Road Update - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2013, 07:56 PM   #1

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Road Update

For those planning to travel to Canada's maritime provinces, here is the latest road update. We travelled from Fredericton, New Brunswick to Sydney, Nova Scotia on TransCanada hiways 2, 104, and 105. Other than a few bumpy areas in construction zones close to Moncton, NB the roads were great.

One other tid-bit. We were planning to take the ferry over to Argentia, Newfoundland and go to St. John's. However, when we found out that it would cost close to $1,000 for us, the truck and the 19, we had a change of heart. Also, one of the North Sydney to Port aux Basques ferries smashed into the dock at North Sydney and was damaged so badly it had to be sent to Halifax for repairs. The North Sydney to Argentia ferry was pulled off that route to fill in so that means there is no ferry from North Sydney to Argentia until late August at the earliest. So, to get to St. John's you now have to go from Port aux Basques which will take two days. Just a "heads up" for those interested.

Doug
NuthatchBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:22 PM   #2

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuthatchBC View Post
For those planning to travel to Canada's maritime provinces, here is the latest road update. We travelled from Fredericton, New Brunswick to Sydney, Nova Scotia on TransCanada hiways 2, 104, and 105. Other than a few bumpy areas in construction zones close to Moncton, NB the roads were great.

One other tid-bit. We were planning to take the ferry over to Argentia, Newfoundland and go to St. John's. However, when we found out that it would cost close to $1,000 for us, the truck and the 19, we had a change of heart. Also, one of the North Sydney to Port aux Basques ferries smashed into the dock at North Sydney and was damaged so badly it had to be sent to Halifax for repairs. The North Sydney to Argentia ferry was pulled off that route to fill in so that means there is no ferry from North Sydney to Argentia until late August at the earliest. So, to get to St. John's you now have to go from Port aux Basques which will take two days. Just a "heads up" for those interested.

Doug
That's great info , thanks so much for posting these updates . We will not go to NFL on our trip - just not enough time . We only have 6 weeks , and it seems one needs that in NFL alone ( maybe even to justify the expense ) . We plan to go as far as Halifax/Lunenburg - unless there are storms to keep us away . Enjoy your travels .
Old 08-14-2013, 04:49 PM   #3

Been off the grid for a few days, here's the latest road update for the Maritimes. For anyone traveling through or to Nova Scotia, here is a head's up: The main hwys are generally in good shape. There were a few bumpy sections up toward Cape Breton. However, on most every hwy bridge in the Prov. there were major bumps at both ends of the bridge where the deck meets the hwy. A couple were so severe our 19' came right off the road. These are 110kmh roads so there is no slowing down. The secondary roads are pretty well all bumpy and patched. The country is beautiful and certainly worth seeing despite the road issues.

P.E.I.: The main roads are pretty good. Secondary roads are okay but we ran into a couple really BAD ones in sections. There are so many homes and businesses for sale here. The future looks gloomy for this Prov.

By the way, we used the Confederation Bridge to get here. The weather was good so we had great views. It takes about 20 minutes to cross, pay at departure from the island.

Heading west to BC tomorrow. Lots more to see and do.
Best regards, Doug and Kathy
Old 08-14-2013, 06:23 PM   #4

Wow ...some of that doesn't sound too good . We don't really want to be driving at 110km - well..... maybe on the prairie provinces - but not in NS or PEI . Thanks for all the info and the warning about the bridges . Hope you didn't suffer any damage with that . You seem to be covering a lot of territory in a short time , how long are you travelling altogether ? Thanks and safe travels !
Old 08-14-2013, 09:54 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
We may have spotted you... We were at Cavendish from August 4th to 8th. While we were there, there was another 19 and a 5.0.

(and, coincidentally, here it's "Doug and Cathy"... )

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:42 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
We were there in June & July, and I have to agree with the road conditions, although I only tow at 60 MPH or slower, so I didn't try to keep up with the traffic (which, but the way seemed to be doing well over 110kmh, at least on the main highways). The secondary roads did give the trailer suspension a workout! Like Doug said, they are well patched, but the lumpiest roads I've driven.

I also found that my Garmin GPS, even with the latest map updates and avoids set for no dirt roads managed to find a bunch of them as well as dead ends.

Had a great time & wish we could have stayed longer. Nova Scotia Trip.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
We were there in June & July, and I have to agree with the road conditions, although I only tow at 60 MPH or slower, so I didn't try to keep up with the traffic (which, but the way seemed to be doing well over 110kmh, at least on the main highways). The secondary roads did give the trailer suspension a workout! Like Doug said, they are well patched, but the lumpiest roads I've driven.

I also found that my Garmin GPS, even with the latest map updates and avoids set for no dirt roads managed to find a bunch of them as well as dead ends.

Had a great time & wish we could have stayed longer. Nova Scotia Trip.
Glad to hear one doesn't absolutely need to keep up with 110 km per hour , that could be pretty difficult if the connection from hwy to bridges all have a bumps , have no wish to fly off the hwy . Love all your photos !
Old 08-15-2013, 06:29 PM   #8

I'm still in Cavendish site 218 right on the beach, here till Aug 23. As someone born in in the Maritimes I find that the best speed of all is 0 mph or kph easy to convert and both great
Attached Thumbnails
WIN_20130815_191420.JPG  
Old 08-15-2013, 10:57 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Yeah, but the litres/100km at that speed really sucks!

(I think that was Robert I saw at Cavendish, judging from the site location... We were in site 28 -- our group argued water front vs. further back, but in the end the fire pit won the argument).

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:35 AM   #10

Careful with those division by zero calculations, I figure I'm getting fantastic mileage

I've also been making good use of the low pressure external propane connection option and my campfire in a can to mitigate the evening chill out here by the shore
Attached Thumbnails
WP_20130813_001.jpg  
Old 08-17-2013, 04:31 PM   #11

QUOTE: We were there in June & July, and I have to agree with the road conditions, although I only tow at 60 MPH or slower, so I didn't try to keep up with the traffic (which, but the way seemed to be doing well over 110kmh, at least on the main highways).

OMG 60kph!?!? On the main roads in Quebec, the speed limits are 100 or 110kph. 60 kph is the lawful minimum. We traveled at 95-100kph and we still had people blowing by us like we were standing still. We were obviously going too slow for the locals because a few flipped us off as they went by, probably in French. I returned the favor in English.

While in Cavendish, PEI we stayed at the KOA and didn't see any Escapes.. You other guys were likely in one of the other private parks or the Nat'l. park.

One more night in Quebec then it's on to northern Ontario for some serious canoeing.

Doug & Kathy
Old 08-17-2013, 07:47 PM   #12

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
We were there in June & July, and I have to agree with the road conditions, although I only tow at 60 MPH or slower...
Quote:
OMG 60kph!?!?
No, Jon said 60 miles per hour - about 97 km/h.

The speed limit on major highways in Alberta is 110 km/h, and the slow lane typically moves around that speed, but it isn't uncommon for some vehicles to cruise at 100 km/h without problems. When towing our Boler, I rarely cruise over 105 km/h.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:58 AM   #13

Ah, that makes more sense. I replied to that last night after driving for 8.5 hours. Should have been more attentive.

Doug
Old 08-18-2013, 04:48 PM   #14

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
On the main roads in Quebec, the speed limits are 100 or 110kph... We traveled at 95-100kph and we still had people blowing by us like we were standing still. We were obviously going too slow for the locals because a few flipped us off as they went by, probably in French.
I was favourably impressed by the drivers in Montreal, where they showed the ability to handle traffic and merge sensibly that comes from experience in a major city. On the other hand, on Highway 40 between Quebec City and Montreal I noticed a few drivers (more than I have seen elsewhere in similar situations) following stupidly closely, with no good reason given the light traffic conditions.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:12 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I was favourably impressed by the drivers in Montreal, where they showed the ability to handle traffic and merge sensibly that comes from experience in a major city. On the other hand, on Highway 40 between Quebec City and Montreal I noticed a few drivers (more than I have seen elsewhere in similar situations) following stupidly closely, with no good reason given the light traffic conditions.
Hi: Brian B-P... NEAR SIGHTED!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:30 PM   #16

Trailer: sold it
Quote:
QUOTE: One more night in Quebec then it's on to northern Ontario for some serious canoeing.

Doug & Kathy
Hi Doug & Kathy.
Where do you plan on canoeing? We're in North Bay and have paddled most everything anywhere near here.
Regards,
John & Barb
Old 08-19-2013, 01:48 PM   #17

Hi John,

We're currently at the Renfrew KOA. We're off to Algonquin Park tomorrow and plan to spend a couple of days canoeing the Madawaska River there. We were actually just debating whether to go up Hwy 11 to North Bay or take Hwy 69 to Sudbury (we're on our way back to BC). Any suggestions?

Doug
Old 08-19-2013, 02:19 PM   #18

Quote:
Hi John,

We're currently at the Renfrew KOA. We're off to Algonquin Park tomorrow and plan to spend a couple of days canoeing the Madawaska River there. We were actually just debating whether to go up Hwy 11 to North Bay or take Hwy 69 to Sudbury (we're on our way back to BC). Any suggestions?

Doug
Well ... if you are going to be in Northern Ontario for a bit ( enroute back to BC ) , we are going to be arriving in Geraldton Ontario at the White Wolf Resort on Sept. 6th, checking out the places we lived back in the last century !! Beautiful country - lots of lakes great fishing and canoeing .
Old 08-19-2013, 09:06 PM   #19

Trailer: sold it
Quote:
Hi John,

Doug
We're going down to Wasaga tomorrow to sell one of our boats and we're going down 11 and back up 69. Since we live in North Bay we don't often get over to 69 so I don't know it well - but there are some real pretty spots around the French River. I'd guess it'd be a bit shorter for you to go up 69, and you'll likely go further than even Sudbury the day you head back.
Safe travels...