Running an air condition on generator? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-09-2019, 10:06 AM   #41

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
You know Myron. it is not uncommon for those microwaves to break their plate while traversing some of your paths you have taken.... just saying, broken plate, may as well remove the micro and use the space as a nice pantry....
You leave the turntable in the microwave when traveling? We always take the glass turntable out and store it in the wardrobe as part of our checklist before hooking up to leave.

Never had one break.
Old 12-09-2019, 11:12 AM   #42

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
You leave the turntable in the microwave when traveling? We always take the glass turntable out and store it in the wardrobe as part of our checklist before hooking up to leave.

Never had one break.
Neither have any of ours broke, as we do not get one, it was a tongue in cheek comment for Myron to justify not having a generator for the microwave if the microwave is "broke"...
Old 12-10-2019, 06:10 AM   #43

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
We use our microwave on solar without problems. 300 watts of panel and an inverter type microwave - batteries back to 100% within a few hours even on cloudy days.
How did you get a 300 watt panel? I think the one they are selling me is 190W. Is it permanently mounted?

This brings up a whole slew of questions, like what is the recharge rate of the current panel?

Are the panels interchangeable as technology provides new solutions?

How well do the 190W panels keep up with system demands? Assuming moderate electrical draw.

Could you guys educate me a little on the 12 volt system? I have watched all the orientation videos already. So I have some idea.

Thanks.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 07:10 AM   #44

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
How did you get a 300 watt panel? I think the one they are selling me is 190W. Is it permanently mounted?
Tom and others have installed their own flexible panels.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f3...tml#post275692
Old 12-10-2019, 07:47 AM   #45

Looking over my build sheet, I noticed there is an option for a second 190W solar panel. I am thinking that might be a good add on.

I have no idea how much electricity we will use. Is one panel usually sufficient? Anyone wish they would have added a second one?

I am not concerned about the additional money up front. I want to get this right the first time.

Not going to do an after market solution if I can two from the factory.

Make sense? Any thoughts?
Old 12-10-2019, 07:51 AM   #46

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Tim, you going to have to "plan" there is that word again your daily needs for 12v power- start here and read parts one and two The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)

I have found the single solar and dual six volts is adequate for my planned type of camping....if you are a power user with inverters and a lot of 120v appliances, then yes more solar
Old 12-10-2019, 07:59 AM   #47

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:

This brings up a whole slew of questions, like what is the recharge rate of the current panel?

Are the panels interchangeable as technology provides new solutions?

How well do the 190W panels keep up with system demands? Assuming moderate electrical draw.

Could you guys educate me a little on the 12 volt system? I have watched all the orientation videos already. So I have some idea.

Thanks.
Define moderate demand . We survived for 6 years with a single 12 V battery and a 100 watt portable solar panel . Only once did our battery get close to the dreaded 50%
We now have dual 6 V batteries with two factory rooftop solar panels ( Approx 350 Watts )
and again we have never gone below 50%
If you are concerned that a single 190 watt solar panel might not fit your needs then have Escape install a exterior Zamp connector so you can plug in a portable solar panel

Solar reminds me of the old AA adage ( paraphrasing) “ One watt is too many and a thousand watts is not enough “
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 10:22 AM   #48

Trailer: Escape 17B, July 2019
Quote:
Looking over my build sheet, I noticed there is an option for a second 190W solar panel. I am thinking that might be a good add on.

I have no idea how much electricity we will use. Is one panel usually sufficient? Anyone wish they would have added a second one?

I am not concerned about the additional money up front. I want to get this right the first time.

Not going to do an after market solution if I can two from the factory.

Make sense? Any thoughts?

My thoughts.....some may have wished they had ordered a second panel, I doubt anyone that ordered a second panel ever regretted it..if you have the cash get it........budget in a better solar controller and proper battery monitor if you intend spending time off the grid.....flexible solar panels are nice but much more expensive, they have lower outputs and generally have a much shorter life, they have less drag at highway speeds.....
Bob
Lanark Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 11:11 AM   #49

This is exactly my thinking. I loaded this trailer up already. I am not even going to flinch over $500. On she goes.

I am a little embarrassed over how extravagant we are in this purchase. But I am only doing this once. I hope.
Old 12-10-2019, 11:12 AM   #50

That guide is a big help. Almost done with the first read. It answered a bunch of questions for me. Thanks Jim!
Old 12-11-2019, 01:07 PM   #51

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Another option is to have the 190 on the roof and a portable folding panel. you can have ETI pre wire a solar plug. The portable advantages because you can point and angle it to the sun. remember no matter how many panels you have. At night you will only have the capacity batteries . depending on your requirements you may opt for more battery
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 08:55 AM   #52

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
AC. And Genset

We have a few generators aYamaha 2400 I which ran the Dometic 1100 on our E21 The problem is the Yami weighs 75-80 lb with fuel Wasn't bad 15 years ago when I bought it but a little to heavy for me now So I bought the Onan Cummings 2500i that weighs less then 50 lb It ran the AC for awhile but then I had problems with the capacitor it blew So I decided to just replace it and add an easy start kit
I’ve been looking for a replacement for my Yami for years but none of the cheaper brands would run the AC I’m hoping this Onan 2500i will be good

BTW always use non ethanol Gas and run gas out of carb or drain carb we also use full synthetic oil after break in
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 12:07 PM   #53
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
We have a few generators aYamaha 2400 I which ran the Dometic 1100 on our E21 The problem is the Yami weighs 75-80 lb with fuel Wasn't bad 15 years ago when I bought it but a little to heavy for me now So I bought the Onan Cummings 2500i that weighs less then 50 lb It ran the AC for awhile but then I had problems with the capacitor it blew So I decided to just replace it and add an easy start kit
I’ve been looking for a replacement for my Yami for years but none of the cheaper brands would run the AC I’m hoping this Onan 2500i will be good

BTW always use non ethanol Gas and run gas out of carb or drain carb we also use full synthetic oil after break in
Appreciate your tip! Please let us know how your Onan Cummings 2500i works for you. That looks like a nice one. - Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 11:29 AM   #54

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Need something to run the fridge when dry camping that will also easily run my AC ...if and when I need it. I am leaning toward buying the Firman 3300 generator.

Initial reactions:

Compares favorably to the Honda. Two hundred bucks cheaper, At 90 pounds is heavier, but it will work at up to 9,000 ft elevation. Made in AZ, has great customer service. Buyers claim it runs quiet, electrical start, eco mode, 1.8 gal fuel cap., runs 9 hrs. A little bulky but, all the smaller models though easier to lift do seem to be better suited for much lower loads or require expensive smart controls on the ac.
Old 06-24-2020, 12:23 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Need something to run the fridge when dry camping that will also easily run my AC ...if and when I need it. I am leaning toward buying the Firman 3300 generator.

Initial reactions:

Compares favorably to the Honda. Two hundred bucks cheaper, At 90 pounds is heavier, but it will work at up to 9,000 ft elevation. Made in AZ, has great customer service. Buyers claim it runs quiet, electrical start, eco mode, 1.8 gal fuel cap., runs 9 hrs. A little bulky but, all the smaller models though easier to lift do seem to be better suited for much lower loads or require expensive smart controls on the ac.
Myron: With all due respect I think you are going in the wrong direction on this one. I know your refrigerator operation has been challenging but I would not want to be in a position to have to constantly run a generator to keep the refrigerator operating. What do you do when traveling? What do you do on warm nights? That is very restrictive and the noise will most definitely take away from your camping experience. It's another thing altogether to run it occasionally for air-conditioning. If the refrigerator works ok on AC power then the cooling unit must be ok. The only difference is the source of heat. I wonder if you have another shop give the propane operation a full look over if they might come up with something. Having refrigeration that can run on propane is such a great benefit in our trailers. That is why I spent so much time getting our RM2510 to perform. As another alternative have you thought about the 12V cooler/freezers or the 12V compressor fridges? Having one of these paired with some solar and decent battery bank would be a quiet, emissions-free alternative.
Old 06-24-2020, 12:45 PM   #56

Appreciate that, Rubi. The fridge works great but only on shore power and on battery power so the thinking is, fire it up on shore power overnight before a trip, then switch it to battery power but only when towing, to keep it cold in transit. Then, when dry camping using the generator to maintain the cold fridge temps. My remote temp sensor will monitor that, so I would only turn on the gen. when like, it begins to rise over 43 degrees.

I have very rarely had the need for AC but should the need arise when dry camping it seems nice to have the option there, hence the bigger generator - like at 59db's. No way I expect to run a gen all night in any case.

Have not given up on the propane problem, for sure. Will probably pull fridge out this week and address the issues raised here and at my other postings.

The altitude issue being the large one, it seems. This would also thereby be addressed. That's the major rub. I have found the propane heat source cools it at under 5500 feet altitude and in fact Tom's RV had it working well on propane, in ABQ.

Alternative seems to buy a better fridge, but that's more than the cost of a generator.
Old 06-24-2020, 01:25 PM   #57

Quote:
The fridge works great but only on shore power and on battery power so the thinking is, fire it up on shore power overnight before a trip, then switch it to battery power but only when towing, to keep it cold in transit. Then, when dry camping using the generator to maintain the cold fridge temps. My remote temp sensor will monitor that, so I would only turn on the gen. when like, it begins to rise over 43 degrees.
Got it. Didn't realize you had 3 way fridge so you have the option for 12V while traveling. I'm still hopeful you can get the propane working at altitude. At what elevations do you usually camp? I will do some research. Being on the east coast we don't have the same challenges with elevation.
Old 06-24-2020, 01:34 PM   #58

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
I would only turn on the gen. when like, it begins to rise over 43 degrees.

Which won't take long, unless you don't open the fridge door to get stuff out.
Old 06-24-2020, 01:49 PM   #59

Putting up big solar panels on the roof is I suppose another option. Won't do that. Don't like the look, and, would you believe we had a brief hailstorm run though here yesterday? Just marble-sized.
Old 06-24-2020, 01:59 PM   #60

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Not for an argumentative reason, strictly electrical draw, would a completely separate panel say 170 watt, and dual 6 volt batteries keep a refrigerator like Myron’s below 40 degrees in the same altitude and climate conditions where 110 volt power would? Assuming hot sunny weather, say 85 F and summer sun a good percentage of the day? Trailer in the sun, me in the nearby shade or under the awning.
Iowa Dave