Road Service - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2016, 07:05 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Road Service

Never having had an RV before we are uncertain as to what kind of road service to get. We currently have AAA and have used it a couple times for flat tires on our car or truck. Never had to be towed anywhere yet. What are the best options? We plan on spending most of our time out west if that makes any difference. Good Sam, AAA or others?

What happens when you are towing an Escape 21 and your tow vehicle breaks down? Do they tow the entire rig or does the 21 get left behind? If it takes a few days before the dealer gets the parts how do you get your trailer to a place where you can use it?
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 08:36 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Check with AAA, each state is different. In Pennsylvania only a trailer with a motor, or motor home is covered. Naturally your tow vehicle is covered. Good Sam Road service includes 2 tow trucks being sent, one for your tow and one for your trailer, most likely a flatbed. They will tow your trailer to closest campground and your tow vehicle to nearest repair facility.
Old 11-19-2016, 09:06 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
We have Good Sam. Their plan is set up around being able to handle both your vehicle and RV. As Jim said they will tow both if needed. We have had it for many years and never used it and hope we never have to. It's peace of mind in case we ever should need it. They also cover all the cars we have even if we are not towing.
Old 11-19-2016, 09:10 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Check with AAA, each state is different. In Pennsylvania only a trailer with a motor, or motor home is covered. Naturally your tow vehicle is covered. Good Sam Road service includes 2 tow trucks being sent, one for your tow and one for your trailer, most likely a flatbed. They will tow your trailer to closest campground and your tow vehicle to nearest repair facility.
It is even different within states. I can get trailer coverage in the Central NY AAA, my friends in the Binghamton area 190 miles away in the Southern Tier AAA can't.

Same thing with their RV books (sectional Woodalls Campground Guides). We get them free, some AAA sections charge anywhere from 1/2 to full price for them.
Old 11-19-2016, 09:52 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: stephen99... Guess we're lucky!!! We have CAA Plus RV. I'm sure like all insurance you only find out the extent of your coverage when you actually dial 1-800-tow-myrv. Our cars have always been covered by CAA. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 12:25 PM   #6

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I looked for one that would cover longer tows as I planned on traveling in sparsely populated areas, kind of like having catastrophic med insurance. Most plans have a $ or mileage limit so read the coverage limits and get one that fits your needs. I also needed a plan that would tow 5th wheels.

I went with the standard RV plan from Good Sam. 10 years and have yet to call them so I can't speak from experience.
Old 11-19-2016, 12:35 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Good Sam Roadside assistance is great. It will get your truck to the shop and your trailer to someplace safe where you can stay. It also covers any other vehicles. You do get a lot of crap sales stuff from them for other services but I have made use of the roadside assistance a couple of times, good service, no charge all good but the repair bills!
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 01:02 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: stephen99... I usually find that when I need a service call from CAA, thousands of others need it too!!! We did have a hot weather call once. Went to a Scamp camp in Shipshewana Indiana. It was so hot and humid that it killed my truck battery. I found out that too hot is just as bad as too cold!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 03:05 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
CAA Plus RV coverage will tow your trailer (regular CAA coverage will not), and will tow both your tug and your trailer if that is what is needed. CAA is associated with AAA, and both consist of local member "clubs" which vary in their service offerings. An ongoing subject of debate is what services you'll get when you buy one level of service at home, and need service in another area which doesn't offer that level. My impression (but just an impression) is that CAA clubs are more consistent across Canada than AAA clubs are across the U.S., since I haven't heard of any issues with differences.

No company actually has the trucks to handle every service which they offer, so contractors are used. My guess is that Good Sam has no equipment at all and works through local contractors for all services, but even CAA (which has extensive truck fleets in major cities) uses contractors in less populated locations. If they don't have a suitable tow truck for your RV, they contract it.

When my Focus died and I called the CAA (BCAA in that case, because it was near Hope, B.C.) the truck which came was a little unusual - it had the usual wheel lift but no recovery boom; the driver explained that they had this truck with no boom so it could have a fifth-wheel hitch, for the fifth-wheel RV trailers... obviously they're prepared for travellers with trailers.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 06:25 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Road service

We have had AAA road service for over 35 years. We have had their RV coverage for about 6 years but have never used it. We have used their auto service several times both for our cars and my work truck. A recent event made me start asking questions about the "service" they provide when we are on the road with our RV and a soon to be 5.0TA. So far our questions go unanswered. Have any folks out there had break downs in so called "rural areas" like Montana, Wyoming, upper British Columbia or the like. When they say that they provide service in the " US and Canada", I expect them to do it. Have any of you gotten service from AAA in the rural parts of the US and Canada?
Starbrightsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 06:28 PM   #11

Steve,
Here in Pennsylvania, AAA does not cover trailers, just motorized rvs. I had to switch to Good Sam for that reason. Their website should tell you this.
Old 11-21-2016, 06:42 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I have BCAA RV Plus membership. I've not had call to use it.

RV Coverage
 Eligible Members are entitled to service and towing for recreational vehicles.
 An RV is defined as any vehicle or trailer with living space and/or amenities used for leisure and camping activities. This includes but is not limited to, dual wheel campers, motor homes, fifth wheel trailers, travel and tent trailers, camperized vans, truck and camper.
 RV coverage is required for towing service for horse trailers, utility trailers and boat trailers.
 Standard ERS conditions apply.

NOTE: they will not tow a trailer containing animals ( IE. horse trailer with animals aboard ).
Old 11-21-2016, 07:21 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Steve,
Here in Pennsylvania, AAA does not cover trailers, just motorized rvs. I had to switch to Good Sam for that reason. Their website should tell you this.
Just checked my AAA RV PLUS for Washington State and Jim is right for us too. Towing is at owner's expense. Switching to GoodSam.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 07:37 PM   #14

I would double-check with a Washington state AAA agent. It makes no sense to me that BCAA would cover my tow and trailer in Washington state or any other state and all of Canada, but that AAA wouldn't cover your trailer. They are all affiliated.

BCAA says:

RV coverage

What RV coverage is

BCAA provides service and towing for motor homes, trucks with campers and recreational trailers. We change your flat tire, or provide tire service if we can't.
How to add RV coverage

RV coverage is optional coverage that can be added to your CAA Plus and Premier Membership types
What you should bear in mind

If you have a flat tire, parts are the Member's responsibility. And if you need towing, BCAA can't tow any trailers with livestock inside them at the time of service.

BTW: I tried to Google Wash. AAA but, get redirected to BCAA.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:50 PM   #15

AAA does cover some rv's, just the kind with a motor, not all rv's are trailers....
Old 11-21-2016, 07:57 PM   #16

What I posted from BCAA says what they cover and it includes trailers, and they are affiliated with AAA so if I need assistance anywhere in the US I am covered.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:44 PM   #17

AAA/CAA coverage does seem to vary by club, with those examples in the U.S. not offering coverage for trailers. This does not necessarily mean that those of us with CAA (AMA, BCAA, etc) Plus RV are not covered - it would be up to our CAA clubs to reimburse the local CAA/AAA contractor for the services received.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:46 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbrightsteve View Post
Have any folks out there had break downs in so called "rural areas" like Montana, Wyoming, upper British Columbia or the like. When they say that they provide service in the " US and Canada", I expect them to do it. Have any of you gotten service from AAA in the rural parts of the US and Canada?
I think you're asking about "remote", rather than "rural" areas. My home is rural and the place where my Focus died was rural - neither is in an urban area; that's not an issue. Now, if you are an hour's drive from the nearest civilization - and that's a small village - is there still service? I don't know; I think they should, but I haven't needed it.
Old 11-21-2016, 09:04 PM   #19

Plus coverage increases the range for a tow. BCAA Plus is 160 kilometers or nearest garage. Basic is only five kilometers or nearest garage. RV adds RV.
Old 11-21-2016, 09:06 PM   #20

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Sorry about posting another BC response, but there are doubtless a lot of Canadians who
might care to hear my experience near 100 Mile House. My truck's right rear brake broke at the base of an 8 mile, very rough forest service road with pull outs in case you meet someone coming the other way. I had already taken my trailer up to the lake (8 miles up the mountain) and was on a trip to town to pick up stuff and phone my wife. BCAA called a local towing service who arrived promptly and offered to take me back to the trailer to collect my clothes (the repair required me to stay in town) and let my fishing buddy know what was going on. I nearly went through the roof of the tow truck as we bounced up the road. When I expressed my gratitude to the driver, he said they will go up these recreational roads to rescue trucks or trailers. I continue to get the package of coverage that includes my trailer.

Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote