Regional delicacies.... - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-15-2015, 12:07 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Regional delicacies....

Recent posts on various threads got me thinking about a certain local well known local delicacy that people may miss or relish. For example, morning buns and poutine.
Perhaps we can share some of our favorites and maybe even bring them to Osoyoos for tasting, hint,hint - Santacruzer.
For me here on the east coast we have what I feel are the best potato chips, made by UTZ. Made here in Pennsylvania about 20 miles from me (free factory tours) they are only available in northeast US. http://utzsnacks.com
Another local treat is Berger's cookies, made only in Baltimore, Md, my original home. Bergers Cookies - Buy Cookies Online & Wholesale | Baltimore, MD
I will be bringing both of these to Osoyoos for sampling.
Anyone else have any good secrets to share?
Old 01-15-2015, 12:46 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
From Binghamton, NY - Spiedies - Grilled marinated lamb (or other meats if you don't want the original) served on sliced italian bread. SpiedieFest is an late July Balloon Festival where almost all the local Spiedie makers have booths.

From Syracuse, NY - 2 items: Salt Potatoes, new potatoes boiled in heavily salted water served with melted butter. They originated when the workers at the local salt mines boiled potatoes in the salt brine. And Hofmann Hot Dogs, & "Snappies" (a white hot dog with a distinctive flavor), both the best dogs in the country (and I know that is going to be challenged, but I've sampled dogs from around the US & Canada and stand by the statement!)

I was going to add Cape Cod Kettle Cooked Potato Chips, particularly their sea salt Waffle Cut, but while on my last trip around the US I found them in many places, so while they were regional, I suspect they now have national distribution. Still great chips!
Old 01-15-2015, 12:54 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (May 2015)
Send a message via Skype™ to HappyCampers
We saw poutine mentioned on the forum so often and had no idea what it was, saw it offered as an appetizer on a menu in Wisconsin over Christmas and had to try it. Won't make that mistake again, either they didn't make it right or it is just plain bad stuff. As for our area, fresh, still warm, cheese curds from the Ellsworth Creamery in Ellsworth, WI are the best, they squeak when you bite them. www.ellsworthcheese.com If you have to refrigerate them, just nuke for a few seconds to rewarm and they are as good as fresh.
Old 01-15-2015, 01:11 PM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I would provide an Edmonton-area delicacy, but I'm pretty sure there isn't one. Lots of good food from a vast array of cultures, but when a place is only about a century old, it typically doesn't have its own unique cuisine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCampers View Post
We saw poutine mentioned on the forum so often and had no idea what it was, saw it offered as an appetizer on a menu in Wisconsin over Christmas and had to try it. Won't make that mistake again, either they didn't make it right or it is just plain bad stuff. As for our area, fresh, still warm, cheese curds from the Ellsworth Creamery in Ellsworth, WI are the best, they squeak when you bite them.
I'm pretty sure those were the curds that should have been on the poutine. On the other hand, I still haven't actually eaten poutine.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 01:22 PM   #5

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Brian would your local delicacy be the perogy? You're not far from Glendon AB home of the giant perogy!
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 03:20 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Brian would your local delicacy be the perogy? You're not far from Glendon AB home of the giant perogy!
There is certainly a lot of Ukrainian and similar food here, largely as a result of a large population of people who immigrated to Alberta from Urkraine in the couple of decades which ended about a century ago. Glendon is a couple hundred kilometres from Edmonton, and closer to the centre of the area where most of those immigrants settled. Edmonton is just on the western edge of this area, and I just don't think of this area as uniquely claiming anything from Ukrainian culture.

On the other hand, we had perogies for dinner two nights ago, just by coincidence. Cheemo perogies... which are made here in Edmonton. Perogies have a significant section in the freezers of supermarkets here, although I have met people who make their own perogies, and would never settle for frozen! To me, it's the kielbasa or similar sausage that goes with the perogies that's important... and that leads to Mundare, home of a giant sausage and famous local source of sausages.

If anyone is visiting here, and looking for a solid meal of good value, a Ukrainian-style restaurant would be worth trying. Many years ago that would be the Perogy House, but it is long closed. From a quick web search, it looks like Uncle Ed's might be a good current choice.... although a real family meal ( if you have the connections) or a community perogy supper (if you're willing to find one) would likely be better, or at least more authentic.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 05:53 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Hint taken about the Morning Buns. I'll bring some to Osoyoos. Did I see somewhere last year that there was a list of who was bringing what?
Old 01-15-2015, 07:04 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Virtual RV
Scrapple!

The farther I got away the mid-east states, DE, MD, PA, the harder it was to find and in most cases unable to find it.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:21 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Barbacoa. Yum. Served with homemade HOT Salsa, minced onions and Cilantro on corn tortillas.

Dang, now I gotta go eat.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:50 PM   #10

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Jim,

Utz over Herr's? Well, to each their own I say. No PJ's with the "works?" Bring 'em and I'll make the trip. BTW, if you ever get a chance, check out Mike Sell's from southern Ohio; a superior chip.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 08:16 PM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Portland, Oregon Delicacies
Attached Thumbnails
PDX.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 04:23 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
Scrapple!

The farther I got away the mid-east states, DE, MD, PA, the harder it was to find and in most cases unable to find it.
I was going to mention scrapple, the Amish really know how to make that, maybe I'll bring some of that also.
Old 01-16-2015, 06:23 AM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Good one Donna! Those are real regional delicacies.
Old 01-16-2015, 04:50 PM   #14

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
100%

Quote:
We saw poutine mentioned on the forum so often and had no idea what it was, saw it offered as an appetizer on a menu in Wisconsin over Christmas and had to try it. Won't make that mistake again, either they didn't make it right or it is just plain bad stuff. As for our area, fresh, still warm, cheese curds from the Ellsworth Creamery in Ellsworth, WI are the best, they squeak when you bite them. www.ellsworthcheese.com If you have to refrigerate them, just nuke for a few seconds to rewarm and they are as good as fresh.
I have to agree with you on both counts . I tried poutine in Ontario ONCE and had the same experience .The cheese curds from Ellsworth are some of the best I have ever had and are a true Wisconsin treasure .The Packer brats from Louie's Meats in Cumberland Wisconsin are also a regional treat.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 10:21 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Mmmmm.......poutine. Soooooo tasty.

Mind you, I have had some not so great too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 06:31 AM   #16

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
We saw poutine mentioned on the forum so often and had no idea what it was, saw it offered as an appetizer on a menu in Wisconsin over Christmas and had to try it. Won't make that mistake again, either they didn't make it right or it is just plain bad stuff.
Poutine. I tried some once in Montreal. Did not like it, so I gave it to the dog. She eats everything. Well, almost everything......
Old 01-17-2015, 07:05 AM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Poutine. I tried some once in Montreal. Did not like it, so I gave it to the dog. She eats everything. Well, almost everything......
Hi: C&G in FL... Guess I needn't bother to bring any Poutine. Couldn't get any "Maple Wine" either!!! Welcome to Quai du Vin ~ Quai Du Vin Estate WineryAlf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 11:27 AM   #18

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Now you're talking! Portland has some great craft breweries. We Bendites are very fortunate to have fourteen craft breweries, two distilleries, and one cider maker in our town of less than 90,000.
Oregonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 09:36 AM   #19

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Mmmmm.......poutine. Soooooo tasty.

Mind you, I have had some not so great too.
Jim, you're reading my mind!
Greggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 11:41 AM   #20

Maybe, for those of us traveling to Osoyoos, we can bring some of these regional delicacies to the rally and during the beer swap on Friday night serve some? Not sure if scrapple goes well with beer but UTZ chips do and Berger cookies go with anything anytime...