RIP to our Escape 19 - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-19-2018, 08:54 AM   #61

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The premium, perhaps? If an insurance company is covering the cost of a new item, rather than the actual value of the item, they will pay out more and thus will charge higher premiums.

One issue is the low depreciation of Escapes. Few people carry insurance on their car to replace it with a new car after more than a year or two, because the premium would be ridiculous and the vehicle clearly depreciates. With minimal depreciation, replacement of an old trailer with a new one makes more sense... at least for a few years.
Full replacement from Progressive was only $45.00 more per year than Allstate's depreciation based insurance for my fully loaded 21. I'm willing to pay that rather than fight to get a fair evaluation of a fiberglass trailer.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:24 PM   #62

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Full replacement from Progressive was only $45.00 more per year than Allstate's depreciation based insurance for my fully loaded 21. I'm willing to pay that rather than fight to get a fair evaluation of a fiberglass trailer.
Jon we have Progessive since day one but they will only give you full replacement for 5 years which this is the last year for us . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 02:13 PM   #63

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
That's not surprising on a one-year-old trailer. The difference in premium should increase as the difference in potential payout (the price of a new trailer versus the depreciated value of the insured trailer) increases with age. And as Pat and Eric have said, you can only get it for a few years, at any price.

Does anyone have new-replacement insurance on, say, a 2006 Escape?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 02:33 PM   #64

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Does anyone have new-replacement insurance on, say, a 2006 Escape?
I have full replacement on my 2009. Insurance company hasn't indicated that it is coming to an end.
Verbally the agent assured me that I would get a new 17B.

I have third party liability from ICBC in addition.
Attached Thumbnails
Insurance.jpg   Insurance copy.jpg  
Old 04-19-2018, 02:40 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I have full replacement on my 2009. Insurance company hasn't indicated that it is coming to an end.
Verbally the agent assured me that I would get a new 17B.
Wow. I wonder if anyone else could get that on a decade-old trailer? And what the premium would be without new replacement value coverage?

I have the same company (not the same broker) for my motorhome, and they didn't even offer full new replacement value coverage - no surprise there.

I also note that if Jon's total premium is similar to Glenn's, the extra premium for replacement value could be one quarter of the whole collision+comprehensive premium. Proportionately, that's a significant cost. Of course the actual number of dollars is not great, reflecting the relatively low probability of a total loss.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:10 PM   #66

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Wow. I wonder if anyone else could get that on a decade-old trailer?
I had it on my 19 until I got rid of it, and it was over 6 years old. After all it is just a dollar value they are insuring you for and can adjust the premiums accordingly.. Mine just went up a bit to $560 CAD a year for my 5.0TA. I did add the value of all the things I put into the trailer on the policy as well, so that amount would be tacked onto the replacement cost according to how it was built.

My daughter chose an amount of $10k for coverage of her 1976 Trillium 1300,and they insured for that amount.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 04:54 PM   #67

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I am paying ICBC about another $100 for license plate and third party liability.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:40 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I am paying ICBC about another $100 for license plate and third party liability.
Alberta policies normally include liability with the tow vehicle, and plates are unrelated to insurance here (no government insurance), so Jim's premium is probably for the same coverage (collision+comprehensive, no liability) as the non-ICBC coverage in B.C. The cost for the 5.0TA is higher than for the 17B due to the higher trailer value (and other factors, not related to liability and licensing).
Old 04-19-2018, 08:09 PM   #69

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
For those with Progressive, is that trailer insurance bundled with your car insurance, or stand-alone? I have a new car as of today, and currently have bundled car and trailer, but I want to change car insurance carriers.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:17 PM   #70

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
followup

I'm RooBarb's husband.

Thank you for all the kind words.

The insurance company has transferred the claim to the total loss adjuster, but we haven't heard anything yet from them. Our auto coverage is current value, not replacement value. Our home coverage has a limit on trailers that is well below the current value, so it is being processed as an auto comprehensive claim. We'll see how it works out.

I actually asked the last time I renewed our auto policy if I could get replacement-cost coverage. I was told no, that Massachusetts has semi-regulated insurance and the agent knew of no policies that offered it except for a few within the first year.

Oh, we had the 4" frame. :/

Bill R
Bill R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 08:30 PM   #71

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill R View Post
Oh, we had the 4" frame. :/

Bill R
Did it hold up well, any cracks or breaks in it?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 08:36 PM   #72

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
For those with Progressive, is that trailer insurance bundled with your car insurance, or stand-alone? I have a new car as of today, and currently have bundled car and trailer, but I want to change car insurance carriers.
Our vehicles are insured with State Farm . Out long time agent suggested to go with Progressive because of the full replacement ,for the trailer . I believe now they have better insurance for our trailer so will check State Farm out next time . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 11:40 PM   #73

Trailer: 2003 Scamp 16' SOLD , 2008 Airstream 19'
Glad you were not asleep in the trailer!
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 03:17 AM   #74
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
after decades of CSAA (AAA) auto insurance, they annoyed my wife enough a few years back she shopped, we had Farmers for a little while but the local agents were lame, so now we have Progressive.

Farmers couldn't seem to cope with our multiple vehicles too well. for awhile we had like 7 cars (between my wife and I and 2 college kids, and a spare junker truck, and ....), they ALWAYS got stuff messed up on the policies and took 3-4 tries to get it sorted out when we had any sort of change. Progressive just seems to have their act together. I already used them for years with my motorcycle (BMW R1100RS sport-tourer) insurance, since CSAA wouldn't insure bikes.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 08:43 AM   #75

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
My Upstate NY based Progressive full replacement trailer insurance is $399.00 US per year on a $43,905 CA Escape 21. It is stand alone. My vehicle & home insurance is Allstate, although it may soon change to Progressive. I've had good service from Allstate, but they are quite a bit more expensive than the quote I got from Progressive.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:46 AM   #76

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
For the trailer insurance USAA contracts it out to Progressive thru USAA so I’m assuming in their fashion they’ve determined it is the best option. And Progressive has Flo so what else does one need.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 11:57 AM   #77

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I am looking at Amica for car insurance. They are highly rated by Consumer repts and i have several friends/family that are happy with their prices and service.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:17 PM   #78

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
My regular home and auto company works with Progressive and recommended that I use them for the trailer (and if I had any other "toys" like 4 wheelers or motorcycles) as they said that Progressive was able to provide better coverage at a lower cost than they could.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 06:48 PM   #79

Trailer: none
Oh, I'm so sorry. But glad you weren't in it!
DonnaLandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 06:17 PM   #80

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
followup

Several people requested a followup.

Coverage was through our auto comprehensive insurance policy at current value.

Trailer contents was not covered unless permanently installed. Our trailer is our second home, so we had stuff in it, and some was fine and some was not.

I did all the chainsaw work to limb the tree and clean up all the branches and debris. The remaining tree trunk was over 1000 pounds and the insurance company needed a week to decide whether to repair or fix the trailer, so they told me not to damage it further removing the tree. So I had a tree guy to lift it out with a Bobcat and dispose of the trunk. That was over $1000 and not covered by auto or home insurance. When I complained, the insurance company said to submit the tree trunk removal bill and they would consider reimbursement. To my surprise, they did reimburse for the tree trunk removal.

Since there is no NADA or Kelly Blue Book values for Escape trailers, the insurance company valuation averaged the last asking price of 3 recent Escape 19 listings. Two of them had less options than ours, so I asked for a modest amount more and the insurance company said yes. I did the options analysis and probably could have gotten a bit more, but they paid the tree removal, so I didn't try extracting every last dollar. The valuation ended up 93% of what we paid in 2014 or 88% of a new similarly-equipped 2018. Note that this is the valuation, so their payment was the valuation minus the deductible. Loss of use is not covered, nor is travel cost to pick up a new or used trailer.

The insurance company said not to remove any factory-installed parts, as they get something from the salvage. I honored their request. Sorry to those who PM'd asking for parts.

I hope no one ever has to deal with this. But if you do, maybe this information helps.

Bill R
Bill R is offline   Reply With Quote