Reinforced Walls on 21' for TV Mount - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-16-2019, 11:40 PM   #1

Trailer: sold Airstream\Casita -2019 21' Escape
Reinforced Walls on 21' for TV Mount

Trying to finish my build sheet and would like to have the option of mounting a TV bracket (centered) on Frig wall or Closet wall (don't really care for the ETI Wall Mount Extendable TV Arm). Would it be necessary to pay ETI to reinforce the Closet\Microwave wall? Not getting the closet shelves, so I'm thinking I could put a backer plate in closet. However, I do want to install the ELFA closet organizer later and wouldn't want any additional wood to interfere. I'm guessing I would have to pay ETI to reinforce the Frig wall for a centered TV mount. thanks
jumboscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:28 AM   #2

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 2017 GMC Canyon Duramax Diesel
We did not get a reinforced dinette/fridge wall in our 2019 E21 and that was a big mistake. We ordered the ETI TV mount, assuming it would be properly mounted. They installed the mount in such a fashion that the TV is at a 10 degree angle off horizontal when it is extended into viewing position. That was probably done so that all the mounting bolts in the odd shaped base plate would all hit the wall stud. Get that wall reinforced and mount your own articulating TV mount. I wish to heck I had done that. We do not like the ETI TV mounting solution at all.
Chama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 11:17 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I didn't get the reinforced wall in my 19 and managed to mount the TV arm on solid framing.

I'm not ordering any reinforced walls in my new 21 and don't expect I'll have any problems with similar mounting situations.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 11:43 AM   #4

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
We didn't get the reinforced fridge wall and sometimes wish we had.

We're looking at getting a 17" hi-res laptop to download movies from Netflix and/or attach a dvd player. So far we have 122 nights in the camper (not counting the nights in the local campground where we have a seasonal site when not away truly camping) and haven't missed the TV even once! However we've only had to spend one day inside in the rain 80 miles from the nearest city with entertainment.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 05-17-2019, 12:00 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
I wish the wardrobe and bathroom / bedroom wall in my 21 were reinforced
The reinforcing would have allowed me to mount items where I wanted and not be limited by where the studs are located .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 12:43 PM   #6

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Wow Chama! The same thing happened with us! We didn't get the reinforced wall by the closet and now, the way the TV mount is installed, the TV is crooked when in a certain position. Now we're trying to figure out how to either remount it (hard because the new holes would be so close to the existing screw holes) or just get a new mount altogether and figure out how to secure it. Thankfully, it's only the closet on the other side so we could brace it with more wood but what a pain.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 02:33 PM   #7

Trailer: 2021- 5.0
What is the thickness of reinforced vs non-reinforced?
Old 05-17-2019, 03:03 PM   #8

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by splicer View Post
What is the thickness of reinforced vs non-reinforced?
The wall is the same thickness - when they reinforce it the inside of the wall is solid plywood rather than just the framing in a few spots.
Old 05-17-2019, 03:05 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
We didn't get any reinforced walls in our 19' and do not feel as if we missed out on anything. We did get the Escape supplied TV mount (which was somewhat disappointing in terms of quality) and installed it myself. It has worked fine. On our 15B, I did order a different mount from Amazon

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01F2OZ0VM/...709270_TE_item

which turned out to be much higher quality than the Escape supplied mount and which we really like. We paid around $45 CDN plus shipping for ours.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 04:58 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
Now we're trying to figure out how to either remount it (hard because the new holes would be so close to the existing screw holes) or just get a new mount altogether and figure out how to secure it.
You can always use a piece of oak, large enough to attach to the existing framing and then attach the TV arm to it. Similar to what I did for my digital thermostat.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
08-12-2014 4-11-52 PM3_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 11:29 PM   #11

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
We reinforced both side walls of the closet in our 21' just in case we decided to add shelves in the future, and that allowed us to use machine bolts rather than wood screws to fasten our TV mount more solidly. I had to remove the microwave to get to the back side of the wall for the big fender washers and vinyl lock nuts I used, but that wasn't a big deal. We like the mount sold by ETI at the time of our purchase, and the location allows us to swivel the TV to view from the dinette and from the bed, and actually through the entry door if we want to keep an eye on the weather radar while outside. I wish we would have had ETI add a 12V DC outlet on the overhead cabinet along with the 120V AC outlet so we wouldn't have to dangle the power cord down to the drawer stack 12V outlet, but I'll add that some day when the weather makes us stay inside for a bit.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC09248.jpg   DSC09250.jpg  
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote