Rear storage container for trailer - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2014, 12:38 AM   #1

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Question Rear storage container for trailer

I was looking at the new 2015 Escape Calender when I noticed that for the month of May they have a three picture collage. And in the number three picture, the trailer on the far right has just what I've been looking for, a rear storage container. It looks like it attaches to the bicycle rack receiver. I've scoured all the local RV places and even Walmart and stores like that, but no luck. Does anyone out there know were you can get something like that? Any and all help would be appreciated.
sunrisetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 01:03 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Go to www.etrailer.com/ and you can find all sorts of cargo racks and containers, but keep in mind that you need to keep the weight down or you will un-weight the tongue which can cause sway.
I got the lightest rack that would accommodate the aluminum box I already had. I still take care so it doesn't get too heavy. I use it for bulky, but light items that I don't want inside.
You also have to set it up so it doesn't prevent you from accessing the spare tire. Initially, I had my box secured to the rack with u-bolts so you had to get inside the box to remove it. Then, I discovered that the box prevented me from rotating the tire wrench to unbolt the tire. It would hit the box.
I now have the box attached to the rack with a ratchet strap so I can remove the box to unbolt the tire.
Attached Thumbnails
Storage box.jpg  
Old 12-08-2014, 01:48 AM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
BTW. If you find what you need at etrailer.com, phone in your order and ask them to ship it from their Ontario warehouse. If they have it in Ontario, that can save customs hassles.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:12 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Just be careful, with the Escape 15, your hitch weight is less than 200#, any rear weight can lead to sway. Maybe better to put the weight in your tow vehicle or up front in the trailer.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:23 AM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Harbor Freight has a 500# capacity aluminum rack for $99. I've seen them as low as $50 at HF: Aluminum Hitch Cargo Carrier - 500 lb. Capacity
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:16 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The only issue is there is either a 200 or 100 lb limit on the rear hitch, unless you get it reinforced. Something about the weak link in a strong chain........
Old 12-08-2014, 08:06 AM   #7

Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A/2015 21 coming in march
I got mine from Princess Auto or Cap-It. I tried one, this is also with 2-20lb propane & 2 12 grp 27 batteries on the tongue. 100km/hr no sway after that it got progressively worse. All that I put in the back attachment carrier was 5lb bbq propane,bbq [small] 3 gals gas, IMO don't do it. Unless you have sway bars & are lighter on the right foot than I..
WLYBGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:33 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 E21
Would a small cargo trailer like this (SS Aluminum Body Motorcycle Cargo Trailer) work? The cargo might need to be kept in the rear to keep the weight off the trailer's rear hitch and maybe the tongue should be shortened. But might it work?
Old 12-08-2014, 10:07 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by abby View Post
Would a small cargo trailer like this (SS Aluminum Body Motorcycle Cargo Trailer) work? The cargo might need to be kept in the rear to keep the weight off the trailer's rear hitch and maybe the tongue should be shortened. But might it work?
It would legal only behind a 5th wheel in some (a few?) states/provinces. It would never be legal behind a "bumper pull" trailer.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:18 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 E21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamman View Post
It would legal only behind a 5th wheel in some (a few?) states/provinces. It would never be legal behind a "bumper pull" trailer.
Thanks for the info.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:48 AM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Yes, some states and provinces do allow for two trailers. The first time, in Alberta, that I saw a trailer with a boat behind I asked a cop about it. He said, "sir, if you want to make your own choo-choo train, that's fine, as long as it's not over 65 feet long".

Can you imagine backing up

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:31 AM   #12

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
... keep in mind that you need to keep the weight down or you will un-weight the tongue which can cause sway.
It's actually the mass and its location that cause sway; the change in tongue weight is just another symptom. You can move stuff around, or add or remove stuff, and change stability significantly even with the same tongue weight. I get the point, though... if you add just one thing and it reduces the tongue weight, you've probably decreased stability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracker View Post
100km/hr no sway after that it got progressively worse.
IMO don't do it.
That suggests that even at lower speeds the trailer would have been unstable, if disturbed more abruptly (such as by a sudden lane change). I agree - not a good situation.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:36 AM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I stand corrected - and surprised. About half the US states allow 2 trailers. Some of them only allow a trailer behind a 5th wheel. I did not look further into the Canadian provinces.

So I should say you need to check each state you want to tow it in. And I would *not* consider towing such a rig. But I would love to see someone back it - especially around a corner. It's got to be harder than backing farm trailer with a front steering axle - which I can't do.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:46 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Yes, some states and provinces do allow for two trailers. The first time, in Alberta, that I saw a trailer with a boat behind I asked a cop about it. He said, "sir, if you want to make your own choo-choo train, that's fine, as long as it's not over 65 feet long".
While these rigs are not common, I do see them. The cop's summary left out some key details for Alberta, such as the requirement for a fifth-wheel hitch (no ball hitches, even in the truck bed), tandem axles on the lead trailer (so 5.0TA is okay, but original 5.0 is not), and that the lead trailer is the longer one (which is normally what people would do, anyway). Despite the amusing "train" reference, two trailers is the limit here (without a commercial driver's license, but that would bring in another whole set of rules).

It usually is a small power boat in the caboose position, since that's the only practical way to take the boat along, given that a travel trailer is part of the rig. Personally, I think these people should get a motorhome and tow the boat with that.

I find these multi-trailer rigs to be interesting, but the reality is that there are many technical, legal, and logistical issues with them. I would discourage anyone from trying it, since only those who thoroughly understand the issues should actually do it.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:50 AM   #15

Quote:
But I would love to see someone back it - especially around a corner.
I don't think they're backed very often. Drive-through routes are chosen, and at the destination the boat trailer is dropped of, then the fifth-wheel travel trailer is parked, then the truck returns to pick up the boat trailer to launch the boat... and departure is the opposite of arrival. Seems like a lot of work.

Many motorhomes tow cars, either flat or on a dolly. Neither setup backs up very well (the dolly manufacturers say not to even try), and with planning (and unhitching the car at most campsites) it works.
Old 12-08-2014, 04:00 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Here's an interesting pictorial answer:
Escape Trailer Owners Community - LBaranyai's Album: Our 17B "Fire Escape" - Picture

LBaranyai's 17B with a motorcycle on the rear.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 04:28 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Thanks for all the interest, but we seem to have gotten a bit off topic. I was looking at the rear storage container (shown in the 2015 Escape Calender) and thought that it was the perfect solution to what I needed. It matched so perfectly with the trailer you'd think Reace built and sold it to them. Right now I have a metal rack I bought a Princes Auto and a plastic tote I bought at Walmart. Together they work but they don't look near as nice as the one I saw in the calender. The ones at etrailer.com are nice but to low to the ground for my liking.
sunrisetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote