Or lots of other bedding . You need your sleep ! Pat
Old 09-30-2019, 04:13 PM   #12

Trailer: TBD
I use this mattress topper at home with very good success and will get one for the 21 when the times comes. I use a down quilt and a merino wool mattress pad too.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
Old 09-30-2019, 04:29 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Dave you need some changes in bedding ! If it is the Escape mattress ? What Ron and others did IKEA bed system helps with that mattress . It shouldn’t be sitting on ply , that ‘s the problem . Or lots of other bedding . You need your sleep ! Pat
I know. I have asked my wife whether she would like to have a nice memory foam mattress pad, but she says that she sleeps better in the trailer on the Escape mattress than at home where we have a mattress pad. It is not a big enough issue for me to lose sleep over.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 04:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
I know. I have asked my wife whether she would like to have a nice memory foam mattress pad, but she says that she sleeps better in the trailer on the Escape mattress than at home where we have a mattress pad. It is not a big enough issue for me to lose sleep over.
Oh dear Dave you have a dilemma.We are all different for sure ! Pat
Old 09-30-2019, 05:40 PM   #15

Trailer: 2012 E19
We just switched our topper at home from memory foam to latex (20 ILD, 4 lb/cu.ft), with a quilted mattress pad overtop. It "feels" firmer than the memory foam, but I seem to be experiencing less pressure points with the latex. I don't turn as often as before. Also the latex seems to heat up from my body a bit less, which contributes to comfort. I am glad I got the 20 ILD instead of a higher number (which would feel even more firm); I'm sleeping well.
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 05:57 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
We just switched our topper at home from memory foam to latex (20 ILD, 4 lb/cu.ft), with a quilted mattress pad overtop. It "feels" firmer than the memory foam, but I seem to be experiencing less pressure points with the latex. I don't turn as often as before. Also the latex seems to heat up from my body a bit less, which contributes to comfort. I am glad I got the 20 ILD instead of a higher number (which would feel even more firm); I'm sleeping well.
Hi Mike we got the most plush laytex topper we could get . Ours came with a nice bamboo zippered cover . At first we had a cotton mattress cover on top of that. Took that off and just have the sheet on top of the bamboo cover that covers the laytex. The bamboo cover stretches and now the laytex isn’t constrained , so it is softer then it was with the mattress cotton cover on it too. . Just a thought . I need support but soft plush under me . Pat
Old 09-30-2019, 09:27 PM   #17

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
I’m a side sleeper and I have a 4 inch memory foam topper. I sleep better in my trailer then I do at home on my more expensive mattress.
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 07:28 AM   #18

Quote:
Hi Mike we got the most plush laytex topper we could get . Ours came with a nice bamboo zippered cover . At first we had a cotton mattress cover on top of that. Took that off and just have the sheet on top of the bamboo cover that covers the laytex. The bamboo cover stretches and now the laytex isn’t constrained , so it is softer then it was with the mattress cotton cover on it too. . Just a thought . I need support but soft plush under me . Pat
Pat that sounds like what I need. How thick is your latex and what brand. I need more plush. My 3=4 inch memory foam is too firm.
Nancy
Old 10-01-2019, 09:53 AM   #19

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I bought one that sounds the same but in a medium, wish I had gotten the soft like Pat, which they also sell. It's not like you can stuff it back in the bax and send it back. An expensive lesson.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
Old 10-01-2019, 05:18 PM   #20

Quote:
I checked on the laytex topper at a mattress store today and they said it was 900$