Running refrigerator on propane, when gone bicycling for the day - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2018, 10:30 PM   #1

Trailer: August 2017 17b
Question Running refrigerator on propane, when gone bicycling for the day

Is it unsafe, downright stupid .....or otherwise inappropriate to leave your trailer for the day, while the fridge is left running on propane?

Am planning on cycling on Idaho's Weiser River Trail, in a couple weeks. We're returning to the trailer at a NFS CG, each evening, and no doubt will be looking forward to some cold SOMEthing, when we get there. Though I have solar, I don't know how shaded the site will be....and don't even know yet the capacity of the solar to handle the job, anyway.

This is my first full season with my Escape, and this Escape my first RV experience..... So....very much appreciate taking advantage of others' knowledge and experience!
sumac.rhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:32 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumac.rhus View Post
Is it unsafe, downright stupid .....or otherwise inappropriate to leave your trailer for the day, while the fridge is left running on propane?
If it is, count me on the stupid side. We do it routinely.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:41 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19 (TV: 2007 Chevy Tahoe)
Don't think it's "unsafe", nor "stupid" to run the fridge on propane when away. We ran the fridge for three weeks on propane while traveling out west. This included while camping, and traveling. The fridge is made to run on propane, so have at it.
I don't know if you could run it off the battery all day while you are away? There are better voices on this forum than mine to handle that question.
Gary
pkgman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:44 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Maybe you should ask if it is safe to run the fridge on electricity all day while you are away.
If propane or electricity were unsafe, neither would be installed in multi thousands of trailers world wide.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:46 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
We leave home with it on, sometimes are gone for long periods of time and turn it off when we're back in the driveway. The only exception is for compulsory shut downs on ferries. I understand there's also some tunnels with mandatory shut-downs but I've never been through one.

And of course this will open up the "you have to shut it off when re-fueling debate" which I don't do.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 11:22 PM   #6

How reassuring!!!
Thanks so much!
Old 08-10-2018, 12:04 AM   #7

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:32 AM   #8

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I am with stupid.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:40 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
I understand your concern, and you are not the first to voice it, but it certainly is fine to leave it on. If for some reason the flame should go out, the gas valve will shut down. Lots of safety features built into the fridge, and furnace too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
We leave home with it on, sometimes are gone for long periods of time and turn it off when we're back in the driveway. The only exception is for compulsory shut downs on ferries. I understand there's also some tunnels with mandatory shut-downs but I've never been through one.

And of course this will open up the "you have to shut it off when re-fueling debate" which I don't do.

Ron
Exactly what we do.

Left on the auto setting, if plugged in it automatically defaults to 120V, but you have to watch as if you are not connected to 120V and run out of propane(or it is not on like on a ferry), it switches to 12V.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
I am with stupid.
Stupid is as stupid does - Forrest Gump
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:10 AM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Stupid, here.
In fact I now set it for propane instead of auto and just leave it on propane even when we have hookups. Our fridge just runs better on propane - happy fridge happy life!
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:11 AM   #11

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA
Quote:

Am planning on cycling on Idaho's Weiser River Trail, in a couple weeks. We're returning to the trailer at a NFS CG, each evening, and no doubt will be looking forward to some cold SOMEthing, when we get there. Though I have solar, I don't know how shaded the site will be....and don't even know yet the capacity of the solar to handle the job, anyway.

This is my first full season with my Escape, and this Escape my first RV experience..... So....very much appreciate taking advantage of others' knowledge and experience!

I leave mine on propane for the whole trip and never shut it off and have never run into any problems.

I would be interested in your thoughts of the river trail, it looks interesting.
Barry

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:16 AM   #12

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
[QUOTE=Jim Bennett;258319
Left on the auto setting, if plugged in it automatically defaults to 120V, but you have to watch as if you are not connected to 120V and run out of propane(or it is not on like on a ferry), it switches to 12V.

Stupid is as stupid does - Forrest Gump [/QUOTE]

Is this how the new fridges work? My "old" one can only go to 12v if manually selected.

Happy Motoring
Stupid
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:49 AM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
If you have a choice, try to park your trailer so that the side containing the fridge is on the north side. That helps it work better, from my experience.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:53 AM   #14

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
If you have a choice, try to park your trailer so that the side containing the fridge is on the north side. That helps it work better, from my experience.
Only if you are camped in the northern hemisphere. In the southern hemisphere you should camp with the fridge side of the trailer facing south.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:26 PM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
When in the wide open with no natural shade, I prefer to park with the 'street side' (where my fridge is) on the west to northwest side of the trailer, facing the sunset. may not be most efficient for the fridge, but sure makes the curb-side under-awning space more comfortable in the heat of the afternoon.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:13 PM   #16
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Stupid, here.
In fact I now set it for propane instead of auto and just leave it on propane even when we have hookups. Our fridge just runs better on propane - happy fridge happy life!
The only way I can hit zero degrees in the freezer is on propane. Needed to keep wifeys fudge bar ice cream rock solid

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:41 PM   #17

Thank you all for your suggestions/advice/reassurances! Am all the more excited about enjoying the luxury of my propane

I think so many smokey days (August fires are in full bloom) got me started having images of a major forest fire source being traced to an unwitting person's Escape trailer being left unattended....

(Such a ready imagination for disaster can be really annoying.)
Old 08-10-2018, 10:47 PM   #18
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Thank you all for your suggestions/advice/reassurances! Am all the more excited about enjoying the luxury of my propane

I think so many smokey days (August fires are in full bloom) got me started having images of a major forest fire source being traced to an unwitting person's Escape trailer being left unattended....

([emoji23]Such a ready imagination for disaster can be really annoying.)
There's nothing wrong with being cautious. Propane systems, just like any other flammable fuel system, can be dangerous if not properly installed, operated and maintained. Fortunately the use of a propane absorption fridge in an RV has many decades of experience under its belt, and is proven relatively safe.
Old 08-11-2018, 05:57 AM   #19

Trailer: 2008 Casita STD
Thanks for the question. I've owned a trailer for over 10 years and just now learned: for many it works well just to leave it on propane during your entire trip!
freetodream is offline   Reply With Quote