Regrets - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2018, 03:51 PM   #21

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
We also would not do without the range hood. In both our former and current Escape we generally use it for two meals per day, and it conveniently and directly expels both humidity and contaminants from our cooking.
We have enjoyed the SAM-1 upgrade that Jim and Robert mentioned in earlier posts. It moves much more air and does it quietly compared to the stock hood. I agree that the hood has its merits if one cooks regularly inside. Just cleaned the metal mesh grease filter on Wednesday. I would hate to have that crude on the cabinets.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 06:13 PM   #22

Trailer: 2018 19'
Thanks for the helpful comments. Maybe it’s because it’s a 17b (small) or because that is the only sink so is used for everything. My decision for deletion on the build was based on pursuing the forum which some said that the max fan & kitchen window were adequate, have to remember to go outside & open vent then reclose when moving, one less hole in exterior & lastly had the stove vent removed in my prior Scamp. Will look up retrofits from little house of customs.
Old 03-03-2018, 08:44 AM   #23

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
Problems with head banging on the exhaust fan seem to be a short persons issue. My head banging issues are a little higher up. If I removed all items from my Escape that I regularly bump my head on, I would be camping in a trailer without a roof or A/C.
Yes, I’m more likely to hit my shoulder on the hood.

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 07:21 PM   #24

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
We have enjoyed the SAM-1 upgrade that Jim and Robert mentioned in earlier posts. It moves much more air and does it quietly compared to the stock hood. I agree that the hood has its merits if one cooks regularly inside. Just cleaned the metal mesh grease filter on Wednesday. I would hate to have that crude on the cabinets.
Another bonus that we never tried until this current trip is the night light. It is perfect to leave on during the night for a bit of light assistance when getting up to go to the can, yet is dim enough to not be intrusive. Works great in the 5.0TA for sure.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 08:47 PM   #25
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Another bonus that we never tried until this current trip is the night light.
We love that feature too. The SAM-1 is one of my favorite mods. No more dim little bulb when cooking, no more cooking odors, no condensation on windows, and no noise. And then the cool night light. The owner of the company is a class act as well, and even gives his cell number in case of questions. Kinda reminds me of the customer service I've had from Escape.
Old 03-03-2018, 08:52 PM   #26

Yes, I talked to him twice and got great service. He even discounted the price a fair bit for me to offset the expensive shipping to Canada.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-04-2018, 01:48 AM   #27

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mucram View Post
I love my 17b but I wish I had no range hood. Bump head, basically useless especially if max fan on & kitchen window open. Build sheet omitted range hood but during build Tammy called & said mistake was made, range hood installed. Offered rebuild but stupidly decided not to do this. In hindsight should have had the rebuild. Every time I bump into that thing I regret my decision. Just a bumpy heads up after many miles in Pearl. Still love her though. Just completed a 3 week trip thru Alabama hills, mojave preserve, Joshua tree, desert hot springs, Anza borrego, cathedral gorge, jackpot$$, boise.
Hi Julie,
Its a wonder we didn't see each other. I was at the Alabama Hills at about the same time, I think, as I recognize the fresh snow on the Sierras. What got me to leave was the weather forecast of 5' of snow @ 8000' and winds gusting to 95 mph the next day. The day I left it was a bit cool but sunny and nice. Hard to believe that a storm of that magnitude was coming. I made a run for Reno and was the last truck down I-80 before they posted "Chains only". That was quite a storm!

Julie, I'm with you about the range hood ..... WHAT A PIECE OF JUNK! I hit my head on mine all the time .... should you see one by the side of the road, its because I ripped mine out by the roots and threw it overboard.

Tom

As a side note: I'm just getting back from an almost 5K mile trip and I couldn't be happier with my trailer. No problems at all in spite of those rougher than rough Mexican roads. My trailer is the best ever .... except for that ..... ahhh ....ahhh... hood
Old 03-04-2018, 02:10 AM   #28

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
ulie, I'm with you about the range hood ..... WHAT A PIECE OF JUNK! I hit my head on mine all the time .... should you see one by the side of the road, its because I ripped mine out by the roots and threw it overboard.

Tom
Sounds like my grandson ( 18 mos. ). He's constantly walking into or tripping over things.
Attached Files
Old 03-04-2018, 07:36 AM   #29

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Another bonus that we never tried until this current trip is the night light. It is perfect to leave on during the night for a bit of light assistance when getting up to go to the can, yet is dim enough to not be intrusive. Works great in the 5.0TA for sure.
Yes, a very nice feature with just the right amount of light. The only minor issue in the 19 if you sleep with your head to the driver’s side is you are kind of looking directly up at the light. I’ve clipped a dish towel to the edge of the hood as a curtain and that works well. I could see it being perfect with the layout of the 5.0.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 09:42 AM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Yes, a very nice feature with just the right amount of light. The only minor issue in the 19 if you sleep with your head to the driver’s side is you are kind of looking directly up at the light. I’ve clipped a dish towel to the edge of the hood as a curtain and that works well. I could see it being perfect with the layout of the 5.0.
Or you could just sleep in the "normal" direction Dave - like normal people....[emoji23]
Old 03-04-2018, 09:47 AM   #31

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21'
Quote:
The Ventline has nice rounded corners.
Is it possible to swap out the Escape installed hood for the Ventline? If so, can you point me to a link?
Old 03-04-2018, 09:51 AM   #32
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHiker View Post
Is it possible to swap out the Escape installed hood for the Ventline? If so, can you point me to a link?
Yes of course you can swap it out. The biggest issue though isn't the hood, but the cheesy and ineffective fan. Here's a link to the Ventline in stainless, but it's sold by lots of vendors.

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Kitchen/...-20GC-F-1.html
Old 03-04-2018, 09:54 AM   #33

Quote:
I would bet it would be easy. Just in my phone, about to hit the road for our final leg home, so don't have a link, but pretty sure it is the 20"model from etrailer.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:03 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Yes of course you can swap it out. The biggest issue though isn't the hood, but the cheesy and ineffective fan. Here's a link to the Ventline in stainless, but it's sold by lots of vendors.

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Kitchen/...-20GC-F-1.html
Thanks for the reply. I like the looks, but definitely want an effective exhaust fan.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:09 AM   #35
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I like the looks, but definitely want an effective exhaust fan.
The Ventline works better than the stock Hengs range hood, but Jim did the retrofit of the SAM-1 Fan just as I did with the Hengs.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:20 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
The Ventline works better than the stock Hengs range hood, but Jim did the retrofit of the SAM-1 Fan just as I did with the Hengs.
So the SAM-1 Fan retrofit is applicable to both the Ventline and the standard Escape hood?
Old 03-04-2018, 10:22 AM   #37

Quote:
So the SAM-1 Fan retrofit is applicable to both the Ventline and the standard Escape hood?
Yes, just easier with the Ventline, and in my opinion, it looks better too.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:34 AM   #38

Quote:
Yes, just easier with the Ventline, and in my opinion, it looks better too.
Did you replace the original Escape hood with the Ventline or did you order your camper without the hood? I'm curious how complicated it would be to install the Ventline.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:39 AM   #39

Quote:
Did you replace the original Escape hood with the Ventline or did you order your camper without the hood? I'm curious how complicated it would be to install the Ventline.
I ordered with no hood and used the one sold with the SAM-1 kit.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:46 AM   #40

Quote:
I ordered with no hood and used the one solid with the SAM-1 kit.
Thanks for the reply!