Running an air condition on generator? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-02-2019, 11:22 AM   #21

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
But someone notated that diesels do not emit the dangerous fumes that kill

I'd double-check your source. There must be a reason why the city of London is banning diesel powered vehicles from downtown.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:46 AM   #22

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I'd double-check your source. There must be a reason why the city of London is banning diesel powered vehicles from downtown.
Jim is right if he was implying there is less CO, but still a bunch of nasty stuff in diesel emissions....

From the European Respiratory Journal:
"Of the motor vehicle generated air pollutants, diesel exhaust particles (DEPs) account for a highly significant percentage of the particles emitted in many towns and cities. Complete combustion of diesel fuel produces water and carbon dioxide, but use of diesel in motor vehicles normally results in incomplete combustion and the formation of various gases, liquids and solid particles. Compared with petrol engines, diesel engines produce far less carbon monoxide, but give rise to a greater amount of nitrogen oxides and aldehydes, which are particularly prone to cause irritation of the upper respiratory tract. Diesel engines also produce submicron soot particles that are believed to mediate several of the observed adverse effects."
Old 12-02-2019, 12:26 PM   #23

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Correct, CO2, carbon dioxide is what we exhale and CO, carbon monoxide is what kills and is emitted from engine exhaust.
Old 12-03-2019, 03:05 PM   #24

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Some have run their A/C on a 2000W gen without issue. Some have had trouble. One variable is elevation. Installation of a SmartStart device is a solution that has worked for some. Our Dometic Penguin 11,000 BTU rooftop A/C ran ok by itself on a Honda EU2000i generator but our 9,000 BTU mini-split with inverter compressor runs much better due to the lower load.

Your best bet is a site search for “A/C on generator”. Many threads on the topic.

That mini split install has me thinking. I could just order without air on roof. Not sure if i could do without front storage box. One of my complaints about my casita is lack of outside storage (well inside to)
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 04:38 PM   #25

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
That mini split install has me thinking. I could just order without air on roof. Not sure if i could do without front storage box. One of my complaints about my casita is lack of outside storage (well inside to)
Different ways to do it. What model Escape are you considering? On our used 19 that already had rooftop A/C I removed it and just put in a Fantastic Vent. It didn’t have a front storage box (weren’t available yet) so batteries were moved inside and condenser put on the tongue. For outside storage we put a Stowaway box on the rear. Inside unit recessed in front cabinet which was a rare option I’m glad the trailer had. Usually it’s just a shelf.

On a new 21 that I worked on for a fellow forum member he ordered without rooftop A/C. Since he wanted the front box I moved the tire up front under the a-frame on a winch and located the condenser on the rear on a custom platform with vibration isolators and flexible refrigerant lines. Inside unit recessed in rear cabinet with custom opening width (thankfully) provided by ETI.

PM me if you want to discuss further.
Old 12-08-2019, 07:12 AM   #26

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Do most people carry a generator with them?

Hi Everyone:

I am new to this starting in May. Does everyone carry a generator with them at all times (more or less)? How often do people use them? I realize more in the Summer months and at low elevation.

Should I go buy one now and bring it up with me when I get the trailer?

Thanks.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 07:27 AM   #27

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
Uncle Tim, the answer is it depends. We live in AZ, at times in the summer even at high altitude it is hot, sometimes not. We did not go anywhere this past summer. We are at places in the winter and into spring. Some people go to the PacNW and avoid the need for A.C., others only go to electric campsites. What are your plans is the answer.
Old 12-08-2019, 07:45 AM   #28

Shoot, now I have to have a plan.

Learn as I go, I guess.

I come from a backpacking and tent camping background, so minimal equipment, zero footprint and respect were the prime directives. We would never put up with a generator present. So I really don't know much yet!

My guess is I get the Honda 2200 and see what happens.
Old 12-08-2019, 07:48 AM   #29

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
Hi Everyone:

I am new to this starting in May. Does everyone carry a generator with them at all times (more or less)? How often do people use them? I realize more in the Summer months and at low elevation.

Should I go buy one now and bring it up with me when I get the trailer?

Thanks.
A lot depends on where , when and how you camp . We have used a generator only once in our ten years of FG ownership and that was to charge our trailer battery . ( Solar / Cloudy )
I would not purchase a generator until you put your trailer to use for a while and determine you have a real need for one
Hauling stuff around that you don’t need / never use just makes camping more complicated
IMHO
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 07:59 AM   #30

If you plan, there is that word again, your trailer set up, everything will operate off 12v/battery.solar and propane in the trailer. Your pump, fan, furnace,stove, refrigerator, everything. Only for a/c will a generator be needed. So for those times we get a cg with hookups, or go up in altitude, or down in the valley, where it is cooler. I had a generator once, sold it 10 years ago and now, 90,000 miles of camping later, still do not miss it.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:31 AM   #31

I was hoping I would hear this! I think we will just sit on that one until we gather some experience. I would love it if we did not need one and so would all the other campers!

I worry about getting pinned down with a three day storm and no hookup. That will happen as we camp on the margins of the year in high elevation states, like Colorado, Utah and Wyoming to name a few.

I am thinking the solar charger would help recharge the batteries. Would the generator charge the batteries? Does the juice enter the charging system or is it limited to just air conditioning?

What must it be like to have 90,000 miles under your belt? I can only imagine and work real hard to find out!
Old 12-08-2019, 08:32 AM   #32

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Have to agree with Jim and Steve. Never had a generator, never wished I had one. Talking after 36K camping miles here. The batteries have served us well - our electricity needs are minimal and our solar panels take up any slack when we boondock. Can honestly say my only need for generator power would be for the air conditioner (used it 2-3 times in 6 years) or, just because (the same logic applies to cars) ...when you want the generator you want the generator.
Old 12-08-2019, 01:15 PM   #33

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I have a 2000w generator, brought it along for the 1st trip to Yellowstone and didn't use it, it's been in the basement since then (2014).
We only go to the hotter areas in the winter, so I have little need to run the A/C. The few times we've run into hot weather we've found a more or less local commercial campground so we have hookups.

Our single 160 watt solar takes care of everything else but then we are not big power users.

Unless your 1st trip is down south into the heat, you could pass on the genny and play it by ear.

FWIW... we camped in Chirachowa National Monument in AZ in February for 6 nights in the shade with pretty much nothing from the solar. We were at 60% on the 2 6v batteries when we left, that included running the furnace. Unless you have a single 12v battery I'd not be concerned about 3 days in the dark, just leave the inverter off if you're getting one when needed.
Old 12-08-2019, 01:35 PM   #34

That is an $1100 expenditure I just crossed off my list.

I already owe you guys!

Thanks.
Old 12-08-2019, 01:51 PM   #35

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
How much power does an electric guitar and amp use when run 3 hours a day, enough to make a difference?
Old 12-08-2019, 03:12 PM   #36

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Oh, I forgot to mention the only other appliance we have that would require a generator (or shore power) would be that microwave dear one insisted on getting.
Old 12-08-2019, 03:17 PM   #37

You know Myron. it is not uncommon for those microwaves to break their plate while traversing some of your paths you have taken.... just saying, broken plate, may as well remove the micro and use the space as a nice pantry....
Old 12-08-2019, 05:35 PM   #38

Laughing over here!

The amp is 180 watts maxed out. Voice and guitar. I play using the lower third of the sound envelope.I could put a meter on it and see.

But I could use the Bose S1 Pro on battery power and avoid most of the power drain and then charge it over the course of the day. Trickle charge it. 6 hour battery, Not as good as the Fishman Loudbox Performer (180 watts), but I know I have to make sacrifices.

I have other options too. All of them can be cut off with headphones. We''ll just have to see. Some of them are Mac only. Hardly any power drain there, no matter how much I scream.

You guys are starting to make me laugh. I love this.
Old 12-09-2019, 08:01 AM   #39

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Of course Firman makes a 2100W peak generator too, at almost half the weight to compete with the Honda EU2000/2200i. This is an option for those of us that know we can run the A/C with a single generator. For those that want more power and don't want a heavier generator you can always buy two and parallel them. Not suggesting that but I know guys that do it that way. These are also the guys with bigger trailers, bigger trucks and they run the generators at NASCAR races where 100's of other generators are already running. The trailers are so close that the risk of CO poisoning is real.

https://www.firmanpowerequipment.com...verter-w01781/

sent you a pm
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:03 AM   #40

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Oh, I forgot to mention the only other appliance we have that would require a generator (or shore power) would be that microwave dear one insisted on getting.
We use our microwave on solar without problems. 300 watts of panel and an inverter type microwave - batteries back to 100% within a few hours even on cloudy days.