Rv gps - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2017, 05:43 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA "Wild Thing"
Rv gps

Does anyone have experience with the Rand McNally RV GPS TripMaker® RVND™ 7730LM?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Sisababe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 08:23 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have an earlier version of the Rand McNally GPS, great maps on their website and you then upload to your device. But my truck has GPS so mine has not been used for awhile.
Old 06-24-2017, 09:27 AM   #3

Thanks for the input. My truck has GPS and I'm wondering if the RV specific tools in the RM RV version like bridge clearance and propane restrictions are worth it.

Old 06-24-2017, 10:36 AM   #4

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
I have the Garmin RV GPS. I have to laugh - it keeps telling me "sharp corners ahead" when it's set for the truck and trailer. I get there. Yeah, not sharp at all. But when I do get to some really sharp corners it doesn't always tell me that.

Yeah, I know the reasons. I just laugh anyway.

Otherwise, it seems to work fine. I don't have experience with the other brand, so can't compare. We've always had the Garmin brand.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 11:59 AM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Garmin's website has a downloadable POI Loader. POIs are points of interest. There are tons of POI files on the internet like dog parks, quilt shops, low clearances, etc. and most are free. Essentially, you can customize your GPS to notify you of whatever you want if someone has created a POI file for it.
Old 06-24-2017, 02:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
I have the Garmin RV GPS. I have to laugh - it keeps telling me "sharp corners ahead" when it's set for the truck and trailer. I get there. Yeah, not sharp at all. But when I do get to some really sharp corners it doesn't always tell me that.

Yeah, I know the reasons. I just laugh anyway.

Otherwise, it seems to work fine. I don't have experience with the other brand, so can't compare. We've always had the Garmin brand.
[emoji2] Funny!

Old 06-24-2017, 02:31 PM   #7

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Anyone know if Garmin works any better with Macs than it used to? I can't update anything on mine without going to a PC (and couldn't get it to work at all without registering it from one.) Some years ago, though.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 03:57 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
Anyone know if Garmin works any better with Macs than it used to? I can't update anything on mine without going to a PC (and couldn't get it to work at all without registering it from one.) Some years ago, though.
I have no problem with updates on my Mac, although I usually have to download a new version of Garmin Express before every update.

As to Garmin Basecamp, I find it the worst routing software I've ever attempted to use. Don't know if the PC version is as bad, but I gave up on it long ago.
Old 06-24-2017, 05:54 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
I've had no problems updating Garmin maps with Garmin Express on my MacBook Pro. I don't use Garmin's other software for Mac.

However, I should add that I recently gave up on the Garmin GPS altogether. Its internal battery failed recently, and by then I'd had enough of it. Currently I use CoPilot software on an Android tablet. It works okay, but none of these things work as well as they should by now imho.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 06:53 PM   #10

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Rv gps

I use a Garmin RV 760 LTM. For the most part I like it.
It does not "like" some routes and I have to add a bunch of waypoints to get it to stay on the route I want. Examples: the Natchez Trace Parkway or the Blue Ridge Parkway. Those two may be special cases, but occasionally I run into the same problem on other routes.
I like to travel scenic routes and find it difficult to get it to stay on the road I chose over a long distance if there are faster routes nearby. It's always trying to route me the fast way. Sometimes I find places it just doesn't want me to go. I go anyway and can find no reason for the problem (like a low bridge or something else). The RV 760 was originally based on a trucker's GPS. These "forbidden" spots may be bad for an 18 wheeler, but the GPS knows the length and height of my rig because I entered it.
GPS systems typically allow you to choose shortest distance, fastest route, or most economical route. RV GPS systems should also allow options for most scenic route or route with the fewest turns. You may think scenic routing is unrealistic, but my Rand McNally Road Atlas clearly shows the scenic routes. I would pay for a new GPS today if I could get those routing options.
I get around this by picking a route using my Road Atlas and then put it into the GPS. Although the Garmin Basecamp software sucks, I can built a difficult route like one of the Parkways faster in Basecamp than directly on the GPS. If I could say route me for the fewest turns, I could put a point a waypoint at the beginning of the Parkway and it should keep me on it for 500 miles (no turns).
I also have the Garmin rear view camera that displays on the GPS. It's OK, but I don't find the rear view cam very useful EXCEPT on those occasions when I make a bad turn and have to back up a few feet. Then it's invaluable.
Although I've spent a LOT more time saying what I don't like, despite the occasional frustrations, I like my Garmin a lot.
I've never used the Rand McNally GPS so I can't comment on it.
FYI LTM means lifetime maps and traffic. The traffic feature hasn't been very useful, but the detour feature can be quite useful. Most GPS systems probably have that.
Rich
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 07:49 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
...but none of these things work as well as they should by now imho.
I just use an old-fashioned paper map. Works for me.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 09:23 PM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
That works well for me Karen if I have a "navigator". Solo, not so much. I drive every week pretty much, in a town I'm unfamiliar with. Can't imagine doing it without a GPS.

Old 06-24-2017, 09:28 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 5.0TA (July 19, 2017)
Quote:
Hi Karen - We feel the same way a lot of the time! However, a GPS comes in very handy to direct us to specific places in any city or town (a particular restaurant, gas station, etc. - and then get back to the highway). When navigating between towns on a road trip we still use our good ol' Rand McNally road atlas (to give us the big picture).
Perhaps the best feature of a GPS is to show you where you are currently - you can't ever be lost if you know where you are!
Happy travels!
John
LatLongJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:03 PM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
That works well for me Karen if I have a "navigator". Solo, not so much. I drive every week pretty much, in a town I'm unfamiliar with. Can't imagine doing it without a GPS.
Ha! I did it for twenty years in my working life and the only time I got into trouble was getting into the wrong lane on the GW Bridge and getting dumped off into the Bronx. Scary...this was the '80s. But I somehow managed to get back on the parkway.

I'm not pooh-poohing modern technology with regard to using GPS systems. I just get along fine without it so don't get stressed out when it goes haywire. I can just pull over, take a deep breath, and "re-calculate" on my own.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 11:25 PM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
That's something I need to learn to do better - stop and take a breather. I have improved in some areas though. I don't speed anymore.

Well, except on foot, at an airport. Most folks would be hard pressed to keep up.
Old 06-25-2017, 01:05 AM   #16

Quote:
I have to admit there have been a few occasions when I've had a GPS and a paper map and I *still* wasn't sure exactly where I was. It was quite frustrating.
Old 06-25-2017, 01:15 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReagentGrade View Post
I use a Garmin RV 760 LTM. For the most part I like it.
It does not "like" some routes and I have to add a bunch of waypoints to get it to stay on the route I want.

Rich
I have also discovered that you can "trick" a GPS into giving you the info you want. But the tricks are brand-specific: the ones that work for Garmin don't work for Magellan or the CoPilot software.

CoPilot's thing is an extreme affinity for interstate highways. I was trying to find a Camping World near Spokane. I found it, but even when I was parked in front of the store, CoPilot wanted me to drive to the nearest intersection with I-90 then drive back. It's like I had to tag third base before running to home plate.

And no GPS seems to like the word "fairgrounds" (try it). It's like the word is not in the dictionary. Lots of interesting things happen at fairgrounds: craft shows, antique shows, ham radio events, uh... fairs. And they often have cheap camping spots. But you can't find a fairgrounds with a GPS, at least not one that I've tried. I don't get it.
Old 06-25-2017, 05:32 AM   #18

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
Garmin

We also have a Garmin it has the rear camera option .We have a escape 21 witha Toyota Sequoia TV Will the wireless back up work all that way about 35ft or does it have to be wired ?
I was going to get the back up camera from ETI but they no longer put the transmitter up front and camera in back which worker well .Still deciding on camera Jim
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 06:43 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Garmin's website has a downloadable POI Loader. POIs are points of interest. There are tons of POI files on the internet like dog parks, quilt shops, low clearances, etc. and most are free. Essentially, you can customize your GPS to notify you of whatever you want if someone has created a POI file for it.
POI could be useful. Do you find the Garmin's directions accurate?

Old 06-25-2017, 07:01 AM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I have to admit there have been a few occasions when I've had a GPS and a paper map and I *still* wasn't sure exactly where I was. It was quite frustrating.
Hi: Mike Lewis... Most of the time I know where I am but Maggie Magellan is usually lost!!! She tells a bare faced lie, never apologizes, then just recalculates and by then we're already there!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote