Repair work on hole on fiberglass - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2014, 04:22 PM   #1

Trailer: 2010 19 ft.
Repair work on hole on fiberglass

Last spring while waxing my 2010 19 ft, I came across a small hole and a bunch of cracks at the back of my trailer. Not happy but filled in the cracks and hole last year with crazy glue which prevented any further cracking. Just got it back today from Dave at Spiderworks and what a fantastic job he did. I can't see or feel the damage. I think a rock hit the back bumper and was shot forward and did the damage. If in need of fiberglass repair call Spiderworks, in for 24hrs. only.

Robin
rharel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 04:29 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
thanks Robin. It is good to know that there is someone local who can do these types of repairs.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:48 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
By any chance did he tell you what product(s) he used for the repair?
Old 09-17-2014, 01:44 AM   #4

No Myron he didn't and I didn't ask. Spiderworks is a fiberglass repair shop and he works mainly on boats. He has a small shop, there was an older Boler in for repair same time as mine. He put a gel coat on also.

Robin
Old 09-17-2014, 11:20 AM   #5

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
There are all kinds of Gelcoat repair kits available on line. The trick is matching the colour exactly. Escape Industries should be able to help with the colour. I have done a lot of work with fibreglass (the front fenders of my'56 F100 are fibreglass and I owned a Bigfoot before the escape.). I would strongly suggest not making temporary repairs with any non fibreglass product. It will contaminate the fibre glass. (Silicone seal is an absolute killer). I am sure that Dave at Spidreworks had to grind out all of that crazy glue before he could make a proper repair.
GerriJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 11:28 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
After my boat had been bashed many times going through 394 locks across Europe, yes, we did keep track, it had some major spider cracks to repair.

Basically the materials are, fg filler for damage below the gel coat level and hopefully, color matched gel coat. Using a process called cello finishing it's possible to do virtually invisible repairs.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 02:11 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Yes, that's what in a previous FB trailer life exactly what I did... went to my nearest West Marine store... right after many fine hours of exotic curses while clearing out the previous owner's silicone patch disaster.
Attached Thumbnails
ScampRepair.jpg  
Old 09-17-2014, 03:22 PM   #8

Hi Myron and GerriJ, yes Spiderworks had to grind out the crazy glue before repair. In my defence I sent pictures of damage to Reace and asked for help as we were leaving for a three week holiday in two days and I wanted to prevent further damage. He offered none, for liability reasons would be my guess. I was on my own and crazy glue was suggested for a temporary repair till a professional could do the repair. The crazy glue worked well for us, but might not work well for others.

Robin
Old 09-17-2014, 04:31 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Using a process called cello finishing it's possible to do virtually invisible repairs.
Ah! You reminded me of a repair my dad did on a dune buggy many years ago. He filled the repaired area with the gelcoat then covered it with an acetate sheet ( kinda like cellophane). When he peeled it away and then buffed a little you couldn't see the repair.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:52 PM   #10

Trailer: 2007 Escape 17B (sold); Currently 2013 19
For all of you Vancouverites/lower mainlanders, does anyone know of a company that does good fiberglass repair locally?
lorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:14 PM   #11

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrie View Post
For all of you Vancouverites/lower mainlanders, does anyone know of a company that does good fiberglass repair locally?
Escape have done fibreglass repair to their trailers in the past. It's obviously not their primary business but they still may be interested in helping you.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:34 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
[QUOTE=rbryan4;67111]

He filled the repaired area with the gelcoat then covered it with an acetate sheet ( kinda like cellophane). When he peeled it away and then buffed a little you couldn't see the repair. /QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm really dating myself when I mention that process. It seems to have disappeared as a term. Also, the acetate sheet that works really with that process, the perfect combination of thickness and flexibility, are sheets of acetate that were commonly used on overhead projectors, another item that belongs to another era

Lot's of boat places in the Vancouver area can do excellent glass repairs. I've raced big boats for years and seen lot's of banged up boats repaired to perfection. One that I've had personal experience with on a major job was Fraser Fiberglass.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:46 AM   #13

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19 "Tortuga"
for a temporary fix Marine Tex works well. It's a 2-part mix that provides a toothpaste consistently that can be patched over a booboo. stay away from glues and silicone caulks. to repair you have to remove ALL the filler and get down to the glass fibre, then it's pretty straightforward body work. grind, glass, resin, gelcoat, sand, sand, sand.... itchy and not fun but rewarding when your done! Professional boat repair shops do a great job and can generally match gel coat colors, tho Escape should be able to source the original gel.

we have worked in the f/g kayak industry for 25 years!

steve
flatpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:06 AM   #14

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
Glad to hear you were able to get it repaired.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote